• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

alternatives to UU?

Riders

My church may have to move in the next few months. Tax laws will make them but they wont close theyll be moving. But Im considering an alternative to UU.Maybe Unity church. Ive always liked them. But I may just choose another UU church.

Unity is like Christianity new age and UU to together, but Ive heard good things about Unity from 1 UU friend and heard bad things about it by couple of other UU friends. They said they teach from the bible because theyre Christians but the truth is they teach Jesus is NOT God. If you teach Jesus is not God but the prophet and follow the commands with out Christian worshipping isnt Christianity They also teah a belief in the inner Jesus Christ self and are welcoming of folks from all religions.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
My church may have to move in the next few months. Tax laws will make them but they wont close theyll be moving. But Im considering an alternative to UU.Maybe Unity church. Ive always liked them. But I may just choose another UU church.

Unity is like Christianity new age and UU to together, but Ive heard good things about Unity from 1 UU friend and heard bad things about it by couple of other UU friends. They said they teach from the bible because theyre Christians but the truth is they teach Jesus is NOT God. If you teach Jesus is not God but the prophet and follow the commands with out Christian worshipping isnt Christianity They also teah a belief in the inner Jesus Christ self and are welcoming of folks from all religions.
Ever consider the Anglican/Episcopalian churches?

Riders

Its universal the needs to accept and be welcoming and tolerant to other religions.

It does seem like there are more Christians here then anything else. However yes I do know Ive been to a nice liberal lutheran church in Mesquite and a really nice UNited Methodist liberal church. I have had some Christians ask why not the liberal Christian church.Ive considered it. The United Methodist church is a liberal church that is a little bit universal. They told me you have to be Christian to join but after you join you can also visit or go regular to other churches like the UU church or whatever as well, so they can as Christians join in on other religious services as well. I told them Im not Christian could I please just come ad visit without pressure to become Christian and they said yes.

That might be something I might try, sense they are accepting of UU maybe it would be worth to visit and see . I liked theyre services well last time I went 2 years ago.

The problem with me going to another christian church is this. Some Christian churches will allow you to practice religions that dont require you to worship a God like Zen Meditation some wont. I want to make sure Im in a church if I change to Christianity that will allow me to do that, thats why I;m a member of an earthbased UU church, I am zen Buddhist fully believing I have taken the vow. so I will be going to either the Unity church or Buddhist group in north dallas to meditate. As A Zen Buddhist I am at 1 with nature mother earth.

Riders

But then again might choose both UU and the United Methodist I'm attached to UU I may visit another UU church I know about who is a member of cuups and celebrates the Pagan holidays I havnt ben there yet I may go visit this month still considering options here

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls

Have you considered the Quakers?

Riders

I'm thinking about that, it's an option. It is an interesting old historical group.I do know they're accepting of others religions so the freedom is there if I want to go to meditation group too.

They're Christian but not Christian I think several years ago when I asked about their church they said most people were liberal Christians but some can just be Jewish one God only and some believe in Christian but not the deity of Jesus.That would be where I would fall.

But I know they also listen to the still voice of god for an hour so its silent listening. Thats good it goes along with my Zen meditation I like the silence.

I don't know I might try to visit next week but I sent a letter to the clerk to find out about their stairs in front of the house the hard chairs they use for service to see if its suitable for me. So I'm waiting for the letter. But yea its especially sense its lay led like my church its definitely an option.

Rick O'Shez

I'm thinking about that, it's an option. It is an interesting old historical group.I do know they're accepting of others religions so the freedom is there if I want to go to meditation group too.
They're Christian but not Christian I think several years ago when I asked about their church they said most people were liberal Christians but some can just be Jewish one God only and some believe in Christian but not the deity of Jesus.That would be where I would fall.
But I know they also listen to the still voice of god for an hour so its silent listening. Thats good it goes along with my Zen meditation I like the silence.
I don't know I might try to visit next week but I sent a letter to the clerk to find out about their stairs in front of the house the hard chairs they use for service to see if its suitable for me. So I'm waiting for the letter. But yea its especially sense its lay led like my church its definitely an option.

Quakers are certainly worth checking out. I found them to be a caring and friendly bunch and quite easy-going, they didn't mind that I was a non-theist Buddhist. I mostly enjoyed the "silent worship", though in the end I got a bit fed up with the amount of ministry which went on, some of it seemed rather self-indulgent and not valuing the silence ( ministry is basically people saying stuff during silent worship - it's supposed to be divinely inspired but often wasn't from what I could tell ).

Riders

Sorry I never got back to you.I went to a Zen Buddhist circle which I liked better instead. I was able to be seated comfortable and had a man who did voice guided meditation.It was good Ill probably go back.

Rick O'Shez

Sorry I never got back to you.I went to a Zen Buddhist circle which I liked better instead. I was able to be seated comfortable and had a man who did voice guided meditation.It was good Ill probably go back.

Zen Buddhism is good!

HeatherAnn

But then again might choose both UU and the United Methodist I'm attached to UU I may visit another UU church I know about who is a member of cuups and celebrates the Pagan holidays I havnt ben there yet I may go visit this month still considering options here
Well, I occasionally go to Oasis. It's fairly new and sparse in the US - but growing. It's non-denominational - not even Christian. Some of the meetings have been about meditation, Buddhism, Islam (during a religious series).

Mr. SDB

I have a similar issue at hand, and it's a bit long-winded of a story.

I was raised in a Jewish household. And when I say Jewish, we were about as Jewish, as the Olive Garden is Italian. We celebrated all of two holidays, and that was about it. I wanted a Christmas tree. I wanted Easter. I wanted spirituality. But I didn't want a higher power forced down my throat, so I walked away from Judaism when I turned 18.

In 2007, my now ex-wife and I were married in a UU church here in NJ. I knew nothing about UUism, other than that it was "non-denominational", which appealed to me. A few weeks later, I decided to check out one of their sermons. I found it intriguing. I never became a member, but I lurked here and there. In 2012, I began going with more regularity, and in 2013, I became a member - not fully knowing what they were all about, but loving the spirituality.

Fast-forward to today. I'm 38. Relatively happy in life. And while I do celebrate Christmas and Easter, I'm still craving that spirituality. Unfortunately, my UU church has let me down. It's gone from a home of spirituality, to a house of extreme left-wing politics.

Here's my problem....

1: I'm Republican. I'm not a bible-thumping Republican, though. I believe in pro-choice, and LGBTQ rights. I also believe that I should be able to own a firearm, keep as much money in my pocket as humanly possible, and feel that the government needs to stop butting into our lives. I guess you could say that my political views corroborate with an Independent or Libertarian. However, since neither of those parties ever win elections, I vote Republican. For a religion that claims to be "Welcoming to everyone", I find it amazing that us Republicans need to be the silent minority, and keep our mouths shut - no matter how centered or right we are...lest we become ostracized from our spiritual community.

2: I hate lay-led sermons. When I first began attending my UU church, our minister would give sermons all throughout the year, except the one week that he'd go on vacation. As time went on, our congregants began asking to lead their own sermons, and from the end of June through the first week of September, the church goes completely lay-led. Which forces me to look for other UU churches to attend during those weeks, or causes me to skip church altogether. While I get that a lot of people love the lay-led sermons, I do not. I want my spirituality and guidance from a minister. I'm not interested in hearing "Joe the Butcher"'s views on the environment.

3: A lot of UU churches are starting to remove the "spirituality quotient" from their sermons, and are becoming more of a "social justice club" (especially now that President Trump is in office). This is not what I'm looking for. As a rule of thumb, I hate political discussions - regardless of what party is being discussed. I go to church for spirituality, harmony, and peace. If I wanted politics, I'd watch the news, or read the morning paper.

So, with that said...

Are there any other religions - one where I can gain some spirituality, inner peace, and harmony - without having politics shoved down my throat...where I won't be ostracized for being a Republican...and where I can actually get my sermon from a Minister or Reverend? Or should I just walk way from religion altogether? Because right now, I'm hurting for that spirituality that I'm no longer getting.