• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I going mad?

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Greetings fellow earthlings!

I was not sure JUST where to stick this thread so am open to suggestions :)

Anyways, I was just browsing and found this article at a site called "Am I going mad: The Unsettling Phenomena of Spiritual Evolution"

Apparently it is the name of a book but plenty of free stuff at their site.

Okay, here's a taste -

In deeply spiritual societies such as the Australian Aboriginal culture, having mystical experiences is considered a normal part of life. It’s known as ‘entering the DREAMTIME’. In other cultures, prophets are revered for their REVELATIONS. Shamans are chosen for their VISIONS. Mystics seek ENLIGHTENMENT and religious texts revolve around ILLUMINATIONS.

Yet, in our society, such experiences are usually considered pathological and labelled HALLUCINATIONS.

So, Dreamtime, revelations, visions, illuminations, enlightenment or hallucinations – what are we experiencing when our consciousness expands into new realms?

Read more -

Enlightenment Explained

Enjoy your day!

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

Anyways, I was just browsing and found this article at a site called "Am I going mad: The Unsettling Phenomena of Spiritual Evolution"

Okay, here's a taste -

In deeply spiritual societies such as the Australian Aboriginal culture, having mystical experiences is considered a normal part of life. It’s known as ‘entering the DREAMTIME’. In other cultures, prophets are revered for their REVELATIONS. Shamans are chosen for their VISIONS. Mystics seek ENLIGHTENMENT and religious texts revolve around ILLUMINATIONS.

Yet, in our society, such experiences are usually considered pathological and labelled HALLUCINATIONS.

So, Dreamtime, revelations, visions, illuminations, enlightenment or hallucinations – what are we experiencing when our consciousness expands into new realms?

Read more -

Enlightenment Explained

Enjoy your day!

If you experience it, it is real, it matters not whether others understand it or experience it also.

Are you depressed or do you just have a dark sense of humor?

I did what you are not supposed to do: I had a serious intellectual and objective consideration of the value of living vs. the value of dying. And I am hardly the only one. . .

What do you think the famous phrase by Shakespeare, "To be or not to be" is about?

To be, or not to be, that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles
And by opposing end them. To die—to sleep,
No more; and by a sleep to say we end
The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
That flesh is heir to: 'tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wish'd

[...]

For in that sleep of death what dreams may come,
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
Must give us pause—there's the respect
That makes calamity of so long life.
For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,
Th'oppressor's wrong, the proud man's contumely,
The pangs of dispriz'd love, the law's delay,
The insolence of office, and the spurns
That patient merit of th'unworthy takes,
When he himself might his quietus make
With a bare bodkin?

[...]

Thus conscience does make cowards of us all,
And thus the native hue of resolution
Is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought,

And enterprises of great pitch and moment
With this regard their currents turn awry
And lose the name of action.

Gargovic Malkav

I did what you are not supposed to do: I had a serious intellectual and objective consideration of the value of living vs. the value of dying. And I am hardly the only one. . .

What do you think the famous phrase by Shakespeare, "To be or not to be" is about?

That's a roundabout way to say that I don't get it. I used to think about life and death in a similar way, but I'm over it. I was just wondering if you are depressed and see if I or one of the other members could help. But your answer seems to insinuate that it's none of my business.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Usually people who are insensitive and not have any mystical experience AND belittle are just jealous (common human vice)

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

Okay, here's a taste -

Read more -

Enlightenment Explained

Enjoy your day!
freak out

We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

Albert Einstein

the human spirit, the mind, is a resilient thing

an open mind, is like an open door, full of potential.

and to be light hearted is nataraja

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
In my view, all humans are born crazy and remain so for the rest of their life. If you really think about it, only the insane would put up with life.
I don't know what you mean by 'put up with,' unless you think everyone who does not commit suicide is crazy. Life is difficult, at best. Some practices can make it more difficult. But there are some enjoyable things.

YoursTrue

Usually people who are insensitive and not have any mystical experience AND belittle are just jealous (common human vice)
I was just listening to an interview with one of the prime motivators of the psychedelic movement in the 60's I believe, he and another associate wrote books and did research on mind bending drugs. I had tears in my eyes thinking how they ruined so many lives. But still encouraged taking psychedelic drugs to explore the mind. Sad. In my opinion of course.

YoursTrue

That is according to that author. Every one has his/her own views about enlightenment. It will be a waste of time going through what some other person believes.
Then we'd be deaf. But maybe that's why some people go into caves by themselves for the rest of their lives. Except they'd still have to interact with the elements.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I was just listening to an interview with one of the prime motivators of the psychedelic movement in the 60's I believe, he and another associate wrote books and did research on mind bending drugs. I had tears in my eyes thinking how they ruined so many lives. But still encouraged taking psychedelic drugs to explore the mind. Sad. In my opinion of course.
Mystical experiences have nothing to do with drugs. And do you know the mind bending effects of all the drugs from Big Pharma people just swallow, and all the chemicals that are put in our food? All the genetic manipulation done in name of public health and safety. That is more to worry.

Most people are addicted to sex, and ruining many lives with it, all in name of love. That's sad.

Most devastating drug is people belittling others though. That ruins the world.

Last edited:

YoursTrue

Mystical experiences have nothing to do with drugs. And do you know the mind bending effects of all the drugs from Big Pharma people just swallow, and all the chemicals that are put in our food? All the genetic manipulation done in name of public health and safety. That is more to worry.

Most people are addicted to sex, and ruining many lives with it, all in name of love. That's sad.

Most devastating drug is people belittling others though. That ruins the world.
Not saying no but expanding one's mind with drugs imo is not the way to go. You're right about those things. Some people use drugs of the mushroom kind to so called expand their minds. I can enjoy seeing things without drugs.