1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Am I wrong? The statue of Jesus ruins Brazil

Discussion in 'Religious Debates' started by sovietchild, May 17, 2017.

1. sovietchild

sovietchild Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +518
    There has been 26 presidents in Brazil since 1930's. New president every 3.3 years. They just elected a new president, and he is already in trouble.

If you don't change nothing, nothing changes.

2. Kirran

Kirran
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,314
    List of 10 most corrupt countries, from Transparency International, a watchdog.

1. North Korea and Somalia (tied)
    2. Afghanistan
    3. Sudan
    4. Angola and South Sudan (tied)
    5. Iraq and Libya (tied)
    6. Haiti, Guinea-Bissau and Venezuela (tied)
    7. Eritrea, Syria, Turkmenistan and Yemen (tied)
    8. Uzbekistan
    9. Burundi, Cambodia and Zimbabwe (tied)
    10. Chad, Democratic Republic of Congo, Myanmar (tied)

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Zakir

Zakir New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Religion:
    Islam

4. mbdrums

mbdrums New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Religion:
    Christian
    Hey Sovietchild,
    First of all the New Testament is full of passages where Jesus Christ DOES claim to be God and accepts worship. He said "I AM" seven times in the Gospel of John and the Jewish leaders knew that YHWH referred to himself as "I AM" - to Moses, as He had no name. And the Gospels state many times that they went to stone Jesus, "because He claimed to be God," and Jesus forgave people of their sins - and there again, the Jewish leaders said, "Only God can forgive people of their sins." Also, only someone equal to God can walk on water, raise others and himself from the dead, and after seeing the risen Christ, the Apostle, Thomas, bowed down and worshiped Jesus and said to Him, "My Lord and my God!"

Jesus claimed to be the unique Son of God. As a result, the Jewish leaders tried to kill Him because in "calling God his own Father, [Jesus was] making himself equal with God" (John 5:18 NIV). In John 8:58 Jesus went so far as to use the very words - "I AM" - by which God revealed Himself to Moses from the burning bush (Exodus 3:14). To the Jews this was the epitome of blasphemy, for they knew that in doing so Jesus was clearly claiming to be God. On yet another occasion, Jesus explicitly told the Jews: " 'I and the Father are one.' Again the Jews picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus said to them, 'I have shown you many great miracles from the Father. For which of these do you stone me?' 'We are not stoning you for any of these,' replied the Jews, 'but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God' " (John 10:30-33).

Furthermore, Jesus made an unmistakable claim to deity before the Chief Priests and the whole Sanhedrin. Caiaphas the High Priest asked him: " 'Are you the Christ, the Son of the Blessed One?' 'I AM,' said Jesus. 'And you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven' " (Mark 14:61-62 NIV). A biblically illiterate person might well have missed the import of Jesus' words. Caiaphas and the Council, however, did not. They knew that in saying he was "the Son of Man" who would come "on the clouds of heaven" he was making an overt reference to the Son of Man in Daniel's prophecy (Daniel 7:13-14). In doing so, He was not only claiming to be the preexistent Sovereign of the Universe but also prophesying that He would vindicate His claim by judging the very court that was now condemning Him. Moreover, by combining Daniel's prophecy with David's proclamation in Psalm 110, Jesus was claiming that He would sit upon the throne of Israel's God and share God's very glory. To students of the Old Testament this was the height of "blasphemy," thus "they all condemned him as worthy of death" (Mark 14:64-65).

Finally, Jesus claimed to possess the very attributes of God. For example, He claimed omniscience by telling Peter, "This very night, before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times" (Matthew 26:34); declared omnipotence by not only resurrecting Lazarus (John 11:43) but by raising Himself from the dead (see John 2:19); and professed omnipresence by promising He would be with His disciples "to the very end of the age" (Matthew 28:20). Not only so, but Jesus said to the paralytic in Luke 5:20, "Friend, your sins are forgiven". In doing so, He claimed a prerogative reserved for God alone. In addition, when Thomas worshiped Jesus saying "My Lord and my God!" (John 20:28), Jesus responded with commendation rather than condemnation.

"When John heard in prison what Christ was doing, he sent his disciples to ask him, 'Are you the one who was to come, or should we expect someone else?' Jesus replied, 'Go back and report to John what you hear and see; The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy are cured, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is preached to the poor.'"Matthew 11:2-5

Jesus not only claimed to be God but also provided many convincing proofs that he indeed was divine.

And you are going to blame the problems of sinful human beings on the "Christ the Redeemer" statue?! All due respect, but that's as ridiculous as saying we should blame all the evil and corruption in the United States on the Statue of Liberty!!

5. Stevicus

Stevicus Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,471
    Religion:
    Agnostic
  6. URAVIP2ME

URAVIP2ME Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +1,576
    In Scripture I find "I am" is Not in all upper-case "I AM" letters.
    'I am' is Not the Tetragrammaton (YHWH)
    At Psalms 110 (KJV ) there are two (2) LORD/Lord's mentioned.
    The LORD in all upper-case letters is where the Tetragrammaton stands for God's name.
    The Lord in some lower-case letters stands for the Lord Jesus. The Tetragrammaton is never applied to Lord Jesus.

7. SomeRandom

SomeRandom Still learning to be wise

Ratings:
    +4,372
    Depends on who you ask, I suppose. To Christians it would be their savior, to everyone else it would probably be either a simple statue or a landmark,

8. LuisDantas

LuisDantas Aura of atheification

Ratings:
    +13,781
    Religion:
    Advocate of letting go of theism. Buddhist with an emphasis on personal understanding.
    There was no coup in Brazil since 1964, you know.

9. Jainarayan

Jainarayan ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय

Ratings:
    +7,201
    Religion:
    Hinduism, Vaishnava
    Well heck, then India hasn't got a snowball's chance in Hell; what with all the ginormous statues ... pardon me, idols ... all over the country, and the heat!

10. Jainarayan

Jainarayan ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय

Ratings:
    +7,201
    Religion:
    Hinduism, Vaishnava
    Or something. Turkey is worse.

Btw, do you stay up at night thinking up all these asinine and inane subjects to post? Or is there some sort of Encyclopædic Compendium of Asinine & Inane Subjects one can consult? o_O

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Esaurus

Esaurus Member

Ratings:
    +11

What about these scriptures?:

"Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am (John 8:58)."

"And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God (John 20:28)."

12. Musing Bassist

Musing Bassist Aesthetic Traditionalist

Ratings:
    +1,066
    Religion:
    Catholicism
    Any Christian scripture not in accord with Islamic teachings are to be dismissed out of hand. So when the OP states that Jesus never claimed divinity, he means to say that Jesus never claimed divinity as per the teachings of Islam. (Which of course are going to be taken for granted, because reasons).

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. viole

viole Metaphysical Naturalist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,849
    Religion:
    Gnostic Atheism
    Let me ask you this: if a statue can cause problems, is it possible that another statue, or symbol, can cause prosperity?

Ciao

- viole

• Creative Creative x 1
  14. sovietchild

Ratings:
    +518
    It's more of an idea. The idea is Jesus is God to them. Imagine if people in Dubai thought Muhammad was God and erected a statue of him, how much criminality do you think would flourish?

15. viole

viole Metaphysical Naturalist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,849
    Religion:
    Gnostic Atheism
    None whatsoever. With the possible exception of "criminal" blasphemy.

Here in Sweden, we do not seem to suffer from a surge in criminality whenever we erect statues or symbols of pagan origin.

Why is that?

Ciao

- viole

16. sovietchild

Ratings:
    +518
    I guess under population helps.

17. The Ragin Pagan

The Ragin Pagan A.K.A. The Kilted Heathen

Ratings:
    +2,707
    Religion:
    Heathenry (Norse and Slavic Paganism)
    Their population is 10 million people, in 173,860 square miles

You know, for someone who doesn't believe in idols or other gods, you sure put a lot of faith in the ability of idols and other gods.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Milton Platt

Milton Platt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,203
    Religion:
    Atheist
    That is a truely bizzare notion. However if they ever have an eathquake, I could see how that statue could cause serious damage.

19. Akivah

Akivah Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,789
    Religion:
    Judaism
    Given that Muslims go berserk and instantly violent whenever someone makes a physical representation of your prophet, I think a lot of criminality would ensue. I'd expect the Muslim mob would destroy the statue and murder the sculptor and everyone in the sculptor's family as a start.

• Like Like x 1
  20. David1967

David1967 Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,034
    Religion:
    Christian
    I think the best solution for anyone who has a problem with the way a religion does things, such as Catholicism and there many monuments to Jesus, Mary etc. etc., is to just not become a part of that religion. Problem solved. Never have to worry about it again.