• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I bad for Church Hopping?

When I started searching into Christianity, I started by looking for some friendly churches nearby. When I found them, I gave most of them a look and it was awesome. But now I have a question. My Catholic grandma told me she didn't like how I was church hopping, and I'm wondering if church hopping makes me a bad person? I was only trying to find the right place for me. I can't see why it is such a bad thing.

CogentPhilosopher

Philosophy Student
When I started searching into Christianity, I started by looking for some friendly churches nearby. When I found them, I gave most of them a look and it was awesome. But now I have a question. My Catholic grandma told me she didn't like how I was church hopping, and I'm wondering if church hopping makes me a bad person? I was only trying to find the right place for me. I can't see why it is such a bad thing.

It's not bad.

Especially if you want to avoid Church drama.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

It depends on your motive for 'church shopping' (hopping). It sounds like your shopping for friendly churches that claim to offer the comfy shoes that fit. An honest assessment of the reason why people believe what they do is more the search or keep the beliefs they inherit for a 'sense of community.'

Will they ever learn?

Finely hewn hardest darkest of woods,
Marble and granite finest columns and truss,
Holy hopes of past glory
Incense mask, ashes and dust

Will they ever learn?

Ancient halls grand and vast,
Ring hollow and cold past glories
Echo in fine stone and glass
over musty ashes and dust.

Will they ever learn?

Illusions of saints, heroes, gargoyles’ and demons,
In spires reaching for heaven, fearing hell
in cracks green and gray
only bats and pigeons dwell

Will they ever learn?

What could they be?
Museums or galleries
Of use to all, thee and me,
or subdivided for the homies

Will they ever learn?

Ashes on the forehead and nose
and the fate of all in the ground
Ring around the rosey pocket full of posies
Ashes! Ashes! All fall down

Will they ever learn?

Not too hot nor too cold
Soft and warm is a cozy fete.
When mediocrity reigns,
No one gets wet.

Will they ever learn?

Nice and polite, comfort and graces.
Of course. every one may choose their own,
Comfort chooses the past dust and ashes
and claim the only truth their own .

Will they ever learn?

Pick and choose the shoes that fit.
What pleases thee may not please me.
Worn paths of dust and ashes these shoes take.
The shoes of comfort are not the fit for thee nor me.

Will they ever learn?

From age to age,
the past can never be again
Again and again, calls to awaken,
bells peal and echo the past no change again.

Will they ever learn?

. . . that impermanence reigns.

Where shall we go?
What shall we fete?
Take off your hat and shoes
walk in the rain and get wet.

Frank A. Doonan

4consideration

Premium Member
It does not make you a bad person.

If you are looking for something, and haven't found what you are looking for, it is ok to keep looking.

(Just one thing to consider, and I'm saying this because of my own experience with a sister that tried out several different Christian denominations years ago. Love her, but during that time she drove a lot of us crazy, because she'd get involved in a church and then get fearful about the people she loved possibly going to hell -- so she'd try to shove her new version down everyone's throats. It was her applying her new beliefs and fears to us that was very unpleasant.

If you are applying your beliefs to other people, and telling them their beliefs are wrong, and they should believe the way you're believing this month -- that might by something to consider not doing. If it's possible she's objecting to something like that, she could have a point.)

Otherwise, maybe grandma would understand if you told her you thought God would want you to seek out the truth, and that you're trying to do that -- or whatever, is so for you.

Daisies4me

(quote)
Hi SfG,
depends on what you are looking for. "friendly" , or filling a spiritual need?
A 'social club', or Bible instruction? They aren't one and the same....

Wanting to 'be seen', or there to learn, are very different reasons that some people go to 'churches' . To impress someone, or to try to scope out someone, not good reasons, either. But many do it.
Think of some reasons why you are 'Church hopping', and determine your reasoning, and go from there, is a start...

Lorgar-Aurelian

Just because grandma says she doesn't like it doesn't make it bad. Knowing some folks she might not like it until you choose her church. Just go wherever feels right.

I would also like to point out ( and forgive me if this was already addressed I only skimmed the thread) if you have a problem with Islam disliking transgendered people and the LGBTQ community I don't honestly think Christianity is much better. More tolerant but the scriptures still aren't exactly okay with gays, bisexuals ect.

Daisies4me

Just because grandma says she doesn't like it doesn't make it bad. Knowing some folks she might not like it until you choose her church. Just go wherever feels right.

I would also like to point out ( and forgive me if this was already addressed I only skimmed the thread) if you have a problem with Islam disliking transgendered people and the LGBTQ community I don't honestly think Christianity is much better. More tolerant but the scriptures still aren't exactly okay with gays, bisexuals ect.

(quote)

neither is the Bible, actually. However "hate the sin, love the sinner" applies more often than not. Anyone who comes for a Bible discourse is welcomed, regardless of their social status, sexual persuasions, race, nationality, etc. .
Did not Paul say, when addressing the congregation, 'but that is what some of you were?"
Those who come for a sincere desire to learn about God and what the Bible teaches, should always be welcomed to attend meetings, if they do so in a peaceable respectful manner. Some used to be murders, and such, but the desire to learn from God has given them the desire to bring their lives in harmony with His Will, and be peaceable with all.
Not everyone chooses to do so, but no one is turned away for their current beliefs, as long as they don't try to interrupt the meetings, or create divisions among those who are in attendance . Each person gets to make an educated choice as to whom they will serve, and obey. Can't chastise a person who is searching for answers before they have had time to consider other viewpoints on the matter,

whirlingmerc

It depends on the reasons for hopping... there is allot to gain by planting and staying put... but if a place is not preaching the gospel I would not stay

9Marks has a list of criteria for a healthy church

Ricktheheretic

"Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law"
I grew Methodist but we never believed all their beliefs. I knew my mom studied with Jehovah's Witnesses at some point and didn't believe the trinity. I knew that my aunt Sandy attended Spiritualist services and believed in communication with the hereafter(something the Bible says is wrong Deut.18:10-11). Ask what the local parish teaches, is it the gospel? Is it truth? If there is just one right religion then why are there so many religions? BTW Roman Catholicism came about from old church councils that where aimed at destroying opposing beliefs. Ever heard of Arius? He was an early anti-Trinitarian, he saw Jesus as a separate being from God like the Platonic logos(word) that emanated from God. I know that Catholicism has cleaned up it's act a lot, but thousands died in the Spanish inquisition for not believing the Catholic dogma. There's a reason to follow your own conscience. People laughed at Copernicus, but he was right about the sun. People laughed at Louis Pasture but he was right about penicillin.

Shem Ben Noah

INACTIVE

I was raised Catholic, so I understand her POV. In that view, there should be only ONE church.

But, one size does not fit all, and I won't even get into all the evil that the RC has done....

No, church hopping is good and normal. None of them are perfect.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic

Church-hopping does not make you a bad person. It's like ordering from a menu - just because you don't pick the very first thing on the menu to eat doesn't mean you're bad or difficult - it just means the first thing isn't for you. Would your grandma be so quick to judge if the first church you walked into was a WBC one?

Just look for something you feel comfortable with - if you don't find any church that makes you feel comfortable then you could try becoming non-denominational.

Daisies4me

I grew Methodist but we never believed all their beliefs. I knew my mom studied with Jehovah's Witnesses at some point and didn't believe the trinity. I knew that my aunt Sandy attended Spiritualist services and believed in communication with the hereafter(something the Bible says is wrong Deut.18:10-11). Ask what the local parish teaches, is it the gospel? Is it truth? If there is just one right religion then why are there so many religions? BTW Roman Catholicism came about from old church councils that where aimed at destroying opposing beliefs. Ever heard of Arius? He was an early anti-Trinitarian, he saw Jesus as a separate being from God like the Platonic logos(quote)(word) that emanated from God. I know that Catholicism has cleaned up it's act a lot, but thousands died in the Spanish inquisition for not believing the Catholic dogma. There's a reason to follow your own conscience. People laughed at Copernicus, but he was right about the sun. People laughed at Louis Pasture but he was right about penicillin.

(quote)
Hi Rick
I appreciate all that you have shared here. It says what many people have thought at one time, (including me), or are thinking now about the churches. Religion is supposed to be a force for unity. All too often, however, it has been a source of conflict and distrust.
A couple of scriptures that show us from way back in Bible times, the reasons why some people hostile toward religion: Matthew 23:27 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because you resemble whitewashed graves, which outwardly indeed appear beautiful but inside are full of dead men’s bones and of every sort of uncleanness. 28 In the same way, on the outside you appear righteous to men, but inside you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness.
or, John 15:19 If you were part of the world, the world would be fond of what is its own. Now because you are no part of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, for this reason the world hates you.
Mark 17:
6 He said to them: “Isaiah aptly prophesied about you hypocrites, as it is written, ‘This people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far removed from me. 7 It is in vain that they keep worshipping me, for they teach commands of men as doctrines.’ 8 You let go of the commandment of God and cling to the tradition of men.”
----

Don't we see the same issues today? Matthew 27:15 “Be on the watch for the false prophets who come to you in sheep’s covering, but inside they are ravenous wolves. 16 By their fruits you will recognize them. Never do people gather grapes from thorns or figs from thistles, do they? 17 Likewise, every good tree produces fine fruit, but every rotten tree produces worthless fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear worthless fruit, nor can a rotten tree produce fine fruit. 19 Every tree not producing fine fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Really, then, by their fruits you will recognize those men.
After turning away from religion because of things mentioned above and more, (not against God, but against religion) after a time, I found and came to understand John 8:32, which reads: ‘You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.’”
Not an easy choice however, as when a person starts to study the Bible with JW's, most of the time, everyone turns on them, ridicules them, and makes it a real effort to continue the study, as family members, 'friends', workmates, etc. will all turn on you! So peer pressure can make it hard to try to 'do the right thing', which is one reason why many don't continue in their study of the Bible with JW's. It is definitely not a popular thing to do , as the priests, preachers, reverends, etc, ALL will try to stop a person from their study, for the same reason the Pharisees instigated the death of Jesus. He was exposing their false teachings.
Why so many religions is a very valid question. The Bible teaches that Christians “should all speak in agreement.” (1 Corinthians 1:10) However, many Christian denominations disagree on teachings as basic as what it means to be a Christian. Such denominations cannot all be right. 1 Peter 2:21 tells us very simply what a Christian is.

Most religions teach that a person should not lie or steal, etc., but is that sufficient? I doubt that anyone would want to drink a glass of poisoned water because someone tells them that MOST of what you are getting is water! And yet, in essence, that is what most religions do. Feed you some 'water', but the poison has to go with it. IMO.
Matthew 7:15 “Be on the watch for the false prophets who come to you in sheep’s covering, but inside they are ravenous wolves.
Some people would be misled by religious leaders who corrupt true worship to further their own interests, just as Jesus said.
However, other people would actually prefer imitation Christianity because it would tell them what they want to hear rather than the truth from the Bible. They like 'having their ears tickled'---2 Timothy 4:3, 4. Can we say Joel Osteen, et.al,? "feel good" "prosperity gospel"?
Is it any wonder that many people simply turn away from All religion?

arthra

Baha'i

If your community has an Inter-faith Council I'd encourage you to visit it and see how the wider religious community deals with issues... It could save you a lot of time...

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
truth in a church. It's as bad as politics.

truth is rarely ever heard. where would one ever find it. it is a needle in a haystack.

they enjoy power falsely attained and judgment blindly administered.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
IMO, if you're just attending a church in order to decide if it's right for you, then there's no problem at all with checking out different churches. I can only see a few issues:

- if the churches you're "hopping" between have radically different teachings and you're ready to accept any of them, you might not have put as much thought as you could about those teachings and whether you can accept them.

- if you're actually joining these churches as a member and then leaving, then you're likely joining before you're really ready to make that sort of commitment.

Daisies4me

truth in a church. It's as bad as politics.

truth is rarely ever heard. where would one ever find it. it is a needle in a haystack.

they enjoy power falsely attained and judgment blindly administered.
(quote)
HI Osgart
Sadly, many do fit your description. There are more 'fake' religious MISleaders out there than there are ones who talk the talk and walk the walk. However, there are some who do not adhere to the power trips and the prosperity feel good doctrines. keep searching. Ask the God of the heavens to guide you and show you the True faith, and those who , though imperfect, are putting forth effort to adhere to Bible principles in their lives 24:7, and are not 'Sunday Christians'.
"keep seeking" and you will find...

Happy trails...