• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

America the Terrorist

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Uh, I haven't made any movies or video games.

Who PAYS FOR your movies and video games? Your post was in response to a post denouncing Americans who consume, consume, consume. And yet there's hardly anything more wasteful than money spent on movies and video games (not that there's anything wrong with wasting your own money if you want).

Why, what's spent on your movies and video games in a year could probably buy a goat or even a cow for a family in need somewhere in this world - and would provide milk for their family for years to come.

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
No, but he was a left-wing activist. That, in itself, is red flag enough for any good American patriot. :rolleyes:

Conservatives have a long history of undermining the rights, liberty and equality of others, and since these very ideals are what essentially define America, I wouldn't consider them to be very patriotic.

Last edited:

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Indeed. It's why I've pretty much lost what little faith I ever had in America, both right and left sides. By no means do I consider America the worst, or even among the worst, countries in the world; but it's most certainly nowhere near the best. It DEFINITELY has no right to be the world power as it is right now.

I do love that both the right and left sides of the spectrum pronounce that THEY truly believe in American freedom, and that the other side is almost as bad as the Nazis. lol Heck, come to think of it, the relationship between the two can make for great comedy!:D

In a way, it's probably a good thing we have two factions of unbalanced people balancing each other out. :D

But that's the real American speaking in me: detachment from the real world in favor of what I find "entertaining" and arbitrarily agreeing with whatever angry host I happen to be listening to at the moment (though, for me, that's usually in regards to whether or not a movie or video game is good).

It's sort of like watching Divorce Court: when she's up there giving her side, you can't help but look at the man involved and think, "Man! What a jerk!!! I hope she wins!", but then he comes up and gives his side and you find yourself looking at the woman and thinking, "Man! What a *****!!! I hope he wins!".

In the end though I think it comes down to the fact that each of us lives in our own country, and the reality is that we're all tyrants and we're all rebels (another case of two unbalanced factions balancing each other out).

Yeshe Dawa

Lotus Born
Why, what's spent on your movies and video games in a year could probably buy a goat or even a cow for a family in need somewhere in this world - and would provide milk for their family for years to come.

Goats start at $37, cows go for $300. :cow:
https://www.childfund.org/giftcatal...px?SearchByCategory=Farm Animals&CategoryId=0

:flower:As far as the war stuff goes - we are killing many civilians in the war on terror, a war that is supposed to be preventing terrorist attacks on American citizens. By doing this, aren't we really saying that American lives are worth more than the lives of those in the countries we are attacking? If we are killing more civilians than the terrorists, what does that make us?:flower:

Peace and blessings,
Yeshe
:flower2:

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
:flower:As far as the war stuff goes - we are killing many civilians in the war on terror, a war that is supposed to be preventing terrorist attacks on American citizens. By doing this, aren't we really saying that American lives are worth more than the lives of those in the countries we are attacking? If we are killing more civilians than the terrorists, what does that make us?:flower:

Peace and blessings,
Yeshe
:flower2:

Right. It's all well and good that America may be better than China or Russia as the premier world power, but we could certainly set a better example. After all, America won't last forever and we should work towards setting a positive legacy. There are certainly better things our money and resources can go towards.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Who PAYS FOR your movies and video games? Your post was in response to a post denouncing Americans who consume, consume, consume. And yet there's hardly anything more wasteful than money spent on movies and video games (not that there's anything wrong with wasting your own money if you want).

Were it that easy... I'm as much a part of the evil as others. I still recognize the problem, but I haven't yet developed the strength to break away from it.

All I have the strength for right now is to give to the local homeless and local charities whenever I can.

Besides, drugs and cigarettes are FAR more wasteful, as they do nothing but harm. At least movies and video games, if done right, can provide experience and serve as teaching aids.

Besides, I haven't spent much on movies or video games in recent years, because I don't have that kind of money.

Last edited:

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I am certainly not ashamed to be American - in fact, I am grateful to be American. But it's only a small part of my own identity. I am a woman, a wife, a mother, a daughter, a grandmother, an aunt, a friend, a Christian, a co worker, a manager, a member of my small community, an artist, a Texan, a native of Louisiana, and a host of other titles and designations - all of which supercede my title of "American." I put the needs of my family and my own small community first.

Yeshe Dawa

Lotus Born
There are many worse places in the world to live. No, I don't like the way we treat people in other countries, but I do what is in my power - I cast my vote, write my representatives, etc. I'm not a Gandhi or an MLK Jr, so that is all I really can contribute, which is really frustrating when you vote for the anti-war guy and he ends up escalating things even worse than they were...:(