• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I one of them???

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah I still don't get you

What don't you get? Do you have a different understanding of what a mystery is? Do you disagree that mysteries, by matter of definition, are things that are not known?

I'm going to guess so, because knowing the truth of mysteries doesn't make sense otherwise. Mystery is the enemy of truth, because it is that which is not known. So you mean something else by mystery. What is that thing?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I think D-K has to do with the ability to accomplish a task. Psychologists would be able to measure such a thing. I don't think it applies to opinions on controversial topics.

It is also a case of task accomplishment if you ask someone how the world works. The task is to explain something. The same with logic or any other subject. It doesn't have to be a simple task.

A related example is an expert in one area is confident that her/his ability can be transferred "one to one" to the other areas.

joe1776

It is also a case of task accomplishment if you ask someone how the world works. The task is to explain something. The same with logic or any other subject. It doesn't have to be a simple task.
We won't agree on this but it isn't something we can resolve by debate.

I think it does have to be a simple task to apply the D-K effect. In order to measure how well someone accomplishes a task, as Dunning and Kreuger must have done, the task must be one where the quality of the work done can be easily and fairly judged. This isn't possible when the task is to explain an opinion on controversial subjects and I don't think we can just assume that the D-K effect applies universally.

King Phenomenon

What don't you get? Do you have a different understanding of what a mystery is? Do you disagree that mysteries, by matter of definition, are things that are not known?

I'm going to guess so, because knowing the truth of mysteries doesn't make sense otherwise. Mystery is the enemy of truth, because it is that which is not known. So you mean something else by mystery. What is that thing?
Still not following

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Two clever people each explained to me that truth can have facets like a diamond. They were both female, so of course I didn't understand at the time. Now I do. Truth is like a higher dimensional shape, and we can only see projections of it.
Was the explanation like the one in the spoiler?

Multicolored
A teacher once went for a morning walk with seven students, while the dew was still over the land. After some time the sun broke through. The dew drops sparkled that was a sweet delight.

The teacher halted at a large drop of dew. He gathered the disciples around the drop so that the sun kept shining on it, then asked:
"What color is the drop?"
"Red," said the first.
"Orange," the second.
"Yellow," the third.
"Blue," the fourth.
"Green," the fifth.
"Purple," the sixth.
And the seventh said "violet".

They were amazed at the differences. Because they were sure they saw it right, they almost got into a fight.

Then the teacher made them switch places several times and they kept seeing a different color. And very slowly it dawned on the students that despite the differences in their perceptions, they had all spoken the truth.

And the teacher said, "How you see the truth depends on your place in life. Just as you have just found a part of the light and took it for the full truth. Let your fellow pilgrims walk their own path of life in complete freedom, take their own place and perceive their own part of the light. You need each other's truths, for all together they form the real light, the full truth.

Until you have become one of the greats and can perceive the seven colors in one, you will be able to learn something with every 'discovery', with every 'rebirth', and with major changes in your life you will take a different view and the truth. see it in a different way.

Therefore, don't just be tolerant - because that's just tolerating a different opinion - but even be glad that there are other opinions.

As long as yourself cannot yet see the full light, you need fellow human beings to get to know the full truth.
(Hindu story)

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Was the explanation like the one in the spoiler?

Multicolored
A teacher once went for a morning walk with seven students, while the dew was still over the land. After some time the sun broke through. The dew drops sparkled that was a sweet delight.

The teacher halted at a large drop of dew. He gathered the disciples around the drop so that the sun kept shining on it, then asked:
"What color is the drop?"
"Red," said the first.
"Orange," the second.
"Yellow," the third.
"Blue," the fourth.
"Green," the fifth.
"Purple," the sixth.
And the seventh said "violet".

They were amazed at the differences. Because they were sure they saw it right, they almost got into a fight.

Then the teacher made them switch places several times and they kept seeing a different color. And very slowly it dawned on the students that despite the differences in their perceptions, they had all spoken the truth.

And the teacher said, "How you see the truth depends on your place in life. Just as you have just found a part of the light and took it for the full truth. Let your fellow pilgrims walk their own path of life in complete freedom, take their own place and perceive their own part of the light. You need each other's truths, for all together they form the real light, the full truth.

Until you have become one of the greats and can perceive the seven colors in one, you will be able to learn something with every 'discovery', with every 'rebirth', and with major changes in your life you will take a different view and the truth. see it in a different way.

Therefore, don't just be tolerant - because that's just tolerating a different opinion - but even be glad that there are other opinions.

As long as yourself cannot yet see the full light, you need fellow human beings to get to know the full truth.
(Hindu story)
It was nothing so well planned out. In both cases I commented politely to friends that only one religion could be true. One person disagreed, and I don't remember what they said precisely. Later on a different friend tried to use a diamond as an example. They probably wanted to say something like that.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
It was nothing so well planned out. In both cases I commented politely to friends that only one religion could be true. One person disagreed, and I don't remember what they said precisely. Later on a different friend tried to use a diamond as an example. They probably wanted to say something like that.
I found the story on a website of a Christian Baptist Church. I like the story.

Roguish

At least if we're happy where we're at I guess that's all that matters but it's just funny to think about. Dang.....

I already told you this in the other thread, but it bears repeating: happiness is neither the goal of religion (or "spiritual pursuits" if you prefer that term), nor a yardstick of progress made along the True Path. The goal is Salvation, the yardstick is

It's kind of a drag to think about how some of us have it all wrong regarding the truth of life's mysteries.

Anyone who intentionally chooses his own truth, path, religion, vision, has it wrong, because he's used his intention (a mistake) to adopt views and methods that please him (another mistake). The True Path isn't chosen by pilgirms; it chooses its pilgrims. Which shows why those who are (being) saved are traditionally known as the Chosen, not as the Choosers.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Not really. Whatever I say you're not gonna buy it because you're gone by the definition

You're wrong. Many people, including myself, are more than capable of following someone else's line of thinking if it is actually explained to them. But it seems you'd rather waste my time and yours with this nonsense rather than actually help someone understand where you are coming from (which is my goal, by the way - to understand where you're coming from, not to a).