• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Allah being merciful

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Thank you for your reply.
Since a sighted Scripture can be clicked on to be viewed, even a person without a Bible can read for one's self what that verse or passage is saying.
In other words, I don't want a person to think I am referring to something that is Not in Scripture but just where in Scripture it is located for easy viewing.
Also, I don't wish to make my response any longer than I feel is necessary by typing out the verses which this forum makes it so easy to click on to the verse(s).

I don't know about others, but because I'm not christian and don't feel the need to challenge spiritual and biblical things if I were, I take believers words for it. I find it odd to use scripture as a "weapon" for proving and disproving points and arguments. Trust yourself. Scripture does say god works through you. People speak to you who aren't christians (and scripture focused) will focus on people they can talk now and relate to rather than people they cannot because they have passed away. We put value on those that are alive than words of those who died.

SeekerOnThePath

On a mountain between Nietzsche and Islam
I wanted to make a thread on this but couldn't figure if I should do it here. I don't have aversion against the Quran, Allah, and so have you so keep it positive.

To anyone who knows this-please answer more than a couple of sentences. I'm actually curious.

-

In the bible, jesus walks on water and heals the dead to show that by faith a christian can do "the same thing" (or have the power of god behind their faith to make miraculous things happen).

Jesus also had conversations and lessons (like the mustard seed) to show the different levels of faith people can have from rocky soil to good soil and who an actual good/half/bad followers are in his father.

There are many examples of god (say jesus) being merciful beyond the claims. Actions that support the claim rather than the claim support itself.

Does the Quran have any examples of Allah being merciful?

If mercifulness can only be shown in practice, and not everyone is a Muslim, does Allah not love them (as a creator of all people)?

In christianity it is said that god loves all people just some choose not to follow. In the Quran, it sounds like god does not love all people only those who choose to follow.

Are these things true?

"Say: ‘O My servants who have committed excesses against their own souls, do not despair of the mercy of Allah. Indeed Allah will forgive all sins. Indeed He is the All-forgiving, the All-merciful." (Qur'an 39:53)

l1qmmnwts1p51.jpg

4ym8wfoaseh51.png

(sorry big images, but beautiful Hadiths).

SeekerOnThePath

I wanted to make a thread on this but couldn't figure if I should do it here. I don't have aversion against the Quran, Allah, and so have you so keep it positive.

To anyone who knows this-please answer more than a couple of sentences. I'm actually curious.

-

In the bible, jesus walks on water and heals the dead to show that by faith a christian can do "the same thing" (or have the power of god behind their faith to make miraculous things happen).

Jesus also had conversations and lessons (like the mustard seed) to show the different levels of faith people can have from rocky soil to good soil and who an actual good/half/bad followers are in his father.

There are many examples of god (say jesus) being merciful beyond the claims. Actions that support the claim rather than the claim support itself.

If mercifulness can only be shown in practice, and not everyone is a Muslim, does Allah not love them (as a creator of all people)?

In christianity it is said that god loves all people just some choose not to follow. In the Quran, it sounds like god does not love all people only those who choose to follow.

Are these things true?

Ibn abu ‘Umayr has narrated from Jamil ibn Darraj and Drust from Muhammad ibn Marwan who has said the following: “I heard Imam Ja'far al-Sadiq (a.s.) saying, ‘everything has weighing and measuring tools except the tears. A drop of tear can extinguish oceans of fire. If the eye floods with tears, that face will not suffer anything or become humiliated. If the eye overflows with tears, Allah makes it forbidden for the fire to burn it and if a person weeps in a nation, that nation will receive favors.’”

Imam Zayn al-Abidin (AS) said, 'It is no small wonder if man is given salvation [on the Day of Resurrection], rather what is a wonder is how he manages to end up in eternal damnation in spite of Allah's all-encompassing mercy.

SeekerOnThePath

-

Are these things true?

You should also read this, which is written for the average person (not philosophers like me, lol):

My Mercy Prevails Over My Wrath (part 2 of 2), My Mercy Prevails Over My Wrath (part 1 of 2)

SeekerOnThePath

Hi,
I am not acquainted with Islamic belief. However, as most know Allah is simply God in Arabic. This is simply too vague and generic a title to be able to assume any characteristics pertaining to Allah or any other unidentified God.

Actually Allah means "The God" in Arabic, not just "god".
The generic word for "god" in Arabic is Lah.

Allah is a word that is singular and absolute. The term Allah necessitates strict monotheism/monism. There aren't multiple Allah's, that is a contradiction of the definition itself.
But in polytheistic religions there are multiple Lah's, as the word Lah can be used pluralistically.

As the Shahada goes: There is No God Except The God.
(more catchingly abbreviated to There is No God but God)

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
It's a very bad example for humanity, a man that fought in wars, killed countless people, had many wives, some being children, I can go on and on, he is no different then Hitler.

Muhammad united the savage warring tribes of the Arabian Peninsula and made of them a great nation. He was the first to establish freedom of religion as a law in a written constitution which is the cornerstone of today’s civilisation. He stood up for an oppressed people and prevented genocide. All His battles were defensive.

Because Muhammad taught there was only one God, this conflicted with the Meccan economy which was based upon tributes paid to 360 gods. First they tried to bribe Him with wealth and power, but when He refused to withdraw His teaching of one God, the Meccans began oppressing, torturing and killing the Muslims. They then fled as refugees to Abyssinia, where a Christian king, Negus, granted them asylum. They eventually fled to Medina where tribes turned to Muhammad to solve their infighting and He united them and they became His followers.

But the Meccans pursued them and began persecuting them. At that point, Muhammad received a verse - Sura 2:190 granting them the right of self defense.

And fight for the cause of God against those who fight against you: but commit not the injustice of attacking them first: God loveth not such injustice:

J M Rodwell

Muhammad never killed anyone Himself.

As to Aisha, his wife. She was around the age of 19 when they married. Events in the Quran place her at that time. Hadiths are not reliable sources of information. 100,000’s have been found to be forgeries.

I find Islam, after much research to be a religion of peace and that it is from God, even prophesied in both the Old and New Testaments.

Christianity at the time was going through terrible internal calamities and infighting, that many, turned to Islam. It was a mercy to them.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Hi,
I am not acquainted with Islamic belief. However, as most know Allah is simply God in Arabic. This is simply too vague and generic a title to be able to assume any characteristics pertaining to Allah or any other unidentified God.

You should note that though you are correct, Allah means "The God" or "The Deity". The phrase itself means the monotheistic teaching of the Qur'an.

In fact, it may sound vague to you brother, but its very specific. It is simply saying there is one God, or one Deity. Just one. And that's it.

Peace.

Neuropteron

You should note that though you are correct, Allah means "The God" or "The Deity". The phrase itself means the monotheistic teaching of the Qur'an.

In fact, it may sound vague to you brother, but its very specific. It is simply saying there is one God, or one Deity. Just one. And that's it.

Peace.
Hi,

I agree with your premise that there is only one true God. However given that that are many false God's, it requires us to specify which God we worship.

This is brought out clearly in the first of the ten commandments. Here God clearly identifies himself by name and adds that no other God should be worshipped. Had God not made that distinction it would be impossible to obey that law.

Ex 20:1 : I am Jehovah your God...you must not have any other God against my face".

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Hi,

I agree with your premise that there is only one true God. However given that that are many false God's, it requires us to specify which God we worship.

This is brought out clearly in the first of the ten commandments. Here God clearly identifies himself by name and adds that no other God should be worshipped. Had God not made that distinction it would be impossible to obey that law.

Ex 20:1 : I am Jehovah your God...you must not have any other God against my face".
I don't find the word "Jehovah" in Ex 20:1 at:
Exodus 20:1–17 ESV - And God spoke all these… | Biblia

Regards

Kelly of the Phoenix

There are many examples of god (say jesus) being merciful beyond the claims.
Jesus also calls people bad names and says they're children of the devil. That's not merciful. He just goes up to random people and swears at them.

Oh. I was thinking more like god working through people (Moses, Jesus, et cetera) to show his love.
Moses got an entire generation dead before reaching the Promised Land after promising he'd get them there.

And Sulaiman (Solomon) inherited (the knowledge of) Dawud (David). He said: "O mankind! We have been taught the language of birds, and on us have been bestowed all things. This, verily, is an evident grace (from Allah)."
Interesting. I've talked to birds before. They weren't pets. They were wild and eventually we understood each other.

It's a very bad example for humanity, a man that fought in wars, killed countless people, had many wives, some being children, I can go on and on, he is no different then Hitler.
Moses is similar.

You think Muhammad was a nice person, like Jesus?
The Jesus who attacked people with a whip?

I have no aversion against the Quran. So, please keep it positive.
Yeah, it's no worse than the bible.

That key anti-religion message/talking point
Less of an anti-religious talking point and more like an honest assessment of what goes on in the story. It's like saying Voldemort wasn't bad, just helping the wizarding world focus on purity or whatever.

Which goes along with mispainting isolated verses or passages where God has someone executed, or does it Himself, in order to protect the more innocents from some great evil some are doing.
It tends to come off as God inventing excuses for letting His chosen people die when He was specifically assigned by the council of the gods to protect them.

God will resurrect every innocent person to eternal life
You'd want to spend an eternity with the One who killed you?

Only being "asleep" as Jesus put it:
That woman was essentially comatose. He says Lazarus was asleep but later admitted the guy was dead. He doesn't do that here. He insists she is only sleeping.

Everyone that does any crime, murder, or any else, will answer for it with perfect Justice (a reason to 'fear the Lord'), unless they have utterly repented (had a total change of being, entire, so that they are entirely a different person). Wonderfully a savior was sent to rescue us from our wrongdoing, if we would confess our wrong and turn to Him in faith.
Is God held to the same standard?

They even burn their sons and daughters in the fire as sacrifices to their gods."
Why is okay when Jephthah does it?

So...it's analogous to a policeman who sends sleeping gas into a building where terrorists are killing hostages, to knock everyone out. Then carries out all the bodies and revives everyone, but the guilty separated from the innocents now.
God is an incompetent cop?

God: Oh, I'm sorry, I could've gotten that super specific warrant out for the exact criminals, but I'm super lazy and didn't feel like it.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Hi,

Well, the Islamic concept is that there is one God. And its God. So that's the specificity. The one God does not need a personal name because when you say Allah, it only refers to the one God. The God. Thats what it means.

In the Islamic theology, God does not need a name. And he does not have one. The 99 names as such are attributes that some verses refer him in but none of them are his personal names which is a very human thing.

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
Hmm. Your religious belief is very complicated, mythological, and exotic. I'm pretty simple when it comes to spirituality, et cetera.

There is only one death. "Sin" (to use the term) does not need to be forgiven by others. That we come to healing and process of understanding what we have done by ourselves, and help from others and help (rather than pardon) from our gods et cetera.

I was surprised in recent years to realize the way the gospel works is just purely logical to accomplish the goal of developing souls to live forever together in harmony and love. (Souls have to live, learn from mistakes, and choose whether to trust and love). It's even the only feasible solution for the givens of: a) intelligent beings with b) real freedom (thus freedom to love), true agency.

halbhh

Ah. So killing babies means God doesnt exist?
No. The idea that death of this body is a real/final death is a form of assuming God does not exist. Christ says instead:

Mark 5:39 He went inside and asked, "Why all this commotion and weeping? The child is not dead, but asleep."

See? So, if you posit instead the exact opposite -- that instead the child was dead in a final way -- you'd then in effect be assuming (using as a starting point the position) a form of just believing God doesn't exist as in the text.

But if you simply assume as a starting point that God as in the text isn't how God is....

...then you end up discussing about some other 'god' instead of the one in text. A different 'god', as it were, than the one in the text.

halbhh

The Jesus who attacked people with a whip?

That's a popular misconception.

If we look closer:

13The Passover of the Jews was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem. 14In the temple he found those who were selling oxen and sheep and pigeons, and the money-changers sitting there. 15And making a whip of cords, he drove them all out of the temple, with the sheep and oxen. And he poured out the coins of the money-changers and overturned their tables. 16And he told those who sold the pigeons, “Take these things away; do not make my Father’s house a house of trade.” 17His disciples remembered that it was written, “Zeal for your house will consume me.”
John 2 ESV
(emphasis added)

I have many times driven animals.

I followed the examples of older people -- anyone with competence (like people would normally have in the ancient world) knows that you simply wave anything in the air (rope, whip, a stick, etc.) and make noise -- and animals will move/flee.

Only an incompetent or cruel person would begin striking the animals.

We don't have any evidence nor cause to believe Jesus wouldn't know the common everyday knowledge of the people in that culture he grew up in.

Of course, the owners of the fleeing animals would run after them, to try to catch them..

But we can notice that he spoke to the people selling pigeons. (of course the pigeons could not flee if in cages)

Does that help make it more clear?

@BlueSky95

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I was surprised in recent years to realize the way the gospel works is just purely logical to accomplish the goal of developing souls to live forever together in harmony and love. (Souls have to live, learn from mistakes, and choose whether to trust and love). It's even the only feasible solution for the givens of: a) intelligent beings with b) real freedom (thus freedom to love), true agency.

When I read the bible I didn't get that. I assume it's more someone has that feeling already and the bible confirms it rather than the source of it. If it were the source-and it's that powerful-all would come to the same conclusion.

No. The idea that death of this body is a real/final death is a form of assuming God does not exist. Christ says instead:

In another post before it was deleted, I mentioned that god didn't exist. So, I would agree that god wouldn't exist if going by christian view. Though if I used the word god, I'd say more death is a part of life and god is that process of life, death, and all the above. It's life itself.

See? So, if you posit instead the exact opposite -- that instead the child was dead in a final way -- you'd then in effect be assuming (using as a starting point the position) a form of just believing God doesn't exist as in the text.

Pretty much. Child die just as adults and there's no continuation outside the energy or feelings, I guess, loved ones would have of the lost. Sometimes we leave imprints on earth but no soul that continues on and the body doesn't resurrect. I'm sure context means a lot when discussing things in this nature, though.

How would you internally feel if god did not exist as he does in the text?

But if you simply assume as a starting point that God as in the text isn't how God is....

...then you end up discussing about some other 'god' instead of the one in text. A different 'god', as it were, than the one in the text.

If you mean text as in scripture, yes. I don't believe god of scripture exists to talk about it as though it actually does. When I talk about god in discussion, I'm speaking from what I read "about" god rather than having a personal relationship with him and speaking from the lens of that relationship than what I read verbatim in scripture.

I don't use the word god since its a loaded word. It depends on the conversation.

halbhh

When I read the bible I didn't get that. I assume it's more someone has that feeling already and the bible confirms it rather than the source of it.
I only realized it recently. I'd read the bible through twice (and many books in it more times) long before I had this realization. It was a sudden epiphany.

halbhh

Though if I used the word god, I'd say more death is a part of life and god is that process of life, death, and all the above. It's life itself.

When young, my view was that the purpose of life is life itself, being alive. I wasn't particularly afraid of death, and one time (as an atheist at that point) I honestly thought I was dying once when extremely ill, and I just began spontaneously laughing. To me, dying was funny at that moment. (Fortunately it was not a terminal illness.)

It makes sense to have a viewpoint were 'god' (as it were, a different one than the One I know of now) is simply life itself, or the sum total of all life.

Another similar wording for that is the 'universal consciousness'.

These are all forms of the so called "Perennial Philosophy" .

The final form of it I liked before the time I learned more (in a more deep and full way that is) of what Christ said was: "all things are one (thing)".

I think I had to read what Christ said about 5 or 10 times before I was ready or able to understand it better than just the surface basics (and I am the kind of person that simply was able to test out of the required college level English course, so I'm a fairly capable reader; so understanding Him isn't about intellectual ability, but about....willingness or an ability to hear in a more open way).

Last edited: