• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American Christian missionary killed by tribespeople

ecco

Veteran Member
Actually I never mentioned religion and am not a fundamentalist
Actually, your religious preference is shown in your profile.

Every Bahai I have had discussions with believes everything written by Bahá'u'lláh. If that includes you, then you are a fundamentalist. If not, I'd be interested to know which parts of Bahá'u'lláh's writings you disagree with.

Shad

Veteran Member
Your thoughts...

He was willingly ignorant by ignoring the laws and naive to think he could change the rationale for these laws, the people's views. In my view it seems like his religious zeal blinded him and cost him his life.

danieldemol

Premium Member
Actually, your religious preference is shown in your profile.

Every Bahai I have had discussions with believes everything written by Bahá'u'lláh. If that includes you, then you are a fundamentalist. If not, I'd be interested to know which parts of Bahá'u'lláh's writings you disagree with.
I disagree with bits and pieces here and there, it is not the subject of this thread, but that I have my disagreements makes me not a fundamentalist.

ecco

Veteran Member
We would also be in the position to market world quality images of these rare peoples. Think Time Magazine and CNN. $$$

This would be a great job for me if i could get the government funding.

Your comments are very hypocritical. The Waldensian cult was founded on preaching apostolic poverty as the way to perfection.

Nevertheless, perhaps I could get funding to secretly plant cameras and microphones in your residence and then in the residences of your fellow Waldensians. I'll bet the Daily Mail would pay good bucks to get a voyeuristic inside look at lives of members of an obscure Christian cult.

ecco

Veteran Member
He was willingly ignorant by ignoring the laws and naive to think he could change the rationale for these laws, the people's views. In my view it seems like his religious zeal blinded him and cost him his life.
That seems to be the general consensus.

ecco

Veteran Member
I disagree with bits and pieces here and there, it is not the subject of this thread, but that I have my disagreements makes me not a fundamentalist.
Ahh, so you are not a fundie, you are a picker and chooser. I'll try to keep that in mind for future discussions.

Dave Watchman

The point being, speaking in a language you don't even understand.

It sounded like they could understand something.

John Chau wrote describing a man wearing a white crown possibly made of flowers taking a “leadership stance” by standing atop the tallest coral rock on the beach.

The man yelled, and John responded, singing some worship songs and yelling back something in Xhosa, a language he apparently knew a few words of from when he coached soccer in South Africa a few years ago.

“They would often fall silent after this,” he wrote. Other efforts to communicate with tribe members ended with their bursting out in laughter.​

- any day now - any day now. You can deny it but you really do want to be around to see the fulfillment of your silly fantasy.

It does sound like the greatest event in the history of mankind.

The return of the Creator to His Creation.

I'd hate to sleep through that one, or be on the wrong end of it's equation.

"When the One that left us here,
Returns for us at last.

Where have you read of them? The Daily Mail? Landon Caeli's comments? Please do tell of your research.

I didn't make a list, but google is your friend.

The Sentinelese had two freighters run aground off their shores that they were able to ransack at their leisure. One of them remains to this day and is still viewable on google maps.

Google, is your friend.

616600007_750x422.jpg

island-1024x576.jpg

Google Maps

The Shipwreck

One late August night in 1981, a cargo ship Primrose ran aground on a coastal reef near North Sentinel. As the ship wasn’t in an immediate danger of sinking, the Captain called in for assistance and left it at that.

It is unknown whether the following morning Captain suspected which island was in sight just a few hundred yards away, or whether the extremely choppy waters made any attempt to reach the sandy beaches through shallow jagged coral reef too dangerous. Whatever the case may be, he gave the order for the crew to remain on board.

Rescuing a freighter crew is normally not something that happens quickly, so the crew settled in. A few days came and went by without any incident. Then, one day, a crew member was overjoyed when a group of men emerged from the island’s thick forest – the rescue party was finally here.

As the group made their way towards the freighter, joy quickly turned to horror because it became evident this was anything but a rescue in progress. It was a group of buck-naked indigenous men, armed with wooden spears, bows and arrows, and they looked like they meant business.

In addition, there were lots of them – 50 by the accounts of the small, unarmed crew. Panic set in, and the captain radioed for help again – this time clearly in distress.

Lucky for the crew, the choppy waters that ran the ship aground made it near impossible for the islanders to make it on board the ship. Having never developed oars, the islanders propelled their rudimentary boats by pushing against the sea floor with long sticks. That made it difficult for them to remain steady in the depths which, for the time being, sheltered the Primrose crew.

The standoff went on for days until the weather permitted a helicopter to airlift the crew. The ship, with its cargo remained on the island to this day, and is still visible on Google Maps:

Marooned Freighter That Put the last Stone Age Society Into an Iron Age - AEN Logistics

24indiamurder1-jumbo.jpg

Love is but a song to sing
Fear's the way we die
You can make the mountains ring
Or make the angels cry
Though the bird is on the wing
And you may not know why

Come on people now
Smile on your brother
Everybody get together
Try to love one another
Right now

Some may come and some may go
We shall surely pass
When the one that left us here
Returns for us at last
We are but a moment's sunlight
Fading in the grass

Come on people now
Smile on your brother
Everybody get together
Try to love one another
Right now

Come on people now
Smile on your brother
Everybody get together
Try to love one another
Right now

Come on people now
Smile on your brother
Everybody get together
Try to love one another
Right now

If you hear the song I sing
You will understand (listen!)
You hold the key to love and fear
All in your trembling hand
Just one key unlocks them both
It's there at your command

Come on people now
Smile on your brother
Everybody get together
Try to love one another
Right now

Come on people now
Smile on your brother
Everybody get together
Try to love one another
Right now

I said, come on people now
Smile on your brother
Everybody get together
Try to love one another
Right now
Right now
Right now

Songwriters: Chester Powers / Chester William Jr. Powers
Get Together lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC

ecco

Veteran Member
It does sound like the greatest event in the history of mankind.

The return of the Creator to His Creation.

I'd hate to sleep through that one, or be on the wrong end of it's equation.

As I said, folks like you have been hoping and praying and predicting that to happen any day now, just right around the corner, for 2000 years.

Don't you ever get tired of being wrong? Don't you ever stop to think, gee, maybe it's all just made up stories?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Even I have to give a hats off to India.

Aside from flyovers for welfare checks and such, I'm glad they were left alone to continue on as they always had. I can only hope for the immediate future they are not dead due to any sickness or disease that Chau may have introduced givin they already touched his body and buried it.

From the looks of it, they are doing pretty well in terms of health and well-being for now at least. I think there's a lesson for us in the first world that oughta be respected.

More so, especially for Christians to just stop doing the crap that they're doing. Leave them, or anyone else for that matter alone. Christians are just not the saviors of the world. :O]
I'm very glad you mentioned their health. Being isolated for so long (likely forty thousand years) there will be little immunity to what we all carry around everywhere we go. It would be helpful to remember that the Spanish conquistadors were hugely aided in the conquest of the Central Americas for the simple reason that the natives had no immunity at all to smallpox, chicken pox, diphtheria, typhus, influenza, measles, malaria and yellow fever.

But too often, the Christian mindset is that even though the missionary might be bringing almost certain death, he's right to do so for the sake of the "souls" he's about to save. I am not, as you might guess, a big fan of such thinking.

Riders

A narrcissist dressed up in religious drag is all he was. He was walking death to them. Know history for petes sake.

He made a choice to get killed. He knew he was violating there boundaries and going into an area that had been marked off he was not suppose to be there.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
IMO: This missionary was completely wrong in going to this island to spread his religion. I have no sympathy for him, his family or his religious organization. I felt the same about Otto Warmbier.

Your thoughts...
While I agree that he was wrong to try to visit North Sentinel, and I always agree that it is wrong to try an take away those beliefs that give any people comfort and attempt to replace those beliefs with your own, I do still have sympathy for him. He was killed after all, and this will hurt his family enormously. We must feel for that, or we dehumanize ourselves.

The biggest breakthrough that I can ever imagine, when it comes to religion, is not that it go away, but it finally learn what it is, unfounded belief, and therefore something that, even though you feel strongly about it, you have no right to try and get others to believe.

Riders

It diminishs real martyrs such as ditriech bonhoeffer and the white rose movement in nazi germany. Now those folks ARE big time martyrs. This kid no, just self absorbed and deeply misguided.

I am not sure who you are talking about here but yes there are many Martyrs including Mother Teresa who laid their lives down for others whom I would rather hear about then this dude.

I am sure Christians think I am against them so this is the attitude towards this missionary.

But I can name many Christians who were better then this dude.The girl from Colorado Massacre who stood up to the bullies who tried to get her to renounce her faith instead she claimed her belief in her God and got shot and killed for it. Shes better then this dude.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
I am not sure who you are talking about here but yes there are many Martyrs including Mother Teresa who laid their lives down for others whom I would rather hear about then this dude.

I am sure Christians think I am against them so this is the attitude towards this missionary.

But I can name many Christians who were better then this dude.The girl from Colorado Massacre who stood up to the bullies who tried to get her to renounce her faith instead she claimed her belief in her God and got shot and killed for it. Shes better then this dude.
I don't wish to rain on your parade, but the "shot because she wouldn't renounce her faith" thing is an engineered opportunistic myth. There are real martyrs out there, including secular ones like the victims of school shootings, but the desperate need to tack a fraudulent religious moral narrative onto someone's literal life and death disgusts me.

I'm not s7ggesting you were intentionally doing this, but I thought you would like to know your information was wrong.

Riders

I don't wish to rain on your parade, but the "shot because she wouldn't renounce her faith" thing is an engineered opportunistic myth. There are real martyrs out there, including secular ones like the victims of school shootings, but the desperate need to tack a fraudulent religious moral narrative onto someone's literal life and death disgusts me.

I'm not s7ggesting you were intentionally doing this, but I thought you would like to know your information was wrong.

Ok well how about Mother Teresa she was a martyr?

Truly Enlightened

Mother Teresa was definitely not a Saint or Martyr. She was the Angel of Death, who actually enjoyed the suffering and the death of others. She also enjoyed the limelight, and in promoting her own selfish self interests. If were sick in Calcutta, I think I would prefer medical attention, not simply left to die in misery. Especially since so many could have been easily saved.