• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alleluia by Leonard Cohen a powerful prayer

Mark Dohle

Yes1.jpg

Alleluia by Leonard Cohen a powerful prayer

The song alleluia by Leonard Cohen is very touching. Today, someone pointed out a video on you-tube for me to see, of a young man singing this song from the balcony of his apartment. He was singing to uplift the spirits of his neighbors. I was deeply touched by the act of kindness, but also the power of the song.

Probably for the first time in my life, when seeing something on the internet, or reading about it in the newspapers, I am finding myself not as a spectator, but as one united to all of the world because we are in this together. It is not happening to others, but to us, to me.

To me this song is a true and powerful prayer, and it caused tears to flow. At the kindness of the young man, but also for all those who cheered him, and I believe he brought some peace to many.

My soul seems fearful, and at the same time enclosed in God's embrace, as if calm is being imparted to me. I pray that all have this calm, which is a true grace of God.

It is true, life turns on a dime. This turning has happened to 9,000 men and women in Italy, who just a month ago were alive, healthy and enjoying life. However, God's love, and our trust in Him will never fail.......God is always yes.--Br.MD

Last edited:

pearl

My soul seems fearful, and at the same time enclosed in God's embrace, as if calm is being imparted to me. I pray that all have this calm, which is a true grace of God.

It is the power of such prayer in song that raises the heart and mind to God. And reminds us that 'this too will pass'.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Do you mean "Hallelujah"? If you think this is a song of praise, then you might want to go back and get a better understanding of the lyrics of the song, no offense. Leonard was a master at lyrical sleight of hand.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
Do you mean "Hallelujah"? If you think this is a song of praise, then you might want to go back and get a better understanding of the lyrics of the song, no offense. Leonard was a master at lyrical sleight of hand.
You’re right. It is a heartbroken lament. Jeff Buckley got it. I heard him sing it not long before his death.

Mark Dohle

You’re right. It is a heartbroken lament. Jeff Buckley got it. I heard him sing it not long before his death.

I do not think it is a song of praise, but one about our painful, often tragic human experience. The melody conveys that even if the words are not understood. I do not know much about the author, and not even sure he is a believer, yet this song brings many to prayer. I doubt Cohen would mind.

It is like a Psalm, they are made up of verses that are of praise, complaint, sorrow, fear, rage, hate and anger.

When a writer or a composer shares their works, each person will take and interpret it the way that makes sense to them. I do know that he did have some frustration over how the song was used by many, but, sitll, it seems to draw people out. That is what music is for.

As a believer, I would say that even if Cohen was not a believer (not sure what he was) music is still used to bring out a deeply human response.

Interesting article about him;

Leonard Cohen, the Christ-Haunted | Joe Heschmeyer

peace
Mark

Mark Dohle

It is the power of such prayer in song that raises the heart and mind to God. And reminds us that 'this too will pass'.
Yes, thank God "all things pass". That thought has gotten me through many dark times.

peace
mark

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The first time I heard the song was at dance competition that one of my granddaughters was in several years ago, and it didn't take long before tears formed into my eyes as this is the most moving song I have ever heard in my 75 years.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
I do not think it is a song of praise, but one about our painful, often tragic human experience. The melody conveys that even if the words are not understood. I do not know much about the author, and not even sure he is a believer, yet this song brings many to prayer. I doubt Cohen would mind.

It is like a Psalm, they are made up of verses that are of praise, complaint, sorrow, fear, rage, hate and anger.

When a writer or a composer shares their works, each person will take and interpret it the way that makes sense to them. I do know that he did have some frustration over how the song was used by many, but, sitll, it seems to draw people out. That is what music is for.

As a believer, I would say that even if Cohen was not a believer (not sure what he was) music is still used to bring out a deeply human response.

Interesting article about him;

Leonard Cohen, the Christ-Haunted | Joe Heschmeyer

peace
Mark

He was an extraordinary man. A poet, musician, novelist and humanist.

He toured Australia about ten years ago during a catastrophic bushfire season. He was so moved by the destruction on Black Saturday that he donated all the money from the tour to the fire victims.

I take your point about Psalms.

My favourite Leonard Cohen album is Songs Of Love And Hate.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
I hate the song. The combination of such an important Biblical term of praising God with such shallow lyrics turning it into just another odd love song disgusts me.
Most people I know only know the first stanza, like the music, and therefore think it's a great song.

Mark Dohle

He was an extraordinary man. A poet, musician, novelist and humanist.

He toured Australia about ten years ago during a catastrophic bushfire season. He was so moved by the destruction on Black Saturday that he donated all the money from the tour to the fire victims.

I take your point about Psalms.

My favourite Leonard Cohen album is Songs Of Love And Hate.
I am going to give him more attention. Thanks for your input.
peace
Mark

Mark Dohle

I hate the song. The combination of such an important Biblical term of praising God with such shallow lyrics turning it into just another odd love song disgusts me.
Most people I know only know the first stanza, like the music, and therefore think it's a great song.
I disagree ;-), the psalms deal with the whole of life. I believe he mentioned David for a reason, he had his own issues with how he related to women. Bethsheba comes to mind. Life is messy, it can all be brought to prayer........however, I do get your point, which is valid of course.

peace
mark