• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Allahu Akbar"

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Many here have probably heard on the news that this or that terrorist shouted "Allahu akbar!" while carrying out an attack, and many others, not necessarily here, seem to associate takbeer (the act of uttering these two words) with violence or terrorism. But it's Eid morning where I live, and these are the calls I hear all over the street every Eid before the Eid prayer:

As millions of Muslims exchange greetings, start to celebrate the holiday, and spend quiet time with their families or friends, they start the day off with a lot of takbeer. It won't show up on the news as much as the terrorists' cries, even though it's a pretty safe bet as to which one is the more common usage of "Allahu akbar."

Eid Mubarak to those who celebrate (me included! :D), and a great day to those who don't!

Salaam/cheers.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Allah or God, God or Allah

Allāhu Akbar! Allāhu Akbar!
God is greatest, God is greatest.

Praised in all Abrahamic faiths,
Allah is God on the highest,
Lost in worn human epitaphs
Of arrogance, violence, and exclusive forgiveness.

Offer call to prayer from the sacred stone towers
Of Duke Chapel in naïve tolerance,
And flowery hopes of dialogue and good will.
Where righteous ancient causes bred violence.

Ash-hadu an-lā ilāha illā a allāh
I bear witness there is no other God but God.

Proclaimed before God called to Abraham
Ancient walls echo how many Gods are God.
Dark chasms in stone remain between.
Call to pray to Allah, and prayer call to God

Call to prayer barred from majestic stone spires
In delusions beyond ecumenism
Doomed to failure all will not agree
Set in stone human divisions and isms.

Ash-hadu anna Mohamadan-Rasul-ullah
I bear witness that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah

General Lee stands guard, USA or CSA[1]
Sword is drawn in defiance
This line will not be crossed.
Mohammad is not God of forgiveness.

Call to prayer denied enshrined in glass and lead.
Frank Graham no tolerance proclaimed.
A gentle tug on the piano wire
Tightens the purse strings just enough.

For Allah is declared not the true God
Of hallowed spires reaching for heaven fearing disobedience.
There will be no call to prayer in the name of God

. . . and the sign reads TOLERANCE ENDS.[2]

[1] Statue of General Robert E. Lee is on the right side middle of the main entrance to the Dyke Chapel. The belt buckle may show CSA or USA, but it appears partially Ground off. Removed in August of 2017 due to damage by vandals.

[2] Load limit signs on roads entering Durham.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
So, what are they celebrating? I thought Ramadan was during spring.
To the best of my understanding, they are celebrating the existence and potential for furthening of brotherhood among people of good will. By a mainstream Muslim reading, that would be as a consequence of their faith in the One True God.

I may be wrong, but I doubt I am too far off the mark.

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
To the best of my understanding, they are celebrating the existence and potential for furthening of brotherhood among people of good will. By a mainstream Muslim reading, that would be as a consequence of their faith in the One True God.

I may be wrong, but I doubt I am too far off the mark.
So, what are they celebrating? I thought Ramadan was during spring.
Its Eid al-adha ,check this link, below:

Eid al-Adha - Wikipedia

Mark Dohle

Many here have probably heard on the news that this or that terrorist shouted "Allahu akbar!" while carrying out an attack, and many others, not necessarily here, seem to associate takbeer (the act of uttering these two words) with violence or terrorism. But it's Eid morning where I live, and these are the calls I hear all over the street every Eid before the Eid prayer:

As millions of Muslims exchange greetings, start to celebrate the holiday, and spend quiet time with their families or friends, they start the day off with a lot of takbeer. It won't show up on the news as much as the terrorists' cries, even though it's a pretty safe bet as to which one is the more common usage of "Allahu akbar."

Eid Mubarak to those who celebrate (me included! :D), and a great day to those who don't!

Salaam/cheers.
Thank you for sharing this, we all need to be 'talked too' from time to time. We tend to judge groups other than our own by those who actually fail to live out their valures and faith.

Peace
mark