• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ambitions and reality

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Hey you older folk out there (all of y’all are older folk to me). Did you achieve your ambitions or goals in life? Like, when you were a teenager or early 20’s, there was a goal you had, right? Something you wanted to achieve. Well, we’re you able to do it? Or did you have to reevaluate your ambitions as life went on? Life has a funny way of kicking you in the shin and slowing you down, ya know? I’m at a point where I’m deciding if I need to reevaluate my ambitions or not. I must be willing to sacrifice my life in pursuit of my ambitions, and in many ways, I already have. But maybe a simple life should be my ambition, I don’t know. Existential crisis much haha

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I didn't really have realisable ambitions. Could i be a doctor, that's what i dreamed of as a young teen but having dyslexia and essential written off as unteachable there was no chance. Another ambition was to be able to read, again, no chance. So i resigned myself to working for my father on the farm for the rest of my life. Actually a job i would have enjoyed.

After i was diagnosed and prescribed remedial eyeglasses things changed. I taught myself to read and write. Was able to catch up at school enough to pass a few exams and go on to college. Where i got my hands on my first computer.

I went to uni, where i met my future husband. After uni we set up a 3D graphics company which at that time was unique. The company was a success, we sold it in 2015 for enough to retire to our dream.

None of that was ambition but it worked out fine

PureX

Veteran Member
I didn't really chase any ambitions. I didn't really have any ambitions. It was more like trial and error, by chance, until I finally stumbled into my rightful place in the universe. And I found my tribe. Sheer luck, really. And I suppose some innate inclination on my part.

That place for me was art school. I was a lost soul until I stumbled into that amazing place and found a bunch of other weirdos like myself. They spoke my language and saw my visions and I never looked back. I am still friends with many of them even after all these years, though we're starting to die off, now. There was no money in it but I wouldn't have traded it for anything! I got to see some amazing things, and meet some amazing people, and do some really interesting and fun stuff. I am an artist. The real thing. And I have been one for many years. It's been an honor. I feel very blessed.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
After finishing college, I had my head set on serving the gods. I did everything I needed to do in order to make that work. Got more experience, got an advanced degree, and did everything right. Life had habitually unfurled a red carpet in my direction through a combination of hard work and smarts. Of course I was going to get a permanent, full-time job serving the gods. It couldn't go any other way, right?

Wrong.

American culture has a lot of problematic myths it tells itself. It tells the myth that people get what they deserve - that if you do the right things and work hard you'll get what you want (not true). It tells the myth that we as individuals are mostly the directors of our own fate - that broader environmental circumstances play a minor role at best (not true). It tells the myth that gifted and talented people in particular defy any odds against them and get what they want (not true, but it had been true in my life up until that point).

But things have a way of working out. I'm still serving the gods, just in a somewhat different way than I had envisioned. And honestly? I'm pretty darned happy with my life as it is right now. Working in higher education is a really good fit for me and I'm probably happier here than I would have been in some county conservation office in the middle of red territory. So the advice I have? Plan, but be flexible. Recognize many paths and many goals. Know who you are. It'll get sorted out.

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
My ambition from an early age was to be a software engineer. Due to mental illness I was unable to do it, but if they ever find a cure for bipolar I will continue that ambition.