• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Amazingly bad (Obi wan Starwars)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
If you have seen it, I would like to hear what you thought about it?
I haven't been able to stomach sitting through another one since that time I watched episode 8 and was barely able to do so. Disney totally crapped on Star Wars, crapped on the decades of well developed stories and canon outside of the movies, and crapped on everything that made Star Wars great.

Nimos

I haven't been able to stomach sitting through another one since that time I watched episode 8 and was barely able to do so. Disney totally crapped on Star Wars, crapped on the decades of well developed stories and canon outside of the movies, and crapped on everything that made Star Wars great.
Agree :)

@SomeRandom

So just watched episode 3, it has some better stuff in it, there is actually some decent dialogs between Obi and Leia, its not as bad as the first two episodes. But it still suffers from extremely poor writing. Characters are teleporting around appearing places out of the blue without any explanation of how it is possible. And won't spoil anything, but some things as with the others makes no sense, like they setup this whole thing and then they have no clue how to resolve it, so it comes off as being outright stupid.

And honestly mushroom head and the girl inquisitor just doesn't work in my opinion, I don't even know what exactly is wrong with their characters they just appear straight up lame or like they just don't fit in the story at all. My best guess is that they are simply not good enough actors to carry the role they are given or maybe the directing is just bad and when mixed together they just fall flat.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Think ill just forget all about it :D
Lol I don’t blame you

There is not wrong as such with doing sequels, its just that one has to be extremely careful, because in many cases you are messing with something which became popular for a reason. For instance seeing the upcoming Lord of the rings series, which might be good or it might not, but they are playing with fire in my opinion, because LOTR is a very established universe and obviously loved by a lot of people, but they are messing around with the lore, inventing things and changing stuff which are simply not part of the universe. And something like that can really **** of fans, but also if they are not well into the lore of why things are as they are, they could ruin stuff as it is done with Star wars. When they do these things and want to change something, if its just smaller things no problem, but if it potentially ruin LOTR and the hobbit so they suddenly doesn't make sense, then it would annoy me. I don't get the impression that it will, so im not to worried. But at least in my opinion, if you want to make sequels or spin offs, you have to do it, within the established lore.

Yeah, I’m a little apprehensive about the new adaption of Lord of the Rings. Maybe because I am more of a LOTR fan than a SW fan. Like I like Star Wars fine, I watch it sometimes still. But I adore Lord of the Rings. That’s my jam and my childhood.
Though to cut Amazon some slack, the Hobbit movies didn’t exactly stick close to the source material and just tried desperately to make bank essentially by remaking the Lord of the Rings trilogy lol
(I mean that in the sense that the Hobbit book is actually pretty simple in comparison to the trilogy of movies they somehow squeezed out of it.)
I’ll not pass judgement until I see it. But I think I’ll be more critical of it than I am of Disney doing Star Wars lol

Return to Oz was a good one agree, but then again its were made way past the current Hollywood standard, so that could explain why :D
Maybe. Though it’s also part of the weird, somewhat fantastical/kind of creepy childhood movie trend that was popular in the 80s and early 90s
The Neverending Story, The Labyrinth, Something Wicked This Way Comes, Dark Crystal, the Goonies, Hook etc

Yeah Harry potter is new and probably also the biggest one I would guess.

And in all honesty, I kind of feel like we are in the era of series rather than movies :D There is a lot of really good ones having been made the last many years. I mean Game of Thrones, except for the last season, would have been an absolute masterpiece for years to come. Stranger things is up there in my opinion. Really like Spartacus, Boardwalk empire were really good. So they at least can make good series. :D

Well this is the era of streaming after all. So I guess that kind of makes sense lol
And yes I agree. Last season aside GoT was amazing.
I love Boardwalk Empire and Spartacus.
I kind of hope they do a series on like the Trojan War or something. I could so see that working as a gritty but affable tv show. And I’m low key reading the Iliad atm so it’s probably on my mind but still.

But just saw that Obi wan episode 3 is out, so wish me luck.. im going in!! :cool:
May the force be with you.

Last edited:

Nimos

Yeah, I’m a little apprehensive about the new adaption of Lord of the Rings. Maybe because I am more of a LOTR fan than a SW fan. Like I like Star Wars fine, I watch it sometimes still. But I adore Lord of the Rings. That’s my jam and my childhood.
Though to cut Amazon some slack, the Hobbit movies didn’t exactly stick close to the source material and just tried desperately to make bank essentially by remaking the Lord of the Rings trilogy lol
(I mean that in the sense that the Hobbit book is actually pretty simple in comparison to the trilogy of movies they somehow squeezed out of it.)
I’ll not pass judgement until I see it. But I think I’ll be more critical of it than I am of Disney doing Star Wars lol
Me to, I like Lord of the rings more than SW, except the Hobbit found the book extremely boring.

The Hobbit movie is to long in my opinion and is far from as good as Lord of the Rings, its still good entertainment I think. But what they did with the Hobbit movies is what one could fear with the Lord of the rings series, that they start adding these things to it that doesn't really make sense.
The benefit of the series is that it takes place long before the actual movies, so that might prevent them from bleeding to much into each other, but guess we just have to wait and see.

Maybe. Though it’s also part of the weird, somewhat fantastical/kind of creepy childhood movie trend that was popular in the 80s and early 90s
The Neverending Story, The Labyrinth, Something Wicked This Way Comes, Dark Crystal, the Goonies, Hook etc
Yeah, they made a lot of good ones back then. Would probably rate The Neverending story as the best children movie ever made.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Me to, I like Lord of the rings more than SW, except the Hobbit found the book extremely boring.

The Hobbit movie is to long in my opinion and is far from as good as Lord of the Rings, its still good entertainment I think. But what they did with the Hobbit movies is what one could fear with the Lord of the rings series, that they start adding these things to it that doesn't really make sense.
The benefit of the series is that it takes place long before the actual movies, so that might prevent them from bleeding to much into each other, but guess we just have to wait and see.
I so agree.
I didn’t mind the Hobbit book, but then again I haven’t really read it since I was a kid, (inspired to pick it up due to the recent release of LOTR movies lol) so maybe that’s changed dunno lol

Yeah, they made a lot of good ones back then. Would probably rate The Neverending story as the best children movie ever made.
I preferred the book, but it’s a pretty good adaptation. Actually there was an animated tv show adaption of that during the 90s/early 2000s. It was pretty good iirc
I think it was German and then translated. Or a joint collab between countries, I dunno. I know the book is originally German though.
My fave of the 80s kids films is probably Dark Crystal lol

Nimos

I preferred the book, but it’s a pretty good adaptation. Actually there was an animated tv show adaption of that during the 90s/early 2000s. It was pretty good iirc
I think it was German and then translated. Or a joint collab between countries, I dunno. I know the book is originally German though.
My fave of the 80s kids films is probably Dark Crystal lol
Dark crystal was that puppet movie right? Never saw that as kid, first later but never really bite on me.

Nimos

Mmmmm, that was not so good, that is for sure. Obi wan fight scene, oh dear.

Music, oh dear.

Regards Tony
Did you notice how they all just teleport around the scene, being places where it doesn't make sense? How did she get in front of Leia? And how did they run passed each other. There is a lot of teleporting going on here :D

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Dark crystal was that puppet movie right? Never saw that as kid, first later but never really bite on me.

Yeah it was the “puppet one” lol. Actually it was done by Jim Henson productions, who also did Labyrinth and a lot of the puppetry for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie in like the 80s or 90s whenever it was. (Speaking of franchises that are countlessly remade lol. I even grew up watching one of the reboots haha)
Very talented company

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Did you notice how they all just teleport around the scene, being places where it doesn't make sense? How did she get in front of Leia? And how did they run passed each other. There is a lot of teleporting going on here :D

Would agree was not a good one. Apparently the force disappears. o_O

Its actually a trend in all hero villain movies these days, where the bad guy is absolutely pulverising the opponent to an inch of their life.

It was hilarious that Darth Vader after using the dark side on all those people and equipment, then watched a robot wander up and take Obi Wan behind a little wall of fire.

GIVE US A BREAK, who writes this rubbish!

No they really killed it with this one, O was trying to remain positive through the first 2.

Regards Tony

Nimos

Its actually a trend in all hero villain movies these days, where the bad guy is absolutely pulverising the opponent to an inch of their life.

It was hilarious that Darth Vader after using the dark side on all those people and equipment, then watched a robot wander up and take Obi Wan behind a little wall of fire.

No they really killed it with this one, O was trying to remain positive through the first 2.

Regards Tony
Totally agree, I like the reveal of Darth Vader in the start and two of the dialogs between Obi and Leia. But have to be completely honest, I have no clue who Disney have hired to write these things, because its obviously some people that have absolutely no clue what Star wars is or have no respect for it at all. And as with all the other things they have made, they are in the process of killing Obi wan as well, he is portraited as an absolute incompetent coward of a Jedi, keep in mind he is considered one of the most if not the most powerful and wise Jedi alive and he acts and do things that are mentally stupid, getting bossed around by a 10 year old, having childish outburst which makes no sense at all. He spend 10 years looking out for Luke, with the sole purpose of protecting and eventually training him, and he have not trained at all himself? How on Earth is he going to protect him, if he is a complete failure and can't do anything the moment Luke gets in danger, what type of idiot is he :D

Why do they even bother including these characters in their movies, if the purpose is to just paint them as complete incompetent people? I really don't get it, because its obvious from all the **** they have made, that they themselves are close to incapable of designing characters for this universe that are even remotely interesting.

I fear that they are going to turn Darth Vader into a complete joke as well by the end of this show. Darth Vader have never gone around killing innocent people like some maniac, but only done it if there were something to gain from it or if he is ordered to do so and in all cases its has been officers that did a poor job or Jedis. Its like Disney when writing these **** shows only has the capabilities to just increase their killing potential, because they have no clue how else to write these characters.

Im honestly a bit in shock even though I shouldn't be, but they have the license to probably the biggest Sci-fi franchise ever made and they treat it like its some random cheap quality show. How incompetent can they be? One would think that it would be pretty damn easy for them to get hold of a few hundred SW geeks that knows everything about the lore, the characters and that would be more than happy to help them create something good and consistent.

Im not a huge SW fan as such, I just like Sci fi as the average person does, and even I can see that this is a complete dumpster fire. I don't get how the real fans can put up with this, it is so poor and cheap quality that its crazy.

Last edited:

Watchmen

Premium Member

@SomeRandom

So just watched episode 3, it has some better stuff in it, there is actually some decent dialogs between Obi and Leia, its not as bad as the first two episodes. But it still suffers from extremely poor writing. Characters are teleporting around appearing places out of the blue without any explanation of how it is possible. And won't spoil anything, but some things as with the others makes no sense, like they setup this whole thing and then they have no clue how to resolve it, so it comes off as being outright stupid.

And honestly mushroom head and the girl inquisitor just doesn't work in my opinion, I don't even know what exactly is wrong with their characters they just appear straight up lame or like they just don't fit in the story at all. My best guess is that they are simply not good enough actors to carry the role they are given or maybe the directing is just bad and when mixed together they just fall flat.
Did we watch the same episode? No one was “teleporting around.”

Nimos

Did we watch the same episode? No one was “teleporting around.”
When they go hide in that machine shop, there is clearly only one way out. And Leia and that girl that helps them runs into the tunnel.

Darth Vader is on the street clearly within eyesight of Obi wan as he is looking at him. Yet, some how Obi wan manage to run out of the city and to some construction yard or what it is suppose to be. Yet Darth Vader doesn't stop him as he must have ran straight out in front of him, ignoring that, Darth Vader somehow manage to get on the other side of Obi when they meet, as one would assume that he is running away from the city. Besides that, Vader also does teleports around the actual construction yard during the fight, yet this is of minor issue just slightly silly.

Reva enters the machine shop and find the secret tunnel, however Leia and that girl that helps them have run for a good while, when the girl decide to go back and help Obi, while Leia is suppose to keep running to the transport ship. Somehow this girl manage not only to get passed Reva somehow, but also out of the city which is crawling with stormtroopers and magically know where Obi and Vader is and suddenly appear to save him. But not only is she there, but the robot as well.

After that Leia arrive at the transport ship, only to run into Reva, that somehow ran passed her and manage to be in such good time that she could also kill the people Leia were suppose to meet.

And this is one of the reasons this is such bad writing. Because the audience are required to either accept this without it making any sense or to fill in the blanks themselves, because the writers couldn't be bothered to explain it.

It could be fairly easy done were the writing better. The girl that helps them, could give Obi a tracking device and simply tell him that they will come pick him up. That would explain how she knows where he is. A short scene where she contact the robot so we know that it is part of the plan as well and why it shows up.

Obi wan could have ran out to confront Vader and we could have had a cool fight between them, where Obi wan weren't completely useless, but more or less an equal fight and Vader tells the stormtroopers to leave Obi to him, because of obvious reasons he want revenge. Eventually Obi is pressured or forced to flee, because Vader is no longer the young Anakin, but much stronger now, given that it has been 10 years and it is already set up in the lore that Anakin is going to be stronger than Obi, so that would have made sense as well. Eventually they end up in the construction yard and we have whole the fire scene etc. which were cool. But at that point maybe the girl comes and shoot Vader or distract him somehow, long enough to let the robot get Obi wan away and so they can flee. Leia could simply have been stopped by stormtroopers (make them useful for once :)) that Reva had called and instead of her suddenly appearing in front of her out of the blue, she comes up behind her as expected.

At least that way, it would make sense. And Vader and especially Obi wan would still have a bit of dignity left.

Last edited:

Nimos

I thought episode 5 was solid. Better than 4.

Regards Tony
Now that the show is over, don't know if you saw it Tony or you gave up?

I absolutely hated it :D

Also I have a challenge for both of you :D

Can you shortly try to explain what the show was about? So imagine someone asked you about what it, how would you explain the main plot?

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Can you shortly try to explain what the show was about? So imagine someone asked you about what it, how would you explain the main plot?

No we watched it when it was available.

It was about making money in a franchise, was it not? :D

Plot? Trying to figure out how to use all the past characters and tie it into the Movie Series.

Quality of attempt....mmm...my wife is enjoying watching them, so that's good.

Regards Tony

Watchmen

Premium Member

The show was great. Most people enjoyed it. The vast majority seemed ton love the finale.

Plot summary in one sentence: Defeated Jedi begrudgingly goes on a journey to rescue a young princess, and while doing so, overcomes his grief while confronting an old adversary to learn again what it means to be a Jedi.

Nimos

Plot? Trying to figure out how to use all the past characters and tie it into the Movie Series.

The show was great. Most people enjoyed it. The vast majority seemed ton love the finale.

Plot summary in one sentence: Defeated Jedi begrudgingly goes on a journey to rescue a young princess, and while doing so, overcomes his grief while confronting an old adversary to learn again what it means to be a Jedi.
That is at least how they sell it. But if you think about it, it goes no where and I don't even mean like a quarter of the way, but absolutely no where.

The final reveal and basically what should lead this show into its final ending, is that Obi wan has to save Luke, that is basically his only job, which we know from the OT and from the third movie. Yet, Obi wan runs around trying to save Leia which is fine, if it led somewhere. But it doesn't because, Reva after loosing to Vader, decide to go kill Luke, which is basically a random child to her, she has no clue that this is Vader's child, in fact Vader doesn't even know it at this point. And if you remember Reva were 10 years old or so, when Vader killed all the children, so absolutely no way how she would know it.

But this is also where things go off rails completely, because Reva say that her plan all along is to kill Vader, so it has nothing to do with Leia or Luke for that matter. Yet as she failed to kill him, she goes to Luke and decide not to kill him. But her decision to not kill him has nothing to do with the rest of the show, meaning nothing Obi wan have said or Vader have done have made her changed her mind.

So basically Obi wan could not have been in the show at all, because he failed to be able to defend Luke in the start and in fact leave him. And when the time finally comes when Luke needs him, he is not there to help him, in fact he is not even on the planet at this point. So he were a failure in the start and a failure in the end of the show and played absolutely no point in the plot at all :D

This whole shows plot could have been told in 5 minutes, everything is else were completely pointless and unconnected to the big reveal in the end.

Watchmen

Premium Member

That is at least how they sell it. But if you think about it, it goes no where and I don't even mean like a quarter of the way, but absolutely no where.

The final reveal and basically what should lead this show into its final ending, is that Obi wan has to save Luke, that is basically his only job, which we know from the OT and from the third movie. Yet, Obi wan runs around trying to save Leia which is fine, if it led somewhere. But it doesn't because, Reva after loosing to Vader, decide to go kill Luke, which is basically a random child to her, she has no clue that this is Vader's child, in fact Vader doesn't even know it at this point. And if you remember Reva were 10 years old or so, when Vader killed all the children, so absolutely no way how she would know it.

But this is also where things go off rails completely, because Reva say that her plan all along is to kill Vader, so it has nothing to do with Leia or Luke for that matter. Yet as she failed to kill him, she goes to Luke and decide not to kill him. But her decision to not kill him has nothing to do with the rest of the show, meaning nothing Obi wan have said or Vader have done have made her changed her mind.

So basically Obi wan could not have been in the show at all, because he failed to be able to defend Luke in the start and in fact leave him. And when the time finally comes when Luke needs him, he is not there to help him, in fact he is not even on the planet at this point. So he were a failure in the start and a failure in the end of the show and played absolutely no point in the plot at all :D

This whole shows plot could have been told in 5 minutes, everything is else were completely pointless and unconnected to the big reveal in the end.
ObiWan feels some responsibility for Leia too. Bail Organa guilt tripped him. This is covered in the first episode.

Reva saw Organa’s message to ObiWan in Episode 5. That’s how she knew Luke was Vader’s child.

ObiWan goes through a lot of growth through the series.

I’d also say the final battle was the best lightsaber fight since the original three.

Nimos

ObiWan feels some responsibility for Leia too. Bail Organa guilt tripped him. This is covered in the first episode.

Reva saw Organa’s message to ObiWan in Episode 5. That’s how she knew Luke was Vader’s child.

ObiWan goes through a lot of growth through the series.

I’d also say the final battle was the best lightsaber fight since the original three.
Its difficult to even know where to start with this, because it is such a mess. But Obi wan feeling responsibility for Leia are things you have to establish much better in a show like Star wars as they do, if it was a single show with no or hardly any background to it, fine. But we know from the movies, that Obi wan is tasks with protecting Luke and Bail with Leia. But lets give them, that Bail only trust Obi wan to finding Leia, which again makes no sense as he is probably the most wanted person in the galaxy, so having him doing it, is probably a poor choice, and besides that we are talking a princess here, so Bail could have send his men or hired some of the best bounty hunters to find her, but ignoring that... Obi wan is tasked with protecting Luke and despite inquisitors being and talking to Luke's caretaker and having killed a Jedi in the very village he comes to, he decide that its is probably a good idea to leave Luke alone and go find Leia, what type of nonsense is that? Also Obi wan have lost his way with the force and have buried his lightsaber in the desert, given that he can't fight anyway, I have no clue how he imagined that he would be able to defend Luke. None of this makes any sense in regards to what we know about Obi wan and even how the story is set up.

Reva seeing that message has no connection to Vader, it is never mentioned. What they are doing with that, is similar to Reva having been stabbed in the stomach by a lightsaber when she fought Vader and it is made perfectly clear that there is no ships besides those the "rebels" have and those the empire has. Yet, in the start of episode 6 she just magically appear on Luke's planet, without any explanation to how that is possible. How does that relate to Reva? Reva is 10 years old when Anakin kills all the children, at this point Padme haven't even given birth yet, so there is no way Reva would know this. Let alone how on Earth would a 10 year old remember or even care about it, it makes no sense. Obi wan, Yoda and Bail in the movie three are close to the only people that knows about Anakin's children. So what Disney does here, is just letting Reva magically know that Vader had children, without any explanation or it even making sense.

Simply stating something in a movie or a Tv show, doesn't mean that it makes sense or is good. And it doesn't matter if its Star wars or anything else, but it becomes more difficult to do so, when its a long running show with a lot of lore in it. It would be like suddenly adding a half elf and hobbit race to Lord of the rings, without explaining how that is possible or even considering whether that is a good idea in the first place.

Obi wan doesn't go through anything, which is deserved. This whole show takes place over a few days. Yet Obi wan goes from not being able to do anything to become the most powerful Jedi in history and some of these changes occur in a few hours, again without anything establishing that it should be possible.

The last fight scene is ok, its very dark and a lot of shaking camera, the environment is rather boring and we get new magic powers introduced. That Vader can't sense that Obi wan is alive, again makes no sense, since it have been established several times even in this very show that they can sense each other.

I don't want to take anything away from people that like Disney Star wars, but to defend it as it being top of the line filmmaking, I think is to simply fool one self. It is terrible filmmaking in regards to almost everything, but especially the writing and characters are extremely poor.

Think about it, out of 6 episodes, we have had 2 kidnappings!! that is pretty damn crazy.