• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American Christianity: world domination?

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
American conservative Christians believe the US is a Christian nation based on Christianity. Because of this, some of them believe everyone either needs to be a Christian, or leave. If this is the case, why do they believe it's ok for them to go into other countries, who's primary religion isn't Christianity, and attempt to make them all Christian? And why do they believe that they can attempt to suppress the religious belief of non-Christians here, but cry foul when Christians are persecuted in non-Christian nations? Isn't this incredibly arrogant, or am I missing something?

Tumah

Veteran Member
I don't think Christians believe in world-domination. I found out that hard way that Christian fundamentalists were one of the primary initiators of the NWO conspiracy theories.

...unless that's all just a cover-up to distract from their true goals...

dum, dum, dummmmmmmmmmmm

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I would rather avoid generalizations, but sure, there is a strong or at least very vocal segment of American Christianity that drips arrogance and justifies it (or at least attempts to) with their beliefs.

In all honesty, for many of them it is a matter of simple lack of moral strength. They simply are weak that way and need lots of support and encouragement to even attempt to heal from that.

To be fair, it is not a given for anyone to learn better than such thinly-disguised ethnocentrism / tribalism / nationalism / chauvinism. Core human instincts are strong and feed such attitudes.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I really haven't noticed any "world domination" in my faith. But, at the same time and this is not limited to any religion/nationality/etc is that people seem to gravitate towards those who are like them. And I suppose there are those who try to force others to be like them and try and eliminate those who are different. That kind of thinking is reason for a lot of suffering in this world.

Adept

I don't think Christians believe in world-domination. I found out that hard way that Christian fundamentalists were one of the primary initiators of the NWO conspiracy theories.

...unless that's all just a cover-up to distract from their true goals...

dum, dum, dummmmmmmmmmmm

I always noticed that NWO goals always sounded exactly like the goals of the church: one religion, one god, complete control of the people, etc.

Tumah

Veteran Member
I always noticed that NWO goals always sounded exactly like the goals of the church: one religion, one god, complete control of the people, etc.

There was once this -I hesitate to say crazy, because I'm not sure if this is typical of fundamental Christian belief- lady who must have surfed through every conspiracy theory and developed an entire theory about how Jews are literally in control of everything from economics to history. The way she strung all these disparate elements together... It was a true masterpiece.

I when through every element of her theory and provided a countering example from Christianity and stung them together in the same format she used. For some reason she didn't agree that it was just as likely a scenario and then stopped talking to me.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
American conservative Christians believe the US is a Christian nation based on Christianity. Because of this, some of them believe everyone either needs to be a Christian, or leave. If this is the case, why do they believe it's ok for them to go into other countries, who's primary religion isn't Christianity, and attempt to make them all Christian? And why do they believe that they can attempt to suppress the religious belief of non-Christians here, but cry foul when Christians are persecuted in non-Christian nations? Isn't this incredibly arrogant, or am I missing something?

From my perspective, the Christians who believe the U.S. is a Christian nation founded on Christian principles (or as I hear more often "Judeo-Christian" principles), believe that the country is falling into decay the more diverse the country appears, where more religions, ethnicities, genders, and orientations become accepted into the mainstream.

To them, Christianity is the ideal that freedom ought to emulate. One has the free will to accept or reject Jesus, and suffer the consequences or rejoice in the bliss after making such a choice. To them, they don't feel as if they are suppressing the religions of others, but liberating them from their own perceived oppressive ideology. It seems, according to Christians, that other religions are either too burdensome or too morally lax. Christianity offers in their opinion the perfect balance.

I think they believe that it isn't domination, but freedom and compassionate justice they wish to bestow on the world.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
American conservative Christians believe the US is a Christian nation based on Christianity.
I doubt that every Christian who is a conservative beliefs that. Yet another stereotype.

Because of this, some of them believe everyone either needs to be a Christian, or leave.
Those that do believe USA is a Christian nation, not all of them are against religious freedom. Often times they simply want more church involvement in the government, but at the same time keep it moderately secular.

If this is the case, why do they believe it's ok for them to go into other countries, who's primary religion isn't Christianity, and attempt to make them all Christian?
An even bigger generalization. At this point you stereotyped three things: All Christians with conservative political beliefs also believe US is a Christian nation, all believers that the US is a Christian nation do not believe in religious freedom, and now that they want to invade other countries.

As I see it, it's simply come to over exaggeration and paranoia.

And why do they believe that they can attempt to suppress the religious belief of non-Christians here, but cry foul when Christians are persecuted in non-Christian nations? Isn't this incredibly arrogant, or am I missing something?

It's arrogant to generalize four different things on here, it's gotten to the point of being afraid of small fractions, dividing by each assumption you made.

Non-christian politicians are on the rise. Hopefully that leads to more deviation from the notion that the usa is christian nation based on christianity. We need less majority of one religion representing anything but their religions.

Parsimony

American conservative Christians believe the US is a Christian nation based on Christianity.
I can buy that to some extent, but I personally would like to think of the United States as a melting pot of religion. The laws guaranteeing freedom of religion are one of the best things about this country, in my opinion.

Because of this, some of them believe everyone either needs to be a Christian, or leave.
I can say that I'm not among that group.

If this is the case, why do they believe it's ok for them to go into other countries, who's primary religion isn't Christianity, and attempt to make them all Christian?
Because they believe that Christianity is unquestionably correct and thus the incorrectness of the rest of the world must be fixed. I can understand that reasoning, and indeed witnessing is a commandment of Christianity. However, there are different ways to go about doing it. I would prefer either witnessing by example or calm (and mutually voluntary) discussion instead of using threats and arguing. The latter will no doubt increase the negative views of Christianity to those who find out about it through such methods. That's quite obviously the opposite of what we would want to happen.

And why do they believe that they can attempt to suppress the religious belief of non-Christians here, but cry foul when Christians are persecuted in non-Christian nations?
I suppose that depends on what one means by "suppression". I'd say that they should be fully allowed to speak out against other religions so long as they are not actively preventing those other religions from speaking out themselves. Freedom of speech must be held equally for all.

There's also a difference between challenging a faith and persecuting the holders of said faith. Violence against someone solely for their beliefs should not be tolerated regardless of their religion.

Last edited:

Thana

Lady

Please provide your sources for this,
To me it does not sound remotely accurate,
Rather it just sounds like your opinion or impression.

There's one branch of Christianity that I can think of off the top of my
head that aims towards America being run by Christians. It's called
Dominion Theology.

-

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
American conservative Christians believe the US is a Christian nation based on Christianity. Because of this, some of them believe everyone either needs to be a Christian, or leave.
Um... hi...

I'm American, Conservative, and Christian, and I believe, for the most part, none of those things.

We Evangelise because we believe that everyone is in danger of damnation. We also believe that living with God is a pretty good gig.

Um... hi...

I'm American, Conservative, and Christian, and I believe, for the most part, none of those things.

We Evangelise because we believe that everyone is in danger of damnation. We also believe that living with God is a pretty good gig.

So if there is a immigrant, who is liberal and different faith who wants to remove excessive christian elements from usa society which has gotten a pass because of tradition you would not have a problem with it?

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
So if there is a immigrant, who is liberal and different faith who wants to remove excessive christian elements from usa society which has gotten a pass because of tradition you would not have a problem with it?http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=3618513
I'd have a philosophical disagreement with him/her over what excessive means and why tradition is important and shouldn't be discarded without due cause.

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
Christianity is far from world domination.. Fear dominates Christianity, and the world.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Um... hi...

I think you're kinda making his argument. Although you may be moderate in your belief, many "Christians" I have run across have let their faith degenerate into religio-centrific (if there is such a word) chest-beating. Many have eschewed spiritual enlightenment for self important ignorance and arrogance. Even amongst the denominations you can see this trend. I would not be surprise to see on an electronic marque in front of a fundamentalist church proclaiming "My Jesus can kick your Jesus' a**".