• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American Christian missionary killed by tribespeople

ecco

Veteran Member
American missionary believed to have been killed by North Sentinel Island tribespeople - CNN

New Delhi (CNN)An American Christian believed to have been engaged in missionary work appears to have been killed by tribespeople from one of the world's most isolated communities, on a remote island hundreds of miles off the coast of India, according to officials.

The 27-year-old American, identified as John Allen Chau, came to India on a tourist visa but came to the Andaman and Nicobar islands in October with the express purpose of proselytizing, Dependra Pathak, director general of police of the Andaman and Nicobar islands, told CNN.
"We refuse to call him a tourist. Yes, he came on a tourist visa but he came with a specific purpose to preach on a prohibited island," Pathak said.

The island, North Sentinel Island, is inhabited by the Sentinelese, who are protected under Indian law. Just more than a dozen people are officially thought to live on the remote island in the Andaman and Nicobar archipelago.​

IMO: This missionary was completely wrong in going to this island to spread his religion. I have no sympathy for him, his family or his religious organization. I felt the same about Otto Warmbier.

Your thoughts...

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Whoever did it should be punished, obviously.
IMO: This missionary was completely wrong in going to this island to spread his religion. I have no sympathy for him, his family or his religious organization. I felt the same about Otto Warmbier.
What a heartless thing to say. No sympathy for this kid who was killed simply for visiting and trying to talk with the backward animals? He just wanted to help and they killed him for not being cool enough.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
****ing backward animals who don't deserve to be visited by a nice young man. They killed him. Hello? That's backward and animal behavior.
Look into the history of peoples on those islands.
(Things haven't gone well for the islanders.)
And this wasn't his first visit.
He didn't heed warnings.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
He didn't heed warnings.
Kudos to India for protecting these people. A couple hundred years ago the conquerors would have just gone in guns a-blazing and that would be that. I would not be at all surprised that some so called uninhabited islands actually weren't but had people who got wiped out, and nobody even bothered to report it. "They're not people, after all."

History, if we can trust wiki ... Andamanese - Wikipedia

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
American missionary believed to have been killed by North Sentinel Island tribespeople - CNN

New Delhi (CNN)An American Christian believed to have been engaged in missionary work appears to have been killed by tribespeople from one of the world's most isolated communities, on a remote island hundreds of miles off the coast of India, according to officials.

The 27-year-old American, identified as John Allen Chau, came to India on a tourist visa but came to the Andaman and Nicobar islands in October with the express purpose of proselytizing, Dependra Pathak, director general of police of the Andaman and Nicobar islands, told CNN.
"We refuse to call him a tourist. Yes, he came on a tourist visa but he came with a specific purpose to preach on a prohibited island," Pathak said.

The island, North Sentinel Island, is inhabited by the Sentinelese, who are protected under Indian law. Just more than a dozen people are officially thought to live on the remote island in the Andaman and Nicobar archipelago.​

Your thoughts...
There's already an ongoing thread about this.

To put it in short while I don't think he should have been killed over something like this by our standards, it's not the standards of the indigenous people living there who I think we're perfectly justified in responding to a person who violated their lands even after being driven off.

Another interesting thing is the number of laws John Chau had willfully ignored and broken in spite of repeated concerns made in regards to his safety.

While feel bad for the outcome here, I can't say it was totally undeserved givin the concerns and fair warnings that were addressed to him prior to all of it I would suppose including that he could conceivably kill them all from a health and biological standpoint as they have no immunity to pathogens that we carry with our bodies.

Sometimes I wonder now if he had already killed them with his arrogance and stupidity givin they had touched his body and buried it.

He also created a whole new set of problems now including law enforcement and health and personnel as to how they're going to retrieve the body. Personally I think they should just leave it there as a sky burial, but I can see why they want to retrieve it, not just for his family, but for the health of the indigenous peoples there.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
He didn't heed warnings.
I do not in any way mean to represent that he was in the right.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Kudos to India for protecting these people. A couple hundred years ago the conquerors would have just gone in guns a-blazing and that would be that. I would not be at all surprised that some so called uninhabited islands actually weren't but had people who got wiped out, and nobody even bothered to report it. "They're not people, after all."

History, if we can trust wiki ... Andamanese - Wikipedia
Even I have to give a hats off to India.

Aside from flyovers for welfare checks and such, I'm glad they were left alone to continue on as they always had. I can only hope for the immediate future they are not dead due to any sickness or disease that Chau may have introduced givin they already touched his body and buried it.

From the looks of it, they are doing pretty well in terms of health and well-being for now at least. I think there's a lesson for us in the first world that oughta be respected.

More so, especially for Christians to just stop doing the crap that they're doing. Leave them, or anyone else for that matter alone. Christians are just not the saviors of the world. :O]

exchemist

Veteran Member

Your thoughts...
What a jerk. Candidate for the Darwin Awards.

ecco

Veteran Member

What a heartless thing to say. No sympathy for this kid who was killed simply for visiting and trying to talk with the backward animals? He just wanted to help and they killed him for not being cool enough.

Uh, no. They probably killed him because he was telling them his god was better than theirs.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Uh, no. They probably killed him because he was telling them his god was better than theirs.
In fact they killed him because that is what they do, on sight, to all outsiders. They are famous for it. That is why they are called the Sentinel-ese.

David T

Premium Member

Generally i would agree not in This case at all. Infact if he was encouraged to do this by others they should be arrested for his death as negligent manslaughter. Although his own hubris is what killed him really.

David T

Premium Member
What a jerk. Candidate for the Darwin Awards.
It was stupid and whacko all at the sametime. They have reasons in india for that island to be left alone but nooooooo he had to try and conquer it. Never mind he could have just walked around the streets of india and met more non christians in 3 seconds to evangelize than what the entire popularion of the island is. Hubris.

David T

Premium Member

Your thoughts...
Totally agree. Now he is being called a martre by some and thats just cult pitiful. I have historical actual martres i respect. Not this kid he was just a stupid religious narrcisist misguided and poorly informed. I guess thats what much of this religious nonsense is today just culture is all.