• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American Church accused of slavery

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
Brazilians have claimed the Word of Faith Fellowship Church of North Carolina has been luring people from the South American country under false pretences and have been exploiting them to perform manual labour on Church property as well as at businesses owned by senior Church ministers. They claim they've been forced to work unpaid, sometimes for as many as 15 hours a day after having their money and passports confiscated by Church officials 'for safe-keeping'.

The North Carolinan Church claims they are being persecuted.

Link

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
From reading the link, this is obviously a cult and nothing to do with Christianity, just saying.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
From reading the link, this is obviously a cult and nothing to do with Christianity, just saying.

Hi Lyndon. :)
Most sadly, some Christians believe that slavery is righteous, along with some other very strange ideas. The trouble is that Christian apostles wrote that slaves should obey their masters. Some crazies only need a couple of sentences like that and they won't listen to humanity or reason.
Want links? Here ya go.....
1 Peter 2:18 Colossians 4:1 Colossians 3:22
Ephesians 6:5 Titus 2:9

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
It's sad how often those who claim to serve Christ turn out to be very unchristlike.
I have a very simple test. People are fallible to be sure, but do they at least try to follow the two 'greatest' commandments upon which 'hang all the law.,..'

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic

What (other than slavery), in your opinion, distinguishes this group enough for you to consider them a "cult" rather than an average, run-of-the-mill American church?

Also, why do you believe slavery is contrary to Christian teachings?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I agree. I'm not a fan of Word of Faith speaking as an ex member but slavery isn't their MO at least as far as I can tell. Unless things changed of course.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Brazilians have claimed the Word of Faith Fellowship Church of North Carolina has been luring people from the South American country under false pretences and have been exploiting them to perform manual labour on Church property as well as at businesses owned by senior Church ministers. They claim they've been forced to work unpaid, sometimes for as many as 15 hours a day after having their money and passports confiscated by Church officials 'for safe-keeping'.

The North Carolinan Church claims they are being persecuted.

Link

These kinds of stories just fill me with rage. Not just because of the crime itself, but that this has been investigated for years, with dozens of witnesses (according to the AP article) - and yet they're still in business and operating. How do things like this go on without anyone doing anything about it? It makes no sense.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I thought WOF is a well-known 'prosperity gospel' scam?
Faith is funny like that. The believers do not see it like that. I would hope the reason this has been continuing to go on because they are wanting to build an air tight case against them before they start anything, because only will the church bring time-shot lawyers to court, victories for such groups are often interpreted as god/destiny being firmly behind them.