• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I a ''christian''?

Am I a ''Christian''?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
It's okay to question others I guess, but what others think...how we all may answer the OP question, shouldn't matter. What matters is what you think. You could ask 25 people who identify as Christians, if you are a Christian, and you might get 25 different answers. The trouble with the question is...if you go out seeking it from us, you will never find the answer. If you ask God, then you will find the answer. Hope that helps better explain where I was coming from. :)

I'm asking people whether they consider me a ''Christian'', regardless of the connotation they or myself, may have with that label. The question is asking other peoples opinions, that's the whole point.

Last edited:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
It's okay to question others I guess, but what others think...how we all may answer the OP question, shouldn't matter.

That's subjective, and not every answer to a question such as the one posed in the OP is completely topic specific. Ie, we are also essentially stating opinions as to what ''Christian'' means, etc. This is relevant to Christology and Abrahamic topics, in general.

Deidre

That's subjective, and not every answer to a question such as the one posed in the OP is completely topic specific. Ie, we are also essentially stating opinions as to what ''Christian'' means, etc. This is relevant to Christology and Abrahamic topics, in general.

Do you believe that you are a Christian?

lostwanderingsoul

I know n one wants to believe the Bible but the Bible says a Christian is one in whom God's spirit lives. And the way to get God's spirit is to repent of your sins and be baptized. You can debate it all you want but if you do not believe the Bible then you might as well just start your own religion and make your own rules.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I know n one wants to believe the Bible but the Bible says a Christian is one in whom God's spirit lives. And the way to get God's spirit is to repent of your sins and be baptized. You can debate it all you want but if you do not believe the Bible then you might as well just start your own religion and make your own rules.

A lot of self identified 'Christians', already do that, as I'm sure you've noticed from reading the forums. The question is, how interpretive is the Scripture? And, another question is, /because it's always relevant in these debates, is, does a Xian have to subscribe to the entire Bible? Many (self labeled) Xians don't.

that being said, I 'tend' to agree with you, but there are a couple of issues here.
/Infant baptism is hardly someone making the decision to come to Christ
/Baptism by Jesus isn't ''technically'', Johanan's baptism, so this church baptism is really mostly symbolic, with some sin remission as a possible side affect.

lostwanderingsoul

A lot of things that churches do are completely opposite to what Jesus taught. Of course no child can repent and so infant baptism is an invention of the church. Jesus said no one goes to Heaven but churches are constantly telling people they will go to Heaven if they do certain things. Jesus said to keep the ten commandments but most churches say the commandments are done away. If Jesus came back today He would probably do like He did with the money changers in the temple and throw everybody out.

Jumi

I don't think you're a Christian, but you still find some meaning in the religion.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I kinda think that answers your question right there, honestly. I mean think about it.

A Christian (of all denominations I know of) believes:

In one God. The Father who created everything. (How people interpret how he made things from evolution to creating from dust depends on the Christian)

:herb:In one Lord Jesus Christ. The Father's Son

Do you believe the Father has a Son regardless of how you interpret his nature?)

:herb:God from God; Light from Light; True God fromTrue God.

:herb:Begotten not made

Do you believe Christ was born from God rather than created God--which is an very odd statement, I'm sure.

:herb:consubstatial with the Father; through all him things are made.

If God Created everything, then through him all things are made. Do you believe that?.

:herb:For us men and for our salvation he came from the heavens

Do you believe in salvation? That's the core of the Christian faith, actually. Some people believe it more literal others more mystical.) The belief is the same. What about yours?

:herb:He came from heaven

If he is god's son, where else would he come from; do you believe this? How do you define heaven?

:herb:By the Power of the Holy Spirit he was born of the Virgin Mary and become man.

Many people have multiple interpretations on this. Just because your intepretation doesn't match others doesn't make you less of a Christian

I'd interpret it as the Virgin Mary gave birth to a human by the Holy Spirit (rather than Joseph). That human was blessed by the Father and became His Son who shares int he same divinity as the Father. Everyone is different. What about you?

:herb:For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate; he suffered death and was burried. On the third day he rose again in fulfillment of the scriptures. He ascended into heaven and sits at the right hand of the Father.

This is another core of the Christian faith. If you don't believe Christ lived for you to share his teachings, died for you to take away your sins, resurrected to show you too will have life, and he sits (whether literally or not) at the right hand of the father meaning his father and son are side by side, then I would not say you are Chrsitian AND you are the only one who can determine that.

:herb:He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead and his kingdom will have no end.

There are many intepretations from literal to metaphorical. That doesn't make you less Christian than another if you don't share another person's interpretation on judgement)

:herb:The rest of the creed applies to the Catholic Church.

However, in my opinion, to be Christian one must believe in the full passion: Jesus life, death, and resurrection. He must believe in salvation. He must believe in Christ's father.

From what I gathered from all these Christians' beliefs, you dont need to believe Jesus is God. You can say he has God's divinity. You can say he is gods literal son. You don't have to believe he is perfect. A human sent from god can do the same thing a god with human clothing. You dont have to believe in the literal heaven. Many people believe heaven is a peaceful state of mind. Others believe it's a union with god not a place. Even hell is seen different. Christianity is an eastern faith. So, hell can be seen the mind and so forth wrapped up in sin not fire nad burning lava which is earthly not spiritual. You don't have to believe the Bible is god himself (as many think it is). You can get the same information from god by talking to god himself rather than depending on a book others wrote about him.

:herb:The only one who can tell you you are a Christian is you. The nicene creed (excluding the bottom half) is the basics of the Christian faith. Ask God to interpret it for you. Read the Bible if you like.

Your relationship will be different than another person's. That doesn't make you less Christian just another follower in Christ.
That creed is actually pretty specific. Also, ''follower in Christ'', is a subjective sentence.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
You said "follower of christ is a subjective sentense". Does that you are not a follower of christ? You are?

Im refering to the creed right before the catholicism part
I think that the wording is vague, because of that, that's why I don't accept that creed. If the definition is more literal, then no, I certainly don't accept those precepts. I think however that this is also a factor of the Creed being written in perhaps a very formal fashion, and may not reflect literally, the theological implications that it seems to.

Is it not a subjective sentence? You seem to be defining 'follower of Christ', by what appears to be a subjective sentence. You haven't presented an explanation of whether that idea is subjective, or not. If you are saying it is defined by that creed, or that in this context, would I call myself a ''follower of Christ'', according to that creed, then, no, as a don't accept that creed in the first place. I think you may be getting a bit caught up in this creed thing, btw.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I think that the wording is vague, because of that, that's why I don't accept that creed. If the definition is more literal, then no, I certainly don't accept those precepts. I think however that this is also a factor of the Creed being written in perhaps a very formal fashion, and may not reflect literally, the theological implications that it seems to.

Is it not a subjective sentence? You seem to be defining 'follower of Christ', by what appears to be a subjective sentence. You haven't presented an explanation of whether that idea is subjective, or not. If you are saying it is defined by that creed, or that in this context, would I call myself a ''follower of Christ'', according to that creed, then, no, as a don't accept that creed in the first place. I think you may be getting a bit caught up in this creed thing, btw.

The former, thank you. I understand.

The latter, how I view Christianity is through the Church (Roman, Othorodox, and few in between). So, Id see the basics of the creed (regardless of how the Christian interprests it-literal, subjective) as the basis of christian faith.

--

However, I just thought that would help. If so, cool. If not, threaded it outside DIR?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
The former, thank you. I understand.

The latter, how I view Christianity is through the Church (Roman, Othorodox, and few in between). So, Id see the basics of the creed (regardless of how the Christian interprests it-literal, subjective) as the basis of christian faith.

--

However, I just thought that would help. If so, cool. If not, threaded it outside DIR?
Okay.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Do you have a definition for that?

Do you think Matthew 16:24 could be a definition of Christian ?________
Jesus believed Scripture to be religious truth or religious facts - John 17:17
That is why Jesus based his beliefs on the Scriptures.
Like Jesus - Luke 4:43 - Christians would demonstrate their faith by doing spiritual works:
- Romans 10:10; Matthew 24:14; Matthew 28:18-20; Acts of the Apostles 1:8; James 2:16,26.
Christians would be moral - Acts of the Apostles 15:29; 1 Corinthians 6:9-11 A
Christians would follow Jesus "New" commandment recorded at John 13:34-35 to have self-sacrificing love for others as Jesus did.