• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American / British English

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
All these asterixes makes for a good game!

Yes, the drunk / angry one is strange! As a Brit when I hear an American use it I can't help but think 'they don't seem drunk...'

Onkara

France and Spain have institute to define and protect their language. Inglish is a free for all it seems.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
American English is just more conservative than the faddish British version, with all their newfangled expressions and simplified grammar.

We still retain grammatical number ("the team was defeated" vs "were defeated") and the distinction between got and gotten. We still retain the rhotic 'R'. We've even been heard to use subjunctives.

As far as I have ever known, a Team is a collective word so singular, so i is followed by was. It it is followed by were, it would be Teams were.

The British know when to pronounce "R" and when not to. The Americans are more simplistic.

RitalinO.D.

Because in English it is P1$$ed off

Nowadays I actually hear more people using that phrase without the "off", so I can understand how it might be confusing to some.

Something I've always wondered however, the scene in Austin Powers, where Austin and his father are sitting on the bed talking to eachother in "british English", and it shows the subs below so you actually know what they are saying...can you guys really have an entire conversation like that? If so, that's crazy, cause without the subs, There is no way I would have known wtf they were talking about.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
As has been pointed out , languages evolve. Or at least they should, the French attempt at maintaining purity is futile and would only atrophy an organic phenomenon. One reason English is so global ( aside from British Empire and American dominance currently) is that it is so open to change, malleable and adaptive.

Regarding Austin Powers, British people from around the country can find it difficult to follow speech due to dialects.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
To be "******" means to be angry in the U.S., while in the U.K. it means to be drunk.

Ha ha..... :) 'p-ssed' means drunk and 'p-ssed off' means fed up or angry in U.K..

OK...... what do you call the manoeuvre where you turn a car right round to face the other way (in a street)? We call it a 'three point turn'. You call it something funny!

And who ever heard of a gear-shift? It's a stick! :D

It's all funny over your side. In Mexico you get Mexicans, Canada - Canadians, United States you get get United Statia.... Unitian.... Statia... Err Americans! :biglaugh: