• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I Buddhist? Maybe Taoist?

agorman

Premium Member
Hi, I've been investigating religions for more than 10 years; building one altar after another, worshipping one pantheon after another... and now I've finally come to a point where I want to worship myself. Well, "worship" maybe isn't the best word; but I intend to use either the capacities of my own self or impersonal energies like the elements, the Moon, the planets, etc. to improve my life, become more wise and in the afterlife, go to a nice place to have a dynamic well being forever (escape reincarnation but, no annihilation and no state of pure consciousness for me; just good company, pleasure and fun) and reach illumination, which, again, would just increase my dynamic well being. I hope I've explained my intentions well enough.

It's not that I've stopped believing in a Creator Being that built this Matrix/Maya or that I've become "satanic" (an adversary of the Demiurge), but I'd like to become independent from Him. I want to look inside instead of looking to Heaven.

Do you think that by trying to create my own path based on what I've learned so far I am reinventing the wheel? Am I some kind of Buddhist or Taoist by wanting to deal with life by waking my true self up, instead of waiting for the help of an external deity? I'm just tired of being a devotee. It's not natural in me. Thank you.

agorman

Premium Member
Whats causing you to ask?

Because maybe I don't know enough yet about some non-devotional religion and maybe the practices that I want to perform and my goals, are already the same as in some already existing school or religion. As I said before, I want to check with someone more knowledgeable than I if I'm reinventing the wheel.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Because maybe I don't know enough yet about some non-devotional religion and maybe the practices that I want to perform and my goals, are already the same as in some already existing school or religion. As I said before, I want to check with someone more knowledgeable than I if I'm reinventing the wheel.

Too much baggage for effective Buddhism. Nothing wrong with reinventing the wheel and see how things roll. Buddhism is a bit like that.