• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Amazon email scam to watch out for

Sedim Haba

Outa here... bye-bye!
Who uses Outlook? Really, IDK.

Never EVER click on any link in any email or text. Even if you 'trust' the sender. Use your own links, or google them.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Seems to be a bit of a non-story to me. I've been getting scam phone calls purporting to be from Amazon Prime for about five years now. And email scams about parcels awaiting delivery, TV licence fees due, income tax refunds, Paypal account being "locked", etc etc.

I don't see why anyone would need to "search" their email inboxes. These scam emails can't do anything unless you click on one of the links in the email.

The thing to do if one is in any doubt about the authenticity of an incoming email is look at the sender's full email address and check the grammar and spelling of the email. Scammers will often have weirdly unfamiliar email addresses, often with extensions relating to odd countries, like .ru or something. And they nearly always can't write in idiomatic English.

And do not click on any links, of course.

PureX

Veteran Member
Yes, pretending to be Amazon, pretending to be your bank, pretending to be the IRS or Social Security, pretending that you won something big, pretending to be a survey reward, ... all ways of trying to pull people into a scam.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them

Never EVER click on any link in any email or text. Even if you 'trust' the sender. Use your own links, or google them.
I used outlook as a kid cuz gmail was blocked on school computer

Here's a better question: who besides me uses Protonmail?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I never deal with email links. Ever.

I just go to the proper url of the subject in question directly myself.

exchemist

Veteran Member

I must admit I do click on links when I get notifications from my bank or from the utilities, telling me I have a new bill.

Alien826

No religious beliefs

I do. You can get a free Email account without paying for or using the full app. It's OK.

Like most Email clients I suppose it does a good job of identifying "junk" Emails. Where it doesn't catch one, I can eliminate most of them because they are so ridiculous, and as has already been said, if it applies to something that might possibly be genuine, I go directly to the web site of the organization and see if it appears there.

This morning, my wife got a text telling her that she has won $3,000,000 and a car. We've enjoyed discussing how we will spend the money and can't wait to find out what kind of car she has won! ;)

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Seems to be a bit of a non-story to me. I've been getting scam phone calls purporting to be from Amazon Prime for about five years now. And email scams about parcels awaiting delivery, TV licence fees due, income tax refunds, Paypal account being "locked", etc etc.

I don't see why anyone would need to "search" their email inboxes. These scam emails can't do anything unless you click on one of the links in the email.

The thing to do if one is in any doubt about the authenticity of an incoming email is look at the sender's full email address and check the grammar and spelling of the email. Scammers will often have weirdly unfamiliar email addresses, often with extensions relating to odd countries, like .ru or something. And they nearly always can't write in idiomatic English.

And do not click on any links, of course.
According to the article this one's a little more sophisticated than most.

Sedim Haba

Outa here... bye-bye!
I used outlook as a kid cuz gmail was blocked on school computer

Here's a better question: who besides me uses Protonmail?

I use Protonmail.

TBH, I've never used anything but a browser for email. Not Outlook or Thunderbird or whatever.
Even at work. I forget what we used on Macintosh back when the office had those. Firefox now.

My home email was on AOL dialup (ya, I'm that old) but everything was on the AOL program as I recall.

exchemist

Veteran Member
According to the article this one's a little more sophisticated than most.
My reading of the article is it's just a bog standard fake link. Nothing happens unless the user clicks the link, whereupon they are directed to a fake website etc etc, exactly like all the other scams we're familiar with.

What do you see in it that is more sophisticated than the usual phishing scams?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
My reading of the article is it's just a bog standard fake link. Nothing happens unless the user clicks the link, whereupon they are directed to a fake website etc etc, exactly like all the other scams we're familiar with.

What do you see in it that is more sophisticated than the usual phishing scams?
A big green rhinoceros named Jerry.