• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All You Christians Out There, Explain This One To Me

Skwim

Veteran Member
But first you have to watch a couple of video snippets.

During a comedy show in 2011, Sarah Silverman, who is a Jewish stand-up comedian, sarcastically joked that she hoped “the Jews did kill Christ.”

Eight years later a Florida pastor, Adam Fannin, evidently desperate to find someone to rail against revived the video, and because of what she had said about killing Jesus he calls her "a witch, a Jezebel, a god-hating whore of Zionism," and hopes that god gives her an untimely death."

Okay, now correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't god's whole idea of creating Jesus (or coming down to earth as him) to die for our sins? That Jesus had to die!

2 Cor. 5:21
"He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him."

1 Peter 2:24
, "and He Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness; for by His wounds you were healed."

Rom. 8:3-4,
"For what the Law could not do, weak as it was through the flesh, God did: sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and as an offering for sin, He condemned sin in the flesh, 4so that the requirement of the Law might be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit."​

If Jesus had never died to bear our sins we would never have a chance to "become the righteousness of God in Him."

So why is Fannin so pissed off at Silverman for saying she hoped the Jews killed Christ, something god planned to happen? I would think Christians would be very pleased the Jews (or Romans) killed Jesus. Yet I've personally heard Christians say they hate Jews because they killed Jesus.

So, just what is the disconnect here?

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Good question. I never understood myself when I was a Christian, and I wouldn't say those I associated with hate the Jews, there is still negativity attached to those who killed Jesus, especially Judas.

Nimos

Florida pastor, Adam Fannin
Good question, what would have happened if Jesus had not taken the sins on him? :)

Also that Pastor is evidence that some people clearly get damaged by religion, I don't hope he have any kids watching him talk like that about another human. Can't he be sued for saying such things as it could encourage some "manic" to try to kill her?. Sort of like when Islamic people make a death fatwa against someone and basically encourage others to kill that person. If I were her I would sue this idiot, if possible.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher

During a comedy show in 2011, Sarah Silverman, who is a Jewish stand-up comedian, sarcastically joked that she hoped “the Jews did kill Christ.”

Eight years later a Florida pastor, Adam Fannin, evidently desperate to find someone to rail against revived the video, and because of what she had said about killing Jesus he calls her "a witch, a Jezebel, a god-hating whore of Zionism," and hopes that god gives her an untimely death."

Okay, now correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't god's whole idea of creating Jesus (or coming down to earth as him) to die for our sins? That Jesus had to die!

"He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him."

, "and He Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness; for by His wounds you were healed."

"For what the Law could not do, weak as it was through the flesh, God did: sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and as an offering for sin, He condemned sin in the flesh, 4so that the requirement of the Law might be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit."​

If Jesus had never died to bear our sins we would never have a chance to "become the righteousness of God in Him."

So why is Fannin so pissed off at Silverman for saying she hoped the Jews killed Christ, something god planned to happen? I would think Christians would be very pleased the Jews (or Romans) killed Jesus. Yet I've personally heard Christians say they hate Jews because they killed Jesus.

The irony considering Christians use the same critique against Muslims whenever Muhammad is slandered, and when some extremist Imam calls for the death of the one who slandered Muhammad and the response from Christians is usually like as you say, a disconnect.

88aa5a9708fe10faa3529b8420fc07aa.png

The irony considering Christians use the same critique against Muslims whenever Muhammad is slandered, and when some extremist Imam calls for the death of the one who slandered Muhammad and the response from Christians is usually like as you say, a disconnect.

View attachment 31783

Hoping god strikes someone down is very different from encouraging humans to kill someone.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Hoping god strikes someone down is very different from encouraging humans to kill someone.

Oh there are Christians who encourage people to kill. The rhetoric is all just the same hoping death happens to someone metaphysically or physically is dangerous nonetheless.

Oh there are Christians who encourage people to kill. The rhetoric is all just the same hoping death happens to someone metaphysically or physically is dangerous nonetheless.

Perhaps, but it is still very different from proclaiming it is a religious duty to kill someone.

It's fair enough to criticise such bigoted rhetoric, but it's clearly not the same as a direct incitement to murder.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
As a Christian I am not offended and that joke kinda amused me....
Btw...I think she will be disappointed because crucifixion has always been a Roman punishment, present in the Roman penal law for specific crimes only.
So it had nothing to do with the Jews.

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member

I have never understood that, except that Funddamentalists seem to need people to demonize and threaten in order to express how much they love. You see, the love of a Funddamentalist is different from that of a square.

I don't get it. It is hate. Nothing more nor less than that. I have never understood how people that all claim they are right with God need to hate anyone, but they do. A lot. How can you worship the most powerful being in existence and fear and hate so much? It does not make any sense to me. I don't do it and I know many Christians that do not do it.

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member
Btw...I think she will be disappointed because crucifixion has always been a Roman punishment, present in the Roman penal law for specific crimes only.
I like Sarah Silverman and think she is funny. I could care less about what she says about Christ. If Christ finds her wanting, that is between Him and her. If I were offended, I would just not listen or watch her anymore. If asked, I would say why, but that is about the most that any of us can do without keeping the hate that is claimed for her, alive in ourselves.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
It is funny. Silverman is a shock comic. She did 9/11 jokes during that same show. It's from her DVD called Jesus is Magic (haha). It's the sort of comedy where you know it's messed up, but it's funny regardless.

Good question. I never understood myself when I was a Christian, and I wouldn't say those I associated with hate the Jews, there is still negativity attached to those who killed Jesus, especially Judas.

I well remember the first time I watched and heard Joseph Campbell in his series The Power of Myth describe Judas as the midwife of our salvation. That just struck me like a ton of brick! Judas was not the bad guy, he helped birth humanity's salvation! Talk about an eye opening concept for me at the time.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I well remember the first time I watched and heard Joseph Campbell in his series The Power of Myth describe Judas as the midwife of our salvation. That just struck me like a ton of brick! Judas was not the bad guy, he helped birth humanity's salvation! Talk about an eye opening concept for me at the time.
That's basically why I've never understood the Judas hate. It was required, someone had to do it, and it doesn't seem like Doubting Thomas or Denying Peter would have done it. Seems to me that Judas was one of the most loyal and devoted of Jesus' disciples.

That's basically why I've never understood the Judas hate. It was required, someone had to do it, and it doesn't seem like Doubting Thomas or Denying Peter would have done it. Seems to me that Judas was one of the most loyal and devoted of Jesus' disciples.

Yes! He did what none of the others could do. That makes him the hero. Weird that he is the most hated hero in all of myth..... but I guess someone has to be there. I thought the recently discovered Gospel of Judas was fascinating as well. A lot of scholars looked into it including Elaine Pagels, one of the better Gnostic scholars on the scene. I enjoy her writings also. Very thought provoking.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Exactly. Judas was as much a link in the chain of Jesus's mission as was Mary, and as were the Romans who nailed him to the cross. There were no bad guys involved in the crucifixion, and in IMO, every Christian should be thanking and even honoring them all.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member

I literally feel like somebody just punched me in the brain and now I'm having an aneurysm with how utterly stupid that pastor is. THAT guy and those like him are the reason so many are leaving Christianity... He's so obsessed with his own personal politics and medieval-style anti-Semitism he's tossed the commandments of Christ out the window.