• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American church trying to establish its own police force

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
A church in the city of Vestavia Hills, Alabama, has launched a bid to establish its own private police force. While some lawmakers believe this will start a slippery slope; and that churches which are already exempt from taxation should not be allowed to interfere any further in governance. Still, others (Republicans, unsurprisingly) are willing to consider it.

In my opinion this sounds like yet another step in violation of the First Amendment. Religious police?

75788993.jpg

Your thoughts?

Oh, and here's a link to the story.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Honestly, there's a part of me that wants to see this happen just to laugh at the hilarity that will follow.

Other than that - a terrible idea. A real life God Squad.

buddhist

A church in the city of Vestavia Hills, Alabama, has launched a bid to establish its own private police force. While some lawmakers believe this will start a slippery slope; and that churches which are already exempt from taxation should not be allowed to interfere any further in governance. Still, others (Republicans, unsurprisingly) are willing to consider it.

In my opinion this sounds like yet another step in violation of the First Amendment. Religious police?

75788993.jpg

Your thoughts?

It would basically be an internal, private security force which enforces their own rules/laws - just like any other corporate body with their police force.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Please can they use Paul's description of the 'Armour of God' for the uniform:

picture122.png

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I'm curious what sort of crimes this congregation is experiencing that convinces them they need police powers to deal with the crimes? Are folks pilfering from the offering plates? Are the pastors statutorily raping the underage choir girls? Are ruffians spitting in the baptismal water? Just what's going on at this church that requires cops to deal with it?

Upon reflection, it seems to me most likely that the congregation wants its own police force in order to prevent other, outside police forces from meddling with whatever shenanigans the pastors and/or others are up to.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
It would basically be an internal, private security force which enforces their own rules/laws - just like any other corporate body with their police force.
I don't see a date on the article, but I seem to remember seeing/reading/hearing about this quite a while back.

No corporate body has police; they have security units, some of them larger and better equipped and trained that the local police. Hell, the security in some gated communities puts government law enforcement to shame in those regards. They can detain people, conduct investigations, patrol the premises, etc.

Now then, what happens if there is a conflict, a disagreement, between the church's "police" and the local police or state police?

Will they be authorized to use deadly force? Will they have the power to detain people who are not on the church's campus? Who is handling the prosecution of those arrested by the church police?

I see lots of unanswered questions, and potential problems, with a real private "police" force.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I don't see a date on the article, but I seem to remember seeing/reading/hearing about this quite a while back.

No corporate body has police; they have security units, some of them larger and better equipped and trained that the local police. Hell, the security in some gated communities puts government law enforcement to shame in those regards. They can detain people, conduct investigations, patrol the premises, etc.

Now then, what happens if there is a conflict, a disagreement, between the church's "police" and the local police or state police?

Will they be authorized to use deadly force? Will they have the power to detain people who are not on the church's campus? Who is handling the prosecution of those arrested by the church police?

I see lots of unanswered questions, and potential problems, with a real private "police" force.

The advantage a real, legal police force has over private security is that a real police force can prevent other police forces from operating on its turf (except in certain instances). This would be an immense advantage to any organization or institution that wanted to keep its dirty linen private. "Kylie says the pastor molested her? No problem. We'll have our church police investigate." If that seems far-fetched to you, just dig into the number of rapes on university campuses across the nation that are poorly resolved by university police in order to preserve the image of the university.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic

And that's what worries me. A parallel law enforcement body implies enforcement of a parallel legal system. What laws would they be enforcing? Can they do it adequately or professionally? Where does the jurisdiction of this body begin or end? How long will it be before they start arresting people who aren't members of the congregation; or are but commit their 'crimes' outside of church property?

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member

75788993.jpg

Your thoughts?

Hi Scot. We have hired security at the Bahá'í World Centre in Haifa, Israel. They are not Baha'is but they do carry guns. I think in a place where there's clear danger, some sort of protection is needed but as you say, we don't want 'moral police' like in Iran where they knock on your door and ask why you're not at the Mosque on Friday. Keep well.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm sure it work swimmingly. When the clergy commit crimes, the
police (who work for the clergy) will quickly bring the guilty to justice.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Its illegal. The US Constitution is the supreme law of the land. Private police forces enforcing church rules are not OK.