• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

am I wrong?

Scott1

Yes and no. The Inquisition yes, but the Crusades are a slightly different story. You can read a bit more about it in the Catholic forum.... I posted some time ago a history of the crusades.

linwood

chuck010342 said:
am I wrong in saying that the catholic church is responsible for the crusades and the inquisition?
It actually depends on which crusades you are talking about.
Some of what are called crusades can be considered a part of the inquisition.

I think..

linwood

SOGFPP said:
Nope.

Learn about the inquisition here.

Learn about the crusades here.

Peace,
Scott
Nice read Scott.
But that was sort of what I meant.

Thus betrayed by their Greek friends, in 1204 the Crusaders attacked, captured, and brutally sacked Constantinople, the greatest Christian city in the world. Pope Innocent III, who had previously excommunicated the entire Crusade, strongly denounced the Crusaders. But there was little else he could do. The tragic events of 1204 closed an iron door between Roman Catholic and Greek Orthodox, a door that even today Pope John Paul II has been unable to reopen.
Events like the above are what I meant by "part of the inquisition".
While truthfully they weren`t their goals were often the same.
Such as the massacre at Beziers against the “heretic” sect the Albigenses.
That episode was a crusade even though it never attacked Islam..just other Christians who worshipped in a way the Church had forbidden.
The same rewards and promotions were used to gain the support of nobleman as were used for the Islamic crusades.
Some of these crusades got more than a bit sidetracked before they ever left Christian lands.

Notice I didn`t mention the Crusades in my posts in the "Why does everyone enjoy bashing the Catholic Church" thread.
I didn`t mention it because I didn`t think the Church was as much to blame as Islam.

The whole damn thing was pretty ugly but..the Muslims did start it.

In fact, for good or bad, if not for the crusades I may very well not even be here right now.

Kinda weird huh?

Scott1

That episode was a crusade even though it never attacked Islam..just other Christians who worshipped in a way the Church had forbidden.
The same rewards and promotions were used to gain the support of nobleman as were used for the Islamic crusades.
I get ya now.

Economist

The original purpose of the crusades was to protect Christian pilgrims and give support to Christians who were coming under attack in the Middle East. Later they came to have different purposes, which can be chalked up to the corruption of man. The same thing that is responsible for everything from murder to shoplifting.