• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American Christian missionary killed by tribespeople

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I don't expect anything from backward and recalcitrant murderers. They're undeserving, and one day it won't be a missionary but a bunch of pirates that teaches them about the world. It will be their own fault, too.
Does it not matter the young fool ignored the warnings and broke the law to visit them? He wasn't minding his own business, he wasn't innocently going about his business, and what he did was probably one of the most dangerous things anyone could do. He didn't go to a friendly tribe, but rather one that is known for showing lethal aggression and hostility towards outsiders. A tribe that shows to the world it very much wants to be left alone. Is it a snake's fault for biting and killing someone who was poking at it, or the fault of the one doing the poking?
If you're going to do the crime, you should be ready to do the time. He said he didn't want to die, so he should not have gone where there was a high chance of that happening.

ecco

Veteran Member
I don't expect anything from backward and recalcitrant murderers. They're undeserving, and one day it won't be a missionary but a bunch of pirates that teaches them about the world. It will be their own fault, too.

I don't expect anything from backward and recalcitrant missionaries. They're undeserving. Last week a group of islanders taught one of them a lesson about the world. It was his fault and the fault of the cult that sent him there.

Dave Watchman

Clearly you didn't bother to read the article I posted. Andamanese describes all groups on the Andamana, and Sentinelese is one of those. So it's like Californians to Americans. Sentinelese is a subgroup of the Andamanese. Only one other original group remains. The rest have been killed off or assimilated.

Clearly,

But from the link you posted on the Andamanese

I can clearly see images of the natives posing nicely:

Great_Andamanese_-_two_men_-_1875.jpg

A_young_Onge_mother_with_her_baby.jpg

It's a different story on the Wiki page for the Sentinelese.

In fact there's no pictures of them at all. Just a stock photo from 1870 of the Andaman tribals fishing:

Andaman_tribals_fishing_%28c._1870%29.jpg

Nope, this would appear to be a great place not to get your islands mixed up mate.

Or else you'll bump into these guys by mistake.

3EDEBF0600000578-4373014-Rare_footage_has_emerged_of_the_indigenous_Sentinelese_tribe_loc-m-97_1491142037923.jpg

3EDEBEDE00000578-4373014-_It_doesn_t_matter_whether_you_are_a_friend_or_enemy_whether_you-a-109_1491142403008.jpg

'It doesn't matter whether you are a friend or enemy, whether you arrived on purpose or by accident, the locals will greet you the same way with spears and arrows,' the narrator states

ecco

Veteran Member
He said he didn't want to die, so he should not have gone where there was a high chance of that happening.
But he did and now he's sitting at the right hand of Jesus with a big smile on his face.

Yes, the above is sarcasm.

Rational Agnostic

I don't expect anything from backward and recalcitrant missionaries. They're undeserving. Last week a group of islanders taught one of them a lesson about the world. It was his fault and the fault of the cult that sent him there.

I see you are continually defending a group of paranoid savages who attack anyone who enters their country. You have also used defense against possible diseases as your argument. So, tell me then, should the US government shoot down any Mexicans who enter the country, for fear that they might bring their germs and new diseases in and infect Americans? It appears to me that you believe that when non-white people act paranoid and xenophobic, it's OK, but when white people do, it's not.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
But he did and now he's sitting at the right hand of Jesus with a big smile on his face.

Yes, the above is sarcasm.
I included the "do the crime" part to remind people that this guy got killed by engaging in criminal behavior. Had he followed the law, he'd still be living as he would not have been in that situation.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I see you are continually defending a group of paranoid savages who attack anyone who enters their country. You have also used defense against possible diseases as your argument. So, tell me then, should the US government shoot down any Mexicans who enter the country, for fear that they might bring their germs and new diseases in and infect Americans? It appears to me that you believe that when non-white people act paranoid and xenophobic, it's OK, but when white people do, it's not.
America and Mexico have not demanded to be left alone. And does it really matter their reasons? They only pose a danger to those who would ignore the warnings against trying to visit them. Other than that, leave them alone and they'll leave you alone.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

Undeserving of what? Swapping superstitions and contracting diseases? How could anyone realistically expect any reaction other than what happened? Their actions were completely reasonable from their situation and perspective.

Dislodge the cross from your *** and think rationally.

Dave Watchman

Given the tribe's history, he was probably killed before he had a chance. They are, after all, known for shooting arrows at aircraft flying overhead and so aggressive towards outsiders the Indian government officially banned visiting them.

I though that too.

But the attempt WAS made. And even with an arrow shot into it, he did deliver his water proof Bible to those people.

And those people DID hear him speak the name of Jesus for a few hours.

I believe it to be a technical success. And will fit this fulfillment of scripture as well:

"And if anyone will not receive you or listen to your words, shake off the dust from your feet when you leave that house or town. Truly, I say to you, it will be more bearable on the day of judgment for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah than for that town. - Matthew 10:14-15
But i agree, John Chau never had a chance, to depart from that place alive.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Somebody correct me if I am wrong (yeah, right) but couldn't Chau's actions be equivalent to an Evangelical "...here, hold my beer..."? Just askin'.
Far worse, actually, because in their world view this guy gets eternal glory and rewards and praise for dying in Jesus' name. His criminal behaviors will be diminished, the fact entirely neglected probably, and he will be held as an example for all Christians. Some churches this Sunday will probably even be singing hymns such as Onward Christian Soldier and Amazing Grace and giving sermons about "donning the armor of god" to go do god's work in the world, some Bible quotes about how the world will be hostile towards Christians, and some more verses about the eternal glory to those who not only live for Christ but die in his name.

Rational Agnostic

America and Mexico have not demanded to be left alone. And does it really matter their reasons? They only pose a danger to those who would ignore the warnings against trying to visit them. Other than that, leave them alone and they'll leave you alone.

What if America does demand to be left alone? Would that be wrong? And if so, why would it be wrong for America to demand an end to immigration, but not wrong for this tribe?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I believe it to be a technical success. And will fit this fulfillment of scripture as well:

"And if anyone will not receive you or listen to your words, shake off the dust from your feet when you leave that house or town. Truly, I say to you, it will be more bearable on the day of judgment for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah than for that town. - Matthew 10:14-15
This guy ain't shaking the dust of his feet.
And those people DID hear him speak the name of Jesus for a few hours.
I've listened to some Spanish conversations for a few hours. I understand only a few words of it, and only because of cognates and the Spanish/Latin words already in use by English.
Hearing is not listening and understanding. Such as, I hear people talk, constantly, every day, but I'm not paying attention so I am definitely not listening, and I'd fail an understanding/comprehension test if one was administered.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Far worse, actually, because in their world view this guy gets eternal glory and rewards and praise for dying in Jesus' name. His criminal behaviors will be diminished, the fact entirely neglected probably, and he will be held as an example for all Christians. Some churches this Sunday will probably even be singing hymns such as Onward Christian Soldier and Amazing Grace and giving sermons about "donning the armor of god" to go do god's work in the world, some Bible quotes about how the world will be hostile towards Christians, and some more verses about the eternal glory to those who not only live for Christ but die in his name.

Reminds me of a line from that old spiritual, "...Valhalla, I am coming...".

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
What if America does demand to be left alone? Would that be wrong? And if so, why would it be wrong for America to demand an end to immigration, but not wrong for this tribe?
America's history is based upon immigration, and it would be catastrophically detrimental to the political, economic, and social facets of our society. They are a very insignificant tribe that probably hardly anyone has heard of before this story. But they are still entitled to self-determination.

Dave Watchman

The Islanders killed the missionary before he delivered the gospel. So, if the gospel was not preached in all the world, the end of times cannot yet come.

YAY! The islanders saved the world from the End of Times! YAY!

Sorry it appears to have been a technical success. Not in the conversion, but in the delivery. In the witnessing of the Gospel, the good news, to the ends of the earth.

“I hollered, ‘My name is John, I love you and Jesus loves you,’ ” he wrote in his journal. One of the juveniles shot at him with an arrow, which pierced his waterproof Bible, he wrote.​

They might not understand the tenets of Five Point Calvinism, but they know that Jesus loves them. They heard the only name by which we are saved..

"Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved." - Acts 4:12
May the Atheists brace for incoming empirical,
As we speed toward the "darkened' sun.

The Lord is at hand.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
America's history is based upon immigration, and it would be catastrophically detrimental to the political, economic, and social facets of our society. They are a very insignificant tribe that probably hardly anyone has heard of before this story. But they are still entitled to self-determination.

And they have a right to protect their borders as they see fit.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

I've listened to some Spanish conversations for a few hours. I understand only a few words of it, and only because of cognates and the Spanish/Latin words already in use by English.
Hearing is not listening and understanding. Such as, I hear people talk, constantly, every day, but I'm not paying attention so I am definitely not listening, and I'd fail an understanding/comprehension test if one was administered.
Nobody outside of the Sentinelese has a clue about their language. To think making a sound there at all would have any meaning to them whatsover is naivete at its finest.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Sorry it appears to have been a technical success. Not in the conversion, but in the delivery. In the witnessing of the Gospel, the good news, to the ends of the earth.

“I hollered, ‘My name is John, I love you and Jesus loves you,’ ” he wrote in his journal. One of the juveniles shot at him with an arrow, which pierced his waterproof Bible, he wrote.​

They might not understand the tenets of Five Point Calvinism, but they know that Jesus loves them. They heard the only name by which we are saved..

"Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved." - Acts 4:12
May the Atheists brace for incoming empirical,
As we speed toward the "darkened' sun.

The Lord is at hand.

Unfortunately, the word "John" roughly translates in their language to "...I have come for your women..". They should have sent Frank.

Dave Watchman

He will be. He will be one of them that shine as bright as the firmament.

If the Lord wanted them to understand, their ears would have been opened. Who knows, maybe some of them did understand.

But think about this. IF John Chau didn't go there, the Scripture could NOT be fulfilled. It wouldn't even be an issue. There would still be areas where the Bible HAD NOT been delivered to.

This story, and numerous other issues, have me convinced that we are dangerously close to the end of our rope.

Like in the days before the flood.