• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I wrong? The statue of Jesus ruins Brazil

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Is Turkey as criminal as Brazil and the regional neighbors or something?
Well, a lite-Fascist is currently running the show and is turning back 70 years of secular progress, and the military has failed to topple him as they are constitutionally obligated.

But I specifically said Turkey(and Albania, Kosovo and Bosnia) are exempt here.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Why would you ask this again after we've already established the first time that your question was asinine nonsense?

If we destroyed the Kaaba would that stop Muslims from mutilating the genitalia of female children?

sovietchild

Why would you ask this again after we've already established the first time that your question was asinine nonsense?

If we destroyed the Kaaba would that stop Muslims from mutilating the genitalia of female children?

How is this a nonsense theory? Jesus himself didn't call himself God and didn't consider himself God.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
By proclaiming that Jesus is God can be considered as defamation, because Jesus himself didn't call himself God and didn't consider himself God, and none of his disciples had any inkling at all that he was God.

All kinds of people make all kinds of statements about who is or is not God.

That is only a problem when people take those statements very seriously.

Idea like this can ruin the society, it can spoil the society and corrupt the society, within. If the idea is corrupt, then how can it not corrupt the nation?

Societies are supposed to have people capable of learning to deal with flawed ideas. If they don't, then there will indeed be trouble.

The statue of Jesus represents Brazil. It is the face of Brazil. What kind of face is it? Is it a legitimate face or a corrupt face?

Why would it qualify as either? It is just a statue.

Well, Brazil is known for corruption, anyways. One of the most criminal societies out there. Yes, we can blame it on the hot weather and low income, but if this is a corrupt idea then it will only boil the corruption, within. It will make the hot society hotter, and the low income lower.

I believe if Brazil were to take down the statue, things will only get better from there.

What about dealing with the, you know, real issues instead?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Yes, it might not be the direct problem. But, how can it not be the in-direct problem?

Uh... because we Brazilians are expected to be capable of having some control over our destinies and to know better than to obsess over a statue?

The poor thing is just a piece of stone.

If this idea that Jesus is God is a lie, then it will breed through entire nation. If the foundation is a lie, then the bigger the nation grows, the more likely it will collapse.
Brazilians believe in quite a few mistaken ideas. Many of those are way more serious than that, trust me.

I would much rather attempt to convince other Brazilians to be more fiscally responsible and to let go of the obsession with money. Now that is something that hurts Brazil.

sovietchild

All kinds of people make all kinds of statements about who is or is not God.

That is only a problem when people take those statements very seriously.

Societies are supposed to have people capable of learning to deal with flawed ideas. If they don't, then there will indeed be trouble.

Why would it qualify as either? It is just a statue.

What about dealing with the, you know, real issues instead?

If you don't change nothing, nothing changes. Right? I see Brazil being like this for next 30 years. Something needs to be changed.

Don't you believe that if the statues goes down things might become better? Jesus didn't consider himself God.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Yes and put up a statue of Donald Trump.

images

Make Brazil Great Again!
Doesn't the Geneva Protocol forbid that?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
If you don't change nothing, nothing changes. Right? I see Brazil being like this for next 30 years. Something needs to be changed.

True enough. Also unrelated to the statue.

Don't you believe that if the statues goes down things might become better?

Almost anything could happen. But putting down a statue hoping that it might help Brazil is just silly.

Jesus didn't consider himself God.

I don't consider Jesus God - or for that matter, a real historical person - either.

If anything, those are further reasons not to mind the statue.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
What does it proclaim, then? The statue is there to remind people of something. Right?
People have all kinds of opinions about things. Nevertheless, nearly no one even suspects statues to have any actual power or influence.

There is a famous mermaid statue in Copenhagen. It does not seem to have hurt Sweden any, either. Or even to have encouraged their women to go topless, alas. Don't even ask about raising a fishtail...

sovietchild

People have all kinds of opinions about things. Nevertheless, nearly no one even suspects statues to have any actual power or influence.

There is a famous mermaid statue in Copenhagen. It does not seem to have hurt Sweden any, either. Or even to have encouraged their women to go topless, alas. Don't even ask about raising a fishtail...

How can it not have any influence? There is an action and a reaction. I believe it has an evil influence on the society.

QuestioningMind

By proclaiming that Jesus is God can be considered as defamation, because Jesus himself didn't call himself God and didn't consider himself God, and none of his disciples had any inkling at all that he was God.

Idea like this can ruin the society, it can spoil the society and corrupt the society, within. If the idea is corrupt, then how can it not corrupt the nation? The statue of Jesus represents Brazil. It is the face of Brazil. What kind of face is it? Is it a legitimate face or a corrupt face? Well, Brazil is known for corruption, anyways. One of the most criminal societies out there. Yes, we can blame it on the hot weather and low income, but if this is a corrupt idea then it will only boil the corruption, within. It will make the hot society hotter, and the low income lower.

I believe if Brazil were to take down the statue, things will only get better from there.

Yes, yet AGAIN you are wrong. It's nothing more than a silly statue and a silly statue has absolutely no power to corrupt a nation. You act as if you think it has magical powers or something.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Don't you believe that if the statues goes down things might become better? Jesus didn't consider himself God.

I think if we got rid of all the Abrahamic religions a lot of things would start getting better. Just one statue though, I don't think is going to change much.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
How can it not have any influence? There is an action and a reaction. I believe it has an evil influence on the society.
Not everything has significance. I used to wear Flash and Superman t-shirts and that does not seem to have given me any powers, alas.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
A statue doesn't mean it's supposed to represent the person as a God. There's a statue of freaking Abraham Lincoln, but I doubt even the most patriotic of Americans consider him to be a god.
And it's just a ****ing statue. Calm your farm. And you're most definitely wrong.