• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am i visiting the catacombs?

Terry Sampson

Attend a retreat.
Been there, done that, ... in a monastery. I was just wondering how a person that I was pretty sure is a non-Catholic does it. Turns out, unbeknownst to me, he did it the second way: he went to school in one, like my Mexican-born in-laws did.

pearl

Quite right too. But it was not always thus. My father converted from Methodism to Catholicism when I was 18 months old, in 1956. He was re-baptised and so was I. My mother, a life-long Anglican, was quite annoyed about that.

What a difference a few years make. I converted from the Methodist church in 1960 and no baptism necessary as the Church believes in one baptism for the forgiveness of sin. As I understand it as long as the trinitarian formula is used.

pearl

By 1974, Mother Church's doors were opening, and sometime in 1975 or 1976, if I remember, the first Charismatic Mass was held in the Vatican. Ahhh, the memories.

We too had one parish that at least one Mass was charismatic. I attended a few but it was not for me; giving personal testimony, speaking in tongues, etc. I think, ought to not have been during the Liturgy itself but in addition to.

pearl

Been there, done that, ... in a monastery. I was just wondering how a person that I was pretty sure is a non-Catholic does it. Turns out, unbeknownst to me, he did it the second way: he went to school in one, like my Mexican-born in-laws did.

One does not have to be Catholic to attend a retreat.

exchemist

Veteran Member
What a difference a few years make. I converted from the Methodist church in 1960 and no baptism necessary as the Church believes in one baptism for the forgiveness of sin. As I understand it as long as the trinitarian formula is used.
This was in Scotland, where at the time there was quite a lot of needle between Catholics and Protestants. I don't know if that had anything to do with it. My grandfather was in fact a Methodist missionary in China but later became Prof of Church History at Glasgow, so there was a fair understanding of the roots of Christianity in the family. And then his son married an Anglican and then converted to Catholicism. So we were all brought up Catholic. But one of my brothers got involved with evangelicals at school (there was a pretty girl at the bottom of it)...and has become a minster in his own evangelical church, in Scotland. So the wheel turns once more!