• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American Federation Of Teachers and Remote Learning

Do You Support The AFT Recommendations Concerning Remote Learning

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Altfish

Veteran Member
In UK most of the Covid is being spread via schools. My granddaughter has just had it and about 20% of her school has it/has had it in the last month.

tytlyf

Not Religious
We're trying to "stop the spread." Those who get vaccinated and wear masks are on board with the mission.
Those who are anti-vax and anti-mask are keeping the pandemic alive.

anna.

but mostly it's the same
We're trying to "stop the spread." Those who get vaccinated and wear masks are on board with the mission.

How ironic that those who won't vaccinate and won't wear masks then accuse President Biden of mishandling the pandemic that they helped to increase and extend.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Since the majority of those dying tend to be those who've refused preventative measures, and the majority of those who've refused preventative measures tend to be conservative, I wonder if the death toll will have a significant impact on the voter turnout for their party.

esmith

Veteran Member
Since the majority of those dying tend to be those who've refused preventative measures, and the majority of those who've refused preventative measures tend to be conservative, I wonder if the death toll will have a significant impact on the voter turnout for their party.
Got any data to support your claim?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

It seems we failed.
Folks who get vaccinated, wear masks, follow the CDC protocols are still getting infected.

It is highly unlikely we are going to be able to "stop the spread" I suspect we need to learn to live with it.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Their premise is "returning students to school on Monday will inevitably make the crisis much worse" and is accompanied by a comment that there are not enough test kits.

I don't see where that is breaking with science at all. Having infected people in close contact spreads COVID - that is the science.

As far as what should be done? A local private school where friends are teachers is trying to keep open for in person learning. Here vaccinations are very high, mask wearing is mandatory, frequent testing is critical and parental concern about sick children spreading disease is alive. So here my answer is to keep the school open if at all possible.

In other areas where vaccination is low, hospitals are becoming overloaded again, mask wearing is sneered at, test kits are in short supply and parents will send sick kids to school, my answer is different.

I suspect the situation referenced in the OP is mixed.

anna.

but mostly it's the same
It seems we failed.
Folks who get vaccinated, wear masks, follow the CDC protocols are still getting infected.

It is highly unlikely we are going to be able to "stop the spread" I suspect we need to learn to live with it.

If we failed, it was because a significant minority of the population refused to help us not fail.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Got any data to support your claim?

You questioned "preventative measures". To me, #1 is vaccination. In the county I live in

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
In addition, for those that are wearing the cloth masks, they might as well be wearing no mask.
I'll go with what the real experts say, and that is a layered cloth mask that isn't old and that you can't see light through is adequate. Notice it never says here that cloth masks are ineffective, and it even encourages washable cloth masks.
COVID-19 and Your Health

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
If we failed, it was because a significant minority of the population refused to help us not fail.

Except people who followed the protocols got infected as well who spread it to others who follow the protocols. You'd rather believe in the protocols, fine.

Whatever the reason, they aren't working. Time to let go of this fantasy that we are going to stop the spread, yes?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Even though I really would like to see all children back in the classroom, local school districts may decide that it's too risky, especially since the covid rate is skyrocketing with the pre-18 set.

Also, based on what's been posted by some, it appears they don't give a diddly-damn as to how many children get infected or die as only their partisan political position is what seemingly only matters to them.

BTW, I checked "undecided" since it should likely vary from state to state and district to district, imo.

anna.

but mostly it's the same
Except people who followed the protocols got infected as well who spread it to others who follow the protocols. You'd rather believe in the protocols, fine.

Those vaccinated who get the virus anyway in part (maybe in large part) because it's been allowed increased spread due to people's willful and selfish disinterest in helping us not fail - those vaccinated are far likely to avoid hospitalization.

Whatever the reason

The reason is not enough people were willing to set aside their partisanship and pull together as community.

they aren't working.

Because not enough people were willing to set aside their partisanship and pull together as community.

Time to let go of this fantasy that we are going to stop the spread, yes?

The fantasy is that the willfully unvaccinated think they're not to blame for making the pandemic worse.

They are to blame. That's on them.

anna.

but mostly it's the same
I'll go with what the real experts say, and that is a layered cloth mask that isn't old and that you can't see light through is adequate. Notice it never says here that cloth masks are ineffective, and it even encourages washable cloth masks.
COVID-19 and Your Health

Cloth masks are better than nothing, but they're not as good as respirators.

"One might assume based on the technical name, “respirator”, that these would be some Darth Vader-style headpiece – cumbersome and difficult to breathe in. However it’s quite the opposite. These masks feature a high-tech material called electrostatically charged meltblown polypropylene (quite a mouthful). It features tightly spaced micron-sized fibres – about 1/50th the diameter of a human hair – that have an electrostatic charge applied to them to catch even smaller particles. This material can filter particles that are a just a few nanometres in size.

The most amazing thing, though, is that while providing nearly 99% protection from typical Covid respiratory aerosols, these materials also provide breathability that surpasses that of a typical three-layer cloth mask."

Some Covid masks are better than others. I know – I’m the Mask Nerd | Aaron Collins

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Those vaccinated who get the virus anyway in part (maybe in large part) because it's been allowed increased spread due to people's willful and selfish disinterest in helping us not fail - those vaccinated are far likely to avoid hospitalization.

The reason is not enough people were willing to set aside their partisanship and pull together as community.

Because not enough people were willing to set aside their partisanship and pull together as community.

The fantasy is that the willfully unvaccinated think they're not to blame for making the pandemic worse.

They are to blame. That's on them.

As I said, whatever the excuse, it's not working. No reason to think it is going to start working.