• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alternative Definition of God

Yerda

Veteran Member
I found this to be interesting: An Alternative Definition of God

From the link:

God is the thing that is known in true mystical experiences (if there are any).

We can in turn define a “mystical experience” as follows:

A mystical experience is an experience which, for the person having it, seems to directly reveal something which is:

• unchanging and eternal
  • ineffable, i.e. its nature cannot be put into words
  • of great value, and such that the awareness of it is the supreme value of human life

Is this a sensible way of describing God? By that I mean, could we make headway on the subject if we hold this in mind?

I've seen a few ways of defining God that have some appeal but they are often so vague that I can't pin them down. Perhaps this is something we could grasp.

Thoughts? Criticisms?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

From the link:

A mystical experience is an experience which, for the person having it, seems to directly reveal something which is:

• unchanging and eternal
  • of great value, and such that the awareness of it is the supreme value of human life

Is this a sensible way of describing God? By that I mean, could we make headway on the subject if we hold this in mind?

I've seen a few ways of defining God that have some appeal but they are often so vague that I can't pin them down. Perhaps this is something we could grasp.

Thoughts? Criticisms?

I can describe god beyond mystical experiences. While words like spirit, mystery mystical, divine, gnostic, and so forth are nice words they are still vague in regards to what people actually and literally experience as a whole. It's a combination of sorts that either can't be described or people feel it's to personal to describe it.

I never say the reason why god is very secretive in experience but then with other things we hold dear it's easier to talk with to those we trust and love. I think mystical experiences and god get highly overplayed.

But explaining god in earthly terms seems to belittle ones experience so mystical can do.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

From the link:

• unchanging and eternal

Thoughts? Criticisms?

Why an alternate definition? Why not an alternate term? Seems to me adding alternate definitions just muddies the waters of communication.

Salix,
Doesn't refer to "the thing" as God.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

From the link:

• unchanging and eternal

Thoughts? Criticisms?
That definition is getting at my pantheistic view of God.

I consider God as the cosmic consciousness of which we are a spark.