• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am i visiting the catacombs?

sciatica

Notable Member
Tumbleweeds.Ghost City. Who's the sherrif in these parts? I aint no gunslinger anyway. Im just a half hearted Catholic , that's all.
Dont have much interest in ecclesiastical authority. The current Pope passes my litmus test for nice guy.
Still there is something about the mystery and beauty of Catholicism. That other denoms. cant match. I like monasticism too. Plus the Spanish saints. I cherry pick. Is that allowed?
Dont worry. I would never buy the born again , sola scriptura paradigm. So I have to identify as Catholic......dont I?

Last edited:

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Tumbleweeds.Ghost City. Who's the sherrif in these parts? I aint no gunslinger anyway. Im just a half hearted Catholic , that's all.
Dont have much interest in ecclesiastical authority. The current Pope passes my litmus test for nice guy.
Still there is something about the mystery and beauty of Catholicism. That other denoms. cant match. I like monasticism too. Plus the Spanish saints. I cherry pick. Is that allowed?
Dont worry. I would never buy the born again , sola scriptura paradigm. So I have to identify as Catholic......dont I?
Why is "Catholic" different from "born-again"?

exchemist

Veteran Member
Why is "Catholic" different from "born-again"?
It's just not a term we use. Possibly it is because it has a bit of an exclusivist taint to it, whereas the Catholic mindset is that we are all sinners. Perhaps too it is that Catholicism only demands a personal protestation of faith in fairly ritualised form, e.g at confirmation or the renewal of baptismal vows at the Easter Vigil or recitation of the creed at mass.

Those that do use the term "born-again" tend - in my experience - to be the sort of evangelical Protestant that I find I have little in common with.

sciatica

Notable Member
It's just not a term we use. Possibly it is because it has a bit of an exclusivist taint to it, whereas the Catholic mindset is that we are all sinners. Perhaps too it is that Catholicism only demands a personal protestation of faith in fairly ritualised form, e.g at confirmation or the renewal of baptismal vows at the Easter Vigil or recitation of the creed at mass.

Those that do use the term "born-again" tend - in my experience - to be the sort of evangelical Protestant that I find I have little in common with.
my brother is a Pentecostal. hes born again and thinks we catholics are doomed unless we get born again too.
but I think the Catholic version of born again is Baptism. ??? not sure sorry

exchemist

Veteran Member
my brother is a Pentecostal. hes born again and thinks we catholics are doomed unless we get born again too.
but I think the Catholic version of born again is Baptism. ??? not sure sorry
Yes it is. "Unless ye be born of water and the Spirit", or something like that. So yes, baptism. But of course in some of these churches you only get baptised after you have made a public profession of faith, as an adult. That's probably the big difference.

Kenny

Premium Member

OK...

As a Protestant, but having attended a monastery and a Catholic Church for 7 years, there is much similarities.

We to have the mindset of "we are all sinners" the also demands a personal protestation of faith.

What do you understand the meaning of "born-again"?

exchemist

Veteran Member
OK...

As a Protestant, but having attended a monastery and a Catholic Church for 7 years, there is much similarities.

We to have the mindset of "we are all sinners" the also demands a personal protestation of faith.

What do you understand the meaning of "born-again"?
Baptism - see discussion with @sciatica.

But Protestants come in many flavours. I do not mean to suggest I can't get along with many varieties of them. ;)

Kenny

Premium Member
:) How does one go about "attending a monastery"?
LOL... in my case it was my mother who placed the three sons in a Monastery school in Spain. El Escorial where the Kings were buried. Mass was in Latin so I didn't get much understanding but Catechism was still in Spanish. Beautiful edifice.

pearl

Yeah, unless a person is a "Charismatic Catholic". They'll usually know the difference between the Sacrament of Baptism and "being born-again".

But I think they are very close. I remember during the implementation of Vat II within the catechetical instruction for catechists there was a prerequisite interview in which Charismatic or born again Catholics were not admitted.

Yes it is. "Unless ye be born of water and the Spirit", or something like that. So yes, baptism. But of course in some of these churches you only get baptised after you have made a public profession of faith, as an adult. That's probably the big difference.

I always found it interesting that a convert baptized in another church is not required to be baptized again, the Church accepting the one baptism in Christ.

Terry Sampson

But I think they are very close. I remember during the implementation of Vat II within the catechetical instruction for catechists there was a prerequisite interview in which Charismatic or born again Catholics were not admitted.
Those were the early, early days. When I began to run with the herd, in 1974, St. John the Baptist Catholic Charismatic Renewal Community (in San Francisco) held weekly public worship services in the chapel on the campus of the Ignatian University of San Francisco and a smaller, more private worship service for "official members in good standing" only every two weeks. Priests from the University and other parishes, as well as nuns from all over the city, were at both services as often as possible. By 1974, Mother Church's doors were opening, and sometime in 1975 or 1976, if I remember, the first Charismatic Mass was held in the Vatican. Ahhh, the memories.

I always found it interesting that a convert baptized in another church is not required to be baptized again, the Church accepting the one baptism in Christ.
I converted to Catholicism in 1980. I was baptized, full-immersion style, in First Baptist Church of Oklahoma City, when I was 9 years old. Prior to my Catholic wedding, I underwent a thorough interview with the priest, who required me to submit a notarized copy of my baptismal certificate. If I had been unable to provide one, I would have had to undergo water baptism again.

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member

Quite right too. But it was not always thus. My father converted from Methodism to Catholicism when I was 18 months old, in 1956. He was re-baptised and so was I. My mother, a life-long Anglican, was quite annoyed about that.