• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Allow me to introduce myself

Semmelweis Reflex

Antivaxxer
My username is Semmelweis Reflex, but you can call me David or Dave. SR, whatever you feel most comfortable with.

I was raised atheist/irreligious; my dad was atheist, my mom irreligious. I wouldn't have identified as atheist, or anything else, really, until I became a Bible believer. If I would have had to define what I was at that time, it would most logically been agnostic. I identify now as a believer. I don't identify as Christian because I think Christianity has been corrupted, much like every organized religion does over time.

I have a practical approach to spirituality. It isn't idealistic or ideological.

I'm interested in learning what other people believe. I don't expect anyone on the planet to believe the same as me. Nothing I say is original, I'm not special in any way. Perhaps I'm more interested in why people believe what they believe and what effect that may have on themselves and the world at large.

So, debate may be a part of that learning process, but I won't debate for the sake of debate.

I'm looking forward to our discussions.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Semmelweis Reflex

Antivaxxer

Thanks, Ray, I appreciate your response. I agree with what you said about light darkness. I have a couple questions, if you don't mind, so that I can better understand where you are coming from. What does they/them mean? I know it has to do with preferred pronouns, but what do those specific identifiers mean to you, if I may ask. Also, what does it mean to you personally to be autistic. Both these questions are looking for a personal sort of explanation of what these things mean specifically to you. If you don't feel comfortable discussing them, I understand.

Bathos Logos

Welcome! Hopefully you are among those who would have simply washed their hands, and it seems likely that you are (or would have been, as the case may be).

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
My username is Semmelweis Reflex, but you can call me David or Dave. SR, whatever you feel most comfortable with.

I was raised atheist/irreligious; my dad was atheist, my mom irreligious. I wouldn't have identified as atheist, or anything else, really, until I became a Bible believer. If I have to define what I was it would most logically be agnostic. I don't identify as Christian because I think Christianity has been corrupted, much like every organized religion does over time.

I have a practical approach to spirituality. It isn't idealistic or ideological.

I'm interested in learning what other people believe. I don't expect anyone on the planet to believe the same as me. Nothing I say is original, I'm not special in any way. Perhaps I'm more interested in why people believe what they believe and what effect that may have on themselves and the world at large.

So, debate may be a part of that learning process, but I won't debate for the sake of debate.

Thanks.

Welcome again, have some more cake
8552008209aad36f99a13bc912256954.gif

I'm feeling confident that @Revoltingest will be along later with the keys to the staff canteen

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Greetings!
Please join us for lunch in the staff cafeteria.
We'll be having civil sophisticated friendly
conversations about guns, abortions, gods,
whether Prince Andrew really has Covid, or
if it's the proffered excuse to keep him out
of sight.....
giphy.gif

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
. What does they/them mean
Im nonbinary and those pronouns feel the most comfortable to me.
Also, what does it mean to you personally to be autistic
Ah such a tricky question. Autism is a core trait of mine. It affects the way I think, how I process the world through my senses and emotions, how I socialize, some physical traits, my body language, how I communicate, everything.. Asking me what it means to be autistic is like me asking someone else what it's like to not be autistic.

I can't comprehend not being autistic. And throughout my whole life people have tried telling me being autistic is a curse a problem. But it's not. It's just a different way of being. In fact there are loads of pluses to being autistic. It's like as an autistic I'm a mac and everyone who is neurotypical is a PC. We running on different systems but they aren't less then the other just different. This world is full of neurotypical folk and is designed around them. So im not disabled cuz im autistic. Im disabled cuz society isnt designed to accomadate autistic folk. Thus I shouldn't be ashamed or feel my autism is a horrible thing but be proud of it and work to help others accept it and move to help myself be accomadate for my disability so I'll be on equal footing.

Last edited:

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
you're most welcome!

I wouldn't have identified as atheist, or anything else, really, until I became a Bible believer
I'm sure if you invest enough time into the bible you'll know the secrets and pleasure of it. :)
Here is a verse for you to give you a reason to read more of the bible: Proverbs 25:2

Semmelweis Reflex

Antivaxxer
Not a curse (link embedded)

@Semmelweis Reflex
This is a poem i wrote about my autism. Ive written tons in the poetry subforum on my autism but this one might explain a bit.

Fantastic! I loved the poem. I love words. Though they can liberate or enslave. Crazy, for example, can be good or bad. It can be extremely enthusiastic, or deranged. In a deranged society not being deranged can appear deranged. So, a person might feel offended by that. To say they aren't deranged might suggest they are deranged. That's deranged, isn't it? I like to look up words, even if they are simple or commonly used because they can widen your perception, or broaden understanding of other's perspective. The word Crazy will lead you in a vicious circle.

For some reason, which I think is at least to some degree foolish, societies tend to structure themselves around the illusion, at least, of conformity. A great deal of damage has been done in many ways for that foolish paradigm, which is, just an illusion. Illusion becomes reality.

I like your approach much better.

Semmelweis Reflex

Antivaxxer
I'm sure if you invest enough time into the bible you'll know the secrets and pleasure of it. :)
Here is a verse for you to give you a reason to read more of the bible: Proverbs 25:2

Oh, I like that! You just post the scripture and it hyperlinks internally? Let's give it a shot . . . Romans 6:7.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Fantastic! I loved the poem. I love words. Though they can liberate or enslave. Crazy, for example, can be good or bad. It can be extremely enthusiastic, or deranged. In a deranged society not being deranged can appear deranged. So, a person might feel offended by that. To say they aren't deranged might suggest they are deranged. That's deranged, isn't it? I like to look up words, even if they are simple or commonly used because they can widen your perception, or broaden understanding of other's perspective. The word Crazy will lead you in a vicious circle.

For some reason, which I think is at least to some degree foolish, societies tend to structure themselves around the illusion, at least, of conformity. A great deal of damage has been done in many ways for that foolish paradigm, which is, just an illusion. Illusion becomes reality.

I like your approach much better.
Do you have any other questions for me? I enjoy questions and seeing as I live in a group home for disabled adults I tend to be bored and lately I've found myself wishing folk would ask me more questions. If you don't that's fine. I probably should do my college homework I've decided to procrastinate on but will likely get done in less then an hour.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

I was raised atheist/irreligious; my dad was atheist, my mom irreligious. I wouldn't have identified as atheist, or anything else, really, until I became a Bible believer. If I have to define what I was it would most logically be agnostic. I don't identify as Christian because I think Christianity has been corrupted, much like every organized religion does over time.

Thanks.

welcome to RF.

you're a lovelight set on a hill. let your light shine on

Semmelweis Reflex

Antivaxxer
Im nonbinary and those pronouns feel the most comfortable to me.

Okay. I'm not entirely hip to the concept, I must confess, but as you wish.

Ah such a tricky question. Autism is a core trait of mine. It affects the way I think, how I process the world through my senses and emotions, how I socialize, some physical traits, my body language, how I communicate, everything.. Asking me what it means to be autistic is like me asking someone else what it's like to not be autistic.

I can't comprehend not being autistic. And throughout my whole life people have tried telling me being autistic is a curse a problem. But it's not. It's just a different way of being. In fact there are loads of pluses to being autistic. It's like as an autistic I'm a mac and everyone who is neurotypical is a PC. We running on different systems but they aren't less then the other just different. This world is full of neurotypical folk and is designed around them. So im not disabled cuz im autistic. Im disabled cuz society isnt designed to accomadate autistic folk. Thus I shouldn't be ashamed or feel my autism is a horrible thing but be proud of it and work to help others accept it and move to help myself be accomadate for my disability so I'll be on equal footing.

If there were, as I suspect there might be in the case of severe autism, a simple cure for autism would you accept it or reject it? Perhaps it almost seems insulting to suggest such a thing? Do you think you would still be you? Maybe it has made you are thus far, but you could change, or would you rather not? I'm not suggesting that you should or shouldn't, that would be up to you of course. I guess what I'm getting at is do you think you could retain those aspects having to do with autism that define you?