• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I the only Libertarian on this forum?

PetShopBoy88

In the thread started by the reverand Rick, it seems that he is one of a few conservatives. But it also seems that I'm the only Libertarian. Obviously, that was his thread, though, and so maybe the libertarians didn't feel inclined to post there. So, this is my more scientific approach. Am I the only Libertarian on the forum?

Zephyr

Moved on
I tread the line between conservative and libertarian really. I'm pretty hard on immigration and maybe one or two other issues, but on many other issues I take a libertarian stance.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Would you or other Libertarians mind discussing a bit what your political beliefs are.

I tend to find myself slapped with a Libertarian label whenever I take a political quiz, however I'm really not sure what the main differences betwee Libertarianism and Conservatism are.

Zephyr

Moved on
I tend to find myself slapped with a Libertarian label whenever I take a political quiz, however I'm really not sure what the main differences betwee Libertarianism and Conservatism are.
Conservatives are the sort for low economic control but higher moral control. Libertarians are just low control on both sides.

Aqualung

Tasty
I'll post what I did in another thread, since I just did it.

Libertarians are fiscally conservative. They want lower taxes, laissez faire economy, etc. They're also socially liberal. They will allow people to do anything, as long as it doesn't hurt anybody else. So, a Libertarian would say people could do hard drugs and marry their brother, but if they get aides or have a retarded child from inbreeding, don't expect to get any government grants to help you out.

Contrast with a liberal. They would say that you could do these things, and whatever bad came from it, the government would be there to keep you on your feet.

Contrast with a conservative. They would say you shouldn't have been doing those things anyway, so your not going to get any help.

There is a saying: Conservatives want the government to be your daddy. Liberals want the government to be your mommy. Libertarians want the government to treat you like an adult.

/stereotyping.

gnomon

I guess I would call myself Libertarian since I keep voting for them for more often in all the elections.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
...There is a saying: Conservatives want the government to be your daddy. Liberals want the government to be your mommy. Libertarians want the government to treat you like an adult.

/stereotyping.
I think this sums it up pretty well.:clap

I've considered myself Libertarian for many years, but because the 2 Big Parties have almost complete control of our political process, it is very difficult for a third party to gain a significant foothold.

I've taken the Political Compass a few times, and while it is an interesting exercise, its methodology is severely flawed. For example, I voted 'Strongly Agree' to both of these questions:
  • Sex outside marriage is usually immoral.
  • What goes on in a private bedroom between consenting adults is no business of the state.
Just because I don't approve of an activity does not mean I think the government should spend my tax dollars prosecuting people who engage in it.

I know, you asked for the time and I started explaining the gear and mainspring principle.:p

NoahideHiker

Religious Headbanger
In the thread started by the reverand Rick, it seems that he is one of a few conservatives. But it also seems that I'm the only Libertarian. Obviously, that was his thread, though, and so maybe the libertarians didn't feel inclined to post there. So, this is my more scientific approach. Am I the only Libertarian on the forum?

I consider myself a Libertarian in that I support freedoms. But I am not what most people think of when they hear "Libertarian". Everyone thinks we want no laws, no government and we're anarchists. I personally believe in smaller fed government, letting the states decide things for themselves. If a state wants gay marriage, go for it. If a state wants legal drugs, go for it. Legal prostitution, go for it.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I was born a die-hard Conservative. My parents were conservatives. My Aunt and Uncle (on my mother's side ) were very "left of centre" - so much so that my Aunt refused to communicate with her own sister for ten or so years.........

As I have matured, I have found myself becomiming more and more Liberal. The trouble is, what we all need to understand is that most forms of government are ideally "ideal" - introduce the Human race to put the politics into practice, and you get a mess.

eudaimonia

Fellowship of Reason

I'm a member of the Libertarian Party, but I don't debate politics as much as I used to.

eudaimonia,

Mark

PetShopBoy88

I tread the line between conservative and libertarian really. I'm pretty hard on immigration and maybe one or two other issues, but on many other issues I take a libertarian stance.
I disagree with the Libertarian Party on abortion and environmental issues, but I agree enough with the rest to consider myself a Libertarian.

Noahide Hiker said:
Everyone thinks we want no laws, no government and we're anarchists.
Only people who haven't really done any studying, I've found.

CX said:
I've considered myself Libertarian for many years, but because the 2 Big Parties have almost complete control of our political process, it is very difficult for a third party to gain a significant foothold.

Stop voting for the lesser of two evils when a good candidate is there. :cool:

lombas

Society of Brethren
Conservatives are the sort for low economic control but higher moral control. Libertarians are just low control on both sides.

Not the Barry Goldwater sort of conservatives.

That's why paleoconservatives and libertarians have so much in common.

M

Majikthise

From what I'm seeing here, I might be a Libertarian. But I feel more like a conservative. OOOOh! My brain hurts!!:eek:

!Fluffy!

Lacking Common Sense
I think this sums it up pretty well.:clap

I've taken the Political Compass a few times, and while it is an interesting exercise, its methodology is severely flawed. For example, I voted 'Strongly Agree' to both of these questions:

• Sex outside marriage is usually immoral.
  • What goes on in a private bedroom between consenting adults is no business of the state.
Just because I don't approve of an activity does not mean I think the government should spend my tax dollars prosecuting people who engage in it.

I know, you asked for the time and I started explaining the gear and mainspring principle.:p

YESSSSSSS!!!! Excellent analysis cap'n.