• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Allotment Thoughts

Kirran

Premium Member
I'm living in a small city in the East of England, and I've found that I can probably get a 250 square metre allotment just round the corner from my street for £20 for the year. I am leaving this city in ten months, so I'd just have it for that long.

Considering going for it, and growing some vegetables, but I'm wondering what kinds of vegetables people might recommend I grow. I am in Cambridge, which is the driest place in the UK (30-year average rainfall 557 mm). Lime-rich, loamy and clay-rich soils, according to this.

Don't eat meat, vegetables I eat a lot of are carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, celery, red cabbage. Already know I can't grow ginger, turmeric, or any spices like cumin, fenugreek etc here :) Growing some indoors :)

I was thinking it'd be good to grow some potatoes, some corn, maybe I could grow some beans and some cabbages and carrots as well. But as I am leaving at the end of next July, I'm not sure what would be practical to grow - would need to harvest by then.

What thoughts, RFers? And do any of you grow a lot of your own food, be it with an allotment, on your rooftop, on a farm, etc?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I've found that I can probably get a 250 square metre allotment just round the corner from my street for £20 for the year. I am leaving this city in ten months, so I'd just have it for that long.

If you are not really used to gardening you might find that much ground a lot more than you realise;)
Finding a garden friend who would share the expense (also more than you might think), and the labor especially, might be a very good thing. Just a thought.

Your cruciferous vegetables should be fine. Carrots take a long time, but celery grows fast. Peas and beans and such should give good harvest by then. Tomatoes and peppers are pretty easy, but they will be just getting into full swing by then. Potatoes and root vegetables just won't get that much done by then.

Are you moving far away?
Being able to "visit" would be worth a bit of a drive.
Have fun!
Tom

Kirran

Premium Member
Thanks columbus! I know, I grew up on a farm :p

I'll keep thinking about it. Gonna be moving to the other side of England!