• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American Atheists at it again?

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
Their putting up another one.

finalgodisimag.jpg

Guess I better become an atheist. After all, the sign said its better. :rolleyes:

God Is Imaginary – March 18, 2012 | Backyard Skeptics

illykitty

RF's pet cat
I personally find it offensive, as if it is fact that god or any other kind of higher being doesn't exist. No one knows for sure.

If they really want to say "you are not alone" to closet atheists, why don't they just post that message instead of trying to provoke people? Seems rather stupid to me.

I don't think (non)religious signs should be allowed anyway, it's useless. It's a matter of personal choice and advertising it just causes problems.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I don't think (non)religious signs should be allowed anyway, it's useless. It's a matter of personal choice and advertising it just causes problems.

Freedom of speech causes problems, but it seems to me worth those problems.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
I personally find it offensive, as if it is fact that god or any other kind of higher being doesn't exist. No one knows for sure.

If they really want to say "you are not alone" to closet atheists, why don't they just post that message instead of trying to provoke people? Seems rather stupid to me.

Because just as you have people who actively believe that there is a god, you have people who actively believe that there is no god.

Those who believe there is a god put up billboards that reflect that belief.
Those who actively believe there is no god are starting to put up more billboards that reflect that belief.

I can't wait for the agnostic billboards.....:rolleyes:

Rakhel

I'm trying to recall the last time I saw a Jewish or Islamic billboard go up that was aimed at Atheists...

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Freedom of speech causes problems, but it seems to me worth those problems.

Well, amen to that.

I personally don't care for ANY billboards touting people's faiths - I think they are usually meant to be provocative and often inflammatory.

But hey it's their money and it's the advertising company's choice as to whether or not to accept that money in exchange for services.

Let freedom ring - even the parts that **** me off.

E. Nato Difficile

The battles that AA prez Silverman chooses to fight have always seemed designed to make atheists look as petty and humorless as possible. He's the one that launched the campaign against the "WTC Cross," treading with elephantine steps on both a sensitive issue and any hope we atheists had of being taken seriously in America.

The extent of America's religiosity, and the urgency of secularizing our public discourse, are complex issues that can't be reduced to bumper sticker messages or billboard stunts. Religion has evolved defenses to ensure its survival even in enlightened, supposedly secular communities; one of these is the widespread belief that religion is always a good and positive force in society, and that people should get uptight and paranoid any time this belief is questioned.

-Nato

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I would be most interested in seeing a billboard that is not promoting an agenda...

Exactly my point. I think religious and anti-religious billboards are in poor taste. Hey, come to think of it, I don't like ANY billboards, but that's another topic...