• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

America: Christianity Inc. and the Fallacy of Freedom

Ormiston

Let me preface my statements by saying that I do not hate anyone. I do not hate the rich, I do not hate Christians, business, or money. I actually mean this thread to be constructive in nature.

In America, freedom is everything. We view our rights as the most precious aspect of this country. Whenever mention is made of restricting our rights, people go nuts. But restrictions are not an uncommon event. How many amendments are there to the US Constitution? How many laws? Restrictions are put into place for the benefit of all (not just the majority).

The perfect example of this, in my mind, are the laws that govern fair business practices. Monopolies are now a thing of the past (well...almost). These laws are without a doubt limitations on the "freedom" of rich companies and prevent them from using their power to eliminate competition.

In my mind, freedom without limitations means anarchy. When it comes to money and power, morals NEVER influence decisions.

Laws also prevent big businesses from using their power to influence government officials (in theory) and keeps them from making laws that only benefit themselves. Now my point is this: why are there no laws that prevent any one religion, namely Christianity in America, from using it's financial power and influence to better itself legally? Is it fair to non-Christians to let any single religious entity grow to such a size that it can then impact the very laws that govern itself?

I propose that a set of laws specifically for religious groups (not individuals) should be drawn up that make for a fair environment of religious practice or the lack-there-of. These laws will not isolate any particular group but will be the same for all groups. The purpose of these laws will be to protect all religions from a "monopoly" effect whereby any one religion could theoretically eliminate other religions. Only in this manner do I see Freedom of Religion a possibility.

I have some ideas about these laws, but I wanted to get some feedback before I went any further. Thanks!

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
Are you implying that one religion is making strides to take over all the others? Wouldn't such a law be unconstitutional? Part of some religious belief is to preach and teach others adn spread their God's message. What is the catalyst for such a question concerning religion. Has religion taken away a personal freedom or yours or someone elses?

Fluffy

A fool
The perfect example of this, in my mind, are the laws that govern fair business practices. Monopolies are now a thing of the past (well...almost). These laws are without a doubt limitations on the "freedom" of rich companies and prevent them from using their power to eliminate competition.
I think there is a vast difference between restricting the freedoms of an individual and restricting those of a group or corporation since a group of humans tend to act very differently to what each of those humans would do on their own.

Is it fair to non-Christians to let any single religious entity grow to such a size that it can then impact the very laws that govern itself?
It is fair as long as it is done democratically. Christians have a right to vote because of their Christian beliefs just as I have a right to vote on my Wiccan beliefs. I strongly disagree with any company, no matter its nature, sponsoring vast amounts of money for a particular party and then basically forcing them to do what you want or withdraw these funds. If any Christian group is guilty of this then I would take the same attitude towards them as if they were a secular corporation.

A democracy is such that people should have the freedom to do what the majority wants even if what the majority wants is to take away that freedom and I fully support such an way of thinking. To do otherwise is to limit personal freedom in yet another way.

Lycan

Preternatural
As Fluffy stated done democratically it would be all fair and well.... in theory. But the problem I see with this is that a majority of the voting populace is the very "monopolizing" religion that the law would protect against. I don't believe the vote would go well considering it would be a vote to restrict themselves. If there were more voters of different faiths to evenly mesh with the above, I don't think the country would be in the position it is now.