• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Allow me to introduce myself

Semmelweis Reflex

Antivaxxer
Do you have any other questions for me? I enjoy questions and seeing as I live in a group home for disabled adults I tend to be bored and lately I've found myself wishing folk would ask me more questions. If you don't that's fine. I probably should do my college homework I've decided to procrastinate on but will likely get done in less then an hour.

Oh, I don't think you know who you're dealing with! I got questions like the terrible twos. I just made a post with more questions before reading this. We will have time for many questions.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Okay. I'm not entirely hip to the concept, I must confess, but as you wish.

If there were, as I suspect there might be in the case of severe autism, a simple cure for autism would you accept it or reject it? Perhaps it almost seems insulting to suggest such a thing? Do you think you would still be you? Maybe it has made you are thus far, but you could change, or would you rather not? I'm not suggesting that you should or shouldn't, that would be up to you of course. I guess what I'm getting at is do you think you could retain those aspects having to do with autism that define you?
Let me tell you something. Imma be blunt but this is not me being rude just being direct. Severe autism is not a thing. Autism is a spectrum in many spectrums. Here is a picture I found online that might help:
upload_2022-6-3_13-1-10.png

Every autistic will have both strengths and weaknesses. Some of the traits will be more harder to live with then others. But saying severe autism and mild autism just relates to how autism affects others around the autistic person not how autistic the person is. I for instance am mostly verbal. I can bathe myself. I possibly one day can live on my own. Most people don't realize im autistic upon first meeting me and often I can blend in. Many like to say my autism is mild cuz it doesn't affect them. But. I also have poor execetive functioning, was declared incompetent to live on my own placed in a group home, was not potty trained till I was 10 years of age, sometimes cannot speak and go nonverbal, and shutdowns can actually make me go catatonic. I am currently trying to get a job but I don't even know if I can even work.

Basically it depends on how you look at autism. Every autistic person is affected by their autistic traits. Just in different ways. Also it is a very neurotypical way of viewing autism. Why would someone's autism be severe? Because they aren't living like a normal person? Does the fact I live in a group home and nearly had guardianship placed over me mean that my life is less functioning then yours? Thus my autism must be severe? Or is it just as functional but different then yours?

Anyway I just had to get that out the way. No I would never accept a cure it'd change me completely. It'd be a huge shock. Im reminded of a guy i know who was born blind. When he had surgery that caused him to gain sight he was miserable. Up until 2 years later the surgery failed and he was blind again. Having an extra sense he never had before completely changed his whole life. It was a shock to his system. Imagine if my brain was completely rewired and changed and everything about me was different as a result of said cure. That would be even more of a shock. I dont know how I'd handle it. It's be too much I can't even imagine what that person would be like.

Last edited: