• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American Federation Of Teachers and Remote Learning

Do You Support The AFT Recommendations Concerning Remote Learning

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

F1fan

Veteran Member
We're trying to "stop the spread." Those who get vaccinated and wear masks are on board with the mission.
Those who are anti-vax and anti-mask are keeping the pandemic alive.
It seems inevitable that Covid is endemic and going to be an ongoing threat to public health. The question to my mind is how many more will get gravely ill, and even die. It does become a moral question that the "freedom extremists" will have to answer to in time.

anna.

but mostly it's the same
It seems inevitable that Covid is endemic and going to be an ongoing threat to public health. The question to my mind is how many more will get gravely ill, and even die. It does become a moral question that the "freedom extremists" will have to answer to in time.

They don't want to answer it, because it would mean looking at what they've done to increase the likelihood that more people would die. Not very pro-life.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes but less because of covid and more because I think we should improve online learning continually until it can help us to individualize learning. I see very little social interaction happening during lectures, and a lot of students don't get a lot out of them and need the books alone. If a student wants to opt out of lectures we should be able to provide them an option to do that for many different topics. We could shrink class sizes by asking schools to work on developing such alternatives. We could diversify our curricula, too. Maybe shifting to remote education will result in some innovation.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
From the article:
"Cloth masks are little more than facial decorations. There's no place for them in light of Omicron," said CNN Medical Analyst Dr. Leana Wen, an emergency physician and visiting professor of health policy and management at the George Washington University Milken Institute School of Public Health, on CNN Newsroom Tuesday.
"This is what scientists and public health officials have been saying for months, many months, in fact," Wen added in a separate phone interview.
That's not what we have been told "for months, many months." That statement contradicts two years of widespread consensus that cloth masks are fine.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
From the article:

That's not what we have been told "for months, many months." That statement contradicts two years of widespread consensus that cloth masks are fine.

True. We know more now. And omicron spreads more easily so the recommendation has changed.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Since the majority of those dying tend to be those who've refused preventative measures, and the majority of those who've refused preventative measures tend to be conservative, I wonder if the death toll will have a significant impact on the voter turnout for their party.

When I'm in an especially snarky mood I observe that COVID tends to target the credulous.

A combo of both, remote and hands on class instruction would be ideal.

My sister and her 3 youngish kids had this.

It meant she was taking one child to school while the others were supposed to be remote learning at home under her supervision as they are not old enough to be home alone.

Basically made it impossible for her not to break at least 1 law regarding eduction attendance or child supervision.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Except people who followed the protocols got infected as well who spread it to others who follow the protocols. You'd rather believe in the protocols, fine.

Whatever the reason, they aren't working. Time to let go of this fantasy that we are going to stop the spread, yes?
As I said, whatever the excuse, it's not working. No reason to think it is going to start working.
Yes, it seems to me like the gist of conservative politics of the past decades has been to turn failure of governance into an excuse to invest even less into combating real, factual social problems.

It doesn't matter whether it's climate change, COVID, or literally anything else that actually matters and materially affects people's lives - the half-hearted half measures that managed to get pushed through against conservative-capitalist resistance "failed", which is then used as the perfect excuse to do even less and instead spend that money even more on the military-industrial complex instead.

On the other hand, imaginary and fictional problems that pander to public hysterias stoked by right-wing media (be it transgender people in restrooms, Political Correctness Gone Mad, Mexican Muslim refugee terrorists, or child sex trafficking rings disguised as pizza parlors run by Hillary Clinton) are always framed as a life-or-death situation in need of immediate attention.