• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alternative Medicine

biased

Anyone had any experience with any forms of alternative medicine (Traditional Chinese Medicine, Acupuncture, "energy healing", etc.)? Did it work for you? Do you take any issue with it's generally speaking lack of peer-reviewed efficacy?

Ablaze

Buddham Saranam Gacchami
I've conducted laboratory research (controlled, double-blind, placebo vs. intervention studies) with Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), including Radix Panacis ginseng or ginseng root (人参 Rén Shēn), which is probably most widely known for its memory enhancing effects and various other health-positive cognitive effects (in TCM, it acts via the heart, lung, and kidney channels as a heat-clearing tonic) and Sclerotium Poriae cocos or the poria mushroom (茯苓 Fú Líng) which is traditionally used in treating memory problems, anxiety, and fluid retention (acting via the heart, spleen, lungs, and kidneys), among others. Although I have no personal experience taking alternative medicines (or any other medicines besides those given in standard vaccines, for that matter), I can definitely attest to its peer-reviewed efficacy from an empirical, scientific standpoint, having conducted laboratory research and extensive literature reviews on the neuropsychological impact of TCM at both the molecular, cellular level and in mental health/clinical settings. It is quite easy to find hundreds of peer-reviewed publications from highly esteemed scientific journals to support the efficacy of TCM.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Anyone had any experience with any forms of alternative medicine (Traditional Chinese Medicine, Acupuncture, "energy healing", etc.)? Did it work for you? Do you take any issue with it's generally speaking lack of peer-reviewed efficacy?

Experience, Yes I know many practitioners but no I do not practice.

Do I take issue with it- again Yes and No.

Naturally occurring chemicals are not patentable (although some drug companies have patented the refining processes for these). There are many valuable alternative medicines- but there are no miracle cures. So, If someone is peddling some natural ingredient be very, very skeptical of claims.

Reiki, acupuncture, and "energy work" (whether done with crystals, tones, etc) are all forms of massage and meditation. Massage and meditation have valid physiological effects. But it will not cure cancer. If selling their services be very, very skeptical of claims.

And since I am peddling my opinion, I should disclose that I am a very skeptical person.