• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All you need is love…

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Not sure where to begin so I’ll talk about the world’s problems. I personally believe that the solution to things like poverty, oppression and political instability resulting in humanitarian crises and upheavals all just require LOVE to bring about a lasting solution.

Where there is love, people are much kinder and thoughtful and look out for each other. But how do we infuse our institutions/societies with love and justice so that things like cruelty and oppression cease?

Lain

Not sure where to begin so I’ll talk about the world’s problems. I personally believe that the solution to things like poverty, oppression and political instability resulting in humanitarian crises and upheavals all just require LOVE to bring about a lasting solution.

Where there is love, people are much kinder and thoughtful and look out for each other. But how do we infuse our institutions/societies with love and justice so that things like cruelty and oppression cease?

I personally think all one can do is themselves become loving and just (both extremely difficult tasks), for while one may influence some others, nothing just will last unless God wills it. As the Psalm says "unless the Lord builds the house they labor in vain that build it..." But we should still continue on that somewhat futile task because it's part of living the human life.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I don't know. I didn't have a solid definition of love growing up and wouldn't say that's a core value to help with the world's problems. What do you mean by love in the context you're using?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
But how do we infuse our institutions/societies with love and justice so that things like cruelty and oppression cease?

Personally it happens automatically as our deeds inspire others. This was noted in a fun and reverse way in the book Good Omens because that wave of goodness does spread:

Right now, across the country, people who would otherwise have been made just that little bit more tense and angry by being summoned from a nice bath, or having their names mispronounced at them, were instead feeling quite untroubled and at peace with the world. As a result of Hastur’s action a wave of low-grade goodness started to spread exponentially through the population, and millions of people who ultimately would have suffered minor bruises of the soul did not in fact do so. So that was all right.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

Fear and love compete for the same space in people. Worry is a type of fear which we often mistake for caring, but it is not caring. Is worrying wrong? No, it has its place; but it shouldn't be mistaken for care, for love, for action, for discipline, for prudence. So let people learn to identify worry and to realize when they worry and train to turn this into caring and action and discipline and prudence. Then fear becomes love as the worry becomes caring, and the whole person is improved. Let the worry become only 1/10 and the caring become 9/10, and then maybe you will have your wish.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

It's a great thought.

But it's not possible in reality.

Best endeavor to keep yourself happy and keeping your own circle in a way that the goal can be obtained for a greater part. Not a total loss in that respect.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I personally believe that the solution to things like poverty, oppression and political instability resulting in humanitarian crises and upheavals all just require LOVE to bring about a lasting solution.
Go to Afghanistan and teach them LOVE. Carry Allah's latest message to them.

Last edited:

Gargovic Malkav

I think it's often tempting to be more loving and forgiving with the ones you are personally involved with.
Or if it's someone you dislike, more tempting to be unforgiving and unreasonable.

Some people don't feel loved as soon as they feel criticized or have been denied something, therefore making it tempting to fill their hearts with sadness and/or hatred.

Also, when people are publicly put on a pedestal for doing something selfless and/or righteous, it becomes tempting for such people and anyone who follows their example to think they are better than those they don't consider like-minded, therefore putting them at risk of becoming hypocrites as they create division and inequality even though such people often talk about unity and equality.

I think the obsessive desire to create the perfect utopia is a way to create a nightmarish dystopia where people are forced to be "loving".

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself

Like you said yourself at the end, we need justice, too, which if we have love that makes justice easier to attain, but they are not the same thing. We need firmness too to achieve justice, reward and punishment.

Truthseeker

I personally think all one can do is themselves become loving and just (both extremely difficult tasks), for while one may influence some others, nothing just will last unless God wills it. As the Psalm says "unless the Lord builds the house they labor in vain that build it..." But we should still continue on that somewhat futile task because it's part of living the human life.
There's not much we can do alone, true, we can only influence a few. But that's my goal in being here. Better than only entertaining ourselves. My goal is also to become more loving, just, and humble by being here. I fall down on these all too often.

Truthseeker

Fear and love compete for the same space in people. Worry is a type of fear which we often mistake for caring, but it is not caring. Is worrying wrong? No, it has its place; but it shouldn't be mistaken for care, for love, for action, for discipline, for prudence. So let people learn to identify worry and to realize when they worry and train to turn this into caring and action and discipline and prudence. Then fear becomes love as the worry becomes caring, and the whole person is improved. Let the worry become only 1/10 and the caring become 9/10, and then maybe you will have your wish.
I think I know what you are getting at. Merely worrying is not an action to help a person.

Truthseeker

I think it's often tempting to be more loving and forgiving with the ones you are personally involved with.
Or if it's someone you dislike, more tempting to be unforgiving and unreasonable.
Yes, being loving with one's own circle and those you don't know who may oppose your own circle being demonized and not even being recognized as being human are has led to wars at times. It helps to get to know those who are in the opposition, so they are humanized.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I think the obsessive desire to create the perfect utopia is a way to create a nightmarish dystopia where people are forced to be "loving".
^^^
We need firmness too to achieve justice, reward and punishment.
Will you need batons, stun guns or Kalashnikovs for that? Torture equipments, water buckets?
I fall down on these all too often.
I understand. That is the reality. Blah-blah about peace and brotherhood is different.

Last edited:

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Another part to using our capacity for empathy for change is hitching it to our unique ability to munipulate our environment to suit our needs in a way that promotes lives rather than devalue or destroy it.