• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I a ''christian''?

Am I a ''Christian''?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jedster

From out short chat , I thought you may be a Gnostic...I didn't think Christian or anything else.

Parsimony

I was confused about that myself. Didn't you have atheism written as your religion not too long ago? The most general definition of Christian I can think of would be a follower of Christ.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I was confused about that myself. Didn't you have atheism written as your religion not too long ago? The most general definition of Christian I can think of would be a follower of Christ.

Yes, but that was atheism 'as' a religion, it isn't the same as the people who have atheist listed next to their religion, and isn't like 'normal' atheism. I'm a theist, though, that was more of an experiment in definition, etc.

Jumi

If my memory serves, you think baptism is something special, believe Jesus and God. I think you're a Christian though you don't like going into specifics. Do you accept the Nicene Creed?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
If my memory serves, you think baptism is something special, believe Jesus and God. I think you're a Christian though you don't like going into specifics. Do you accept the Nicene Creed?
I'm not baptized. No, I don't ''accept'' that creed.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I'm not baptized. No, I don't ''accept'' that creed.

I kinda think that answers your question right there, honestly. I mean think about it.

A Christian (of all denominations I know of) believes:

In one God. The Father who created everything. (How people interpret how he made things from evolution to creating from dust depends on the Christian)

:herb:In one Lord Jesus Christ. The Father's Son

Do you believe the Father has a Son regardless of how you interpret his nature?)

:herb:God from God; Light from Light; True God fromTrue God.

:herb:Begotten not made

Do you believe Christ was born from God rather than created God--which is an very odd statement, I'm sure.

:herb:consubstatial with the Father; through all him things are made.

If God Created everything, then through him all things are made. Do you believe that?.

:herb:For us men and for our salvation he came from the heavens

Do you believe in salvation? That's the core of the Christian faith, actually. Some people believe it more literal others more mystical.) The belief is the same. What about yours?

:herb:He came from heaven

If he is god's son, where else would he come from; do you believe this? How do you define heaven?

:herb:By the Power of the Holy Spirit he was born of the Virgin Mary and become man.

Many people have multiple interpretations on this. Just because your intepretation doesn't match others doesn't make you less of a Christian

I'd interpret it as the Virgin Mary gave birth to a human by the Holy Spirit (rather than Joseph). That human was blessed by the Father and became His Son who shares int he same divinity as the Father. Everyone is different. What about you?

:herb:For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate; he suffered death and was burried. On the third day he rose again in fulfillment of the scriptures. He ascended into heaven and sits at the right hand of the Father.

This is another core of the Christian faith. If you don't believe Christ lived for you to share his teachings, died for you to take away your sins, resurrected to show you too will have life, and he sits (whether literally or not) at the right hand of the father meaning his father and son are side by side, then I would not say you are Chrsitian AND you are the only one who can determine that.

:herb:He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead and his kingdom will have no end.

There are many intepretations from literal to metaphorical. That doesn't make you less Christian than another if you don't share another person's interpretation on judgement)

:herb:The rest of the creed applies to the Catholic Church.

However, in my opinion, to be Christian one must believe in the full passion: Jesus life, death, and resurrection. He must believe in salvation. He must believe in Christ's father.

From what I gathered from all these Christians' beliefs, you dont need to believe Jesus is God. You can say he has God's divinity. You can say he is gods literal son. You don't have to believe he is perfect. A human sent from god can do the same thing a god with human clothing. You dont have to believe in the literal heaven. Many people believe heaven is a peaceful state of mind. Others believe it's a union with god not a place. Even hell is seen different. Christianity is an eastern faith. So, hell can be seen the mind and so forth wrapped up in sin not fire nad burning lava which is earthly not spiritual. You don't have to believe the Bible is god himself (as many think it is). You can get the same information from god by talking to god himself rather than depending on a book others wrote about him.

:herb:The only one who can tell you you are a Christian is you. The nicene creed (excluding the bottom half) is the basics of the Christian faith. Ask God to interpret it for you. Read the Bible if you like.

Your relationship will be different than another person's. That doesn't make you less Christian just another follower in Christ.

Last edited:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I thought you said someone was a Christian because they were baptized?
That's up for debate. I personally don't think that baptism is 'necessary', for one to be a Xian, however, there is a correlation between being a Xian, and Baptism. If one joined a church, I think it would be a tad odd to refuse the Baptism, etc. /So, the answer to whether baptism is 'necessary', could be situational or contextual.

Last edited:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I thought you said someone was a Christian because they were baptized?

According to some churches, you would infer that, because that is the church position. Of course, I would assume that people who leave their faiths would simply think that their baptism is anulled'; however, if they think that, then wouldn't they believe that they need 'another baptism'', upon re-entering their faith?

That idea was presented in the context of someone returning to their faith.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
For those who read my comments on the forums, do you think that I am a Christian?

This idea is from another thread.
..The OP

We can't define that for you, q. Only you can. :sunflower:
Your answer

Oh I thought you were asking people here if you are a Christian.
It is unclear what you are actually meaning by your comments. Do you mean that you cannot have an idea about whether someone is a Christian, or not, or do you mean, that the OP is asking others to define whether they are a Xian, or not? Or something else?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I think you believe in the Abrahamic concept of God but aren't a part of any specific religion.

Some people might call that ''Christian'', I'm not sure. Since I don't believe in the baptism or creeds, etc., then I am probably not technically a Xian, I would agree.

/My other beliefs may or may not be compatible with ''Christianity'', some would think they are, like 'very liberal Xianity, others wouldn't.

Deidre

..The OP

Your answer

It is unclear what you are actually meaning by your comments. Do you mean that you cannot have an idea about whether someone is a Christian, or not, or do you mean, that the OP is asking others to define whether they are a Xian, or not? Or something else?

It's okay to question others I guess, but what others think...how we all may answer the OP question, shouldn't matter. What matters is what you think. You could ask 25 people who identify as Christians, if you are a Christian, and you might get 25 different answers. The trouble with the question is...if you go out seeking it from us, you will never find the answer. If you ask God, then you will find the answer. Hope that helps better explain where I was coming from. :)