• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All Signs Point to Eclectic UU Pagan, so now what?

graveghoul

Ive been over the criteria hundreds of times. Ive taken tests online, ive read ebooks on Wicca and New Age, ive considered my past encounters with religion in general and all signs point to Wicca. I posted in the Seeker section titled: Took the Religion Tests and Still Not Happy.

I know that i have the right to pick and choose what i believe but there's just this part of me that's so traditional in a sense. I have to follow guidelines. The biggest issue i have with Neopaganism/Wicca is the multiple Gods. I just have my mind wrapped around this one, whole, everlasting, ever infinite "force" I really dont have a name for but i know is the source of all existence. It's like a blanket that is everywhere, in everything, and flows throughout time and the multiverse. Very Panentheistic. Now, would it be logical to assume that the dividing of God and Goddess could be metaphors within the correlation of the polarities of this "force"? Is it possible in Wicca in general to pray to just one God? To set up your alters and prayers to this one infinite deity?

Ok, this is a two parter. Assuming id gotten part one (above) figured out, how would i go about as a beginner? As stated in the previous post, im not a "nature lover"...more of a nature-neutral-respecter. "The moon is beautiful tonight. It's so mysterious and wondrous. I thank God for creating something so...oh hey, big Bang theory is on!" HAHA! I stare at sunsets. I enjoy the rolling waves and scent of the beach. I thank God everyday that i lived one more day. But as far as "Oh hey there tree, can i steal a leaf from you? Hello there you pretty flower. Can i pick you and kill you for my own selfish practices? (no response) Yes? Why thank you!" Ok, that was sarcastic, but you get the idea. I embrace the modern age and the idea of a "solitary" but i have no clue where to start. In my original thread, a poster mentioned something along the lines of a techie pagan? I googled it and there isnt too much on it. :shrug:

HELP!!!

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Build an alter. Light some incense, draw a circle mediate and ground yourself. Call upon the God, gods or goddess and commune with them.

Sees

Dragonslayer
Lots of people relate to soft polytheism, pantheism, panentheism, etc. within Wicca and the pagan/neopagan umbrella in general. You can have a sort of light or soft monotheism from within that. Nobody is going to perfectly align with the labeling, compartmentalizing, etc. others have scrapped together.

From books on Wicca I've read, part or in full, most tend to see the Divine as one panentheistic source, force, etc. then related in opposites and polarization then manifestated in myriad forms. You can jump off that train or change course any where you like...many kindred spirits may even believe, feel, etc. extremely similar to you but use different words and concepts to formulate and express.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Ive been over the criteria hundreds of times. Ive taken tests online, ive read ebooks on Wicca and New Age, ive considered my past encounters with religion in general and all signs point to Wicca. I posted in the Seeker section titled: Took the Religion Tests and Still Not Happy.

I know that i have the right to pick and choose what i believe but there's just this part of me that's so traditional in a sense. I have to follow guidelines. The biggest issue i have with Neopaganism/Wicca is the multiple Gods. I just have my mind wrapped around this one, whole, everlasting, ever infinite "force" I really dont have a name for but i know is the source of all existence. It's like a blanket that is everywhere, in everything, and flows throughout time and the multiverse. Very Panentheistic. Now, would it be logical to assume that the dividing of God and Goddess could be metaphors within the correlation of the polarities of this "force"? Is it possible in Wicca in general to pray to just one God? To set up your alters and prayers to this one infinite deity?

Ok, this is a two parter. Assuming id gotten part one (above) figured out, how would i go about as a beginner? As stated in the previous post, im not a "nature lover"...more of a nature-neutral-respecter. "The moon is beautiful tonight. It's so mysterious and wondrous. I thank God for creating something so...oh hey, big Bang theory is on!" HAHA! I stare at sunsets. I enjoy the rolling waves and scent of the beach. I thank God everyday that i lived one more day. But as far as "Oh hey there tree, can i steal a leaf from you? Hello there you pretty flower. Can i pick you and kill you for my own selfish practices? (no response) Yes? Why thank you!" Ok, that was sarcastic, but you get the idea. I embrace the modern age and the idea of a "solitary" but i have no clue where to start. In my original thread, a poster mentioned something along the lines of a techie pagan? I googled it and there isnt too much on it. :shrug:

HELP!!!

Okay, it's me again. Didn't think you'd find much of pagans who are techies, but I know some, so I know if you look around you'll eventually find some, too.

What you describe here, yes, does sound like paganism, but there is much more than Wicca to paganism, and there are lots and lots of solitaries who don't go for full-blow Wicca or other major neopagan groups because of, among other things, the reasons you cite. frankly, you sound an awful lot like me in many ways: a solitary eclectic. Clearly, you don't see yourself as an animist, but that's okay, too. Go your own way...make up your own rituals, your own way of worshiping. You don't have to do anything to please anyone else, you need to do what pleases YOU in relation to your religious beliefs and behaviors. You most certainly don't have to explain yourself and your beliefs and behaviors to anyone else. Ever.;^)

graveghoul

Ive gone onto this site and submitted a paper to see if i can get lessons. Day-by-day or rather month-by-month sessions of information. *edit* (I cant post links yet.) Thoughts, anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd just like to point out that being nature-centered doesn't mean you walk on eggshells, nor the realities of death and destruction as aspects of nature. It also certainly doesn't mean you're opposed to technology. It's more about recognizing the sacredness and interconnectedness of all things.

graveghoul

I'd just like to point out that being nature-centered doesn't mean you walk on eggshells, nor the realities of death and destruction as aspects of nature. It also certainly doesn't mean you're opposed to technology. It's more about recognizing the sacredness and interconnectedness of all things.

Now if that is indeed the case, count me in. After much reading on the classical rituals and practices of Paganism and Wicca, as well as the posys and advice on these forums, ive sought to get started. I didnt know exactly what i was doing but i lit a Zen scented incense and called out to God to bless my dwelling and all who dwell here. I went from room to room with the incense stick wafting the smoke into all the corners and repeating my wishes. I know that you can do this with sage to rid evil spirits, but it was the first and only thing i could think of. I let the stick burn a while then extinguished it halfway.

Is what i did along the lines of the correct method for a protection prayer or did i go about it all wrong? Or does it not matter as long as i "willed" it with good intentions? Ive seen too many horror movies on what happens (Evil Dead & The Craft) when a prayer goes wrong. Haha! I know its just a movie and its just Hollywood's take but i dont wanna mess up a "balance" or start this all wrong.

Sapiens

Polymathematician

HELP!!!
Come to Hawaii in winter, walk up to molten lava, go for a swim and look directly into the eye of a fifty-odd foot long humpback whale at a range of a foot or two. If you need more advice after that ... you're out of luck.

graveghoul

Come to Hawaii in winter, walk up to molten lava, go for a swim and look directly into the eye of a fifty-odd foot long humpback whale at a range of a foot or two. If you need more advice after that ... you're out of luck.

Hilarious. ..

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Is what i did along the lines of the correct method for a protection prayer or did i go about it all wrong?

Neopaganism on the whole is not dogmatic, so there is no doing things "wrong" there are simply different traditions and methods of working. Granted, these methods may be more or less effective for a particular task or particular person, but to say some method is "correct" and another "incorrect" is dogmatism and control-freak folks talking. The better question to ask is if it is correct for you and your tradition, not for someone else's. I mean, the fact that what you did is not what I do doesn't mean anything... other than we do things differently. I'm not a dualist and I do not accept the idea of a category of "evil spirits" so I wouldn't do a ritual to banish them. Does this mean you are wrong to do so? Of course not.

Or does it not matter as long as i "willed" it with good intentions? Ive seen too many horror movies on what happens (Evil Dead & The Craft) when a prayer goes wrong. Haha! I know its just a movie and its just Hollywood's take but i dont wanna mess up a "balance" or start this all wrong.

Well, if your goal is to have effective ritual there are some guidelines one can follow. That's a matter of learning some foundations, but I have to run, so I can't really detail that at the moment if you'er interested.

graveghoul

:yes:
Neopaganism on the whole is not dogmatic, so there is no doing things "wrong" there are simply different traditions and methods of working. Granted, these methods may be more or less effective for a particular task or particular person, but to say some method is "correct" and another "incorrect" is dogmatism and control-freak folks talking. The better question to ask is if it is correct for you and your tradition, not for someone else's. I mean, the fact that what you did is not what I do doesn't mean anything... other than we do things differently. I'm not a dualist and I do not accept the idea of a category of "evil spirits" so I wouldn't do a ritual to banish them. Does this mean you are wrong to do so? Of course not.

Well, if your goal is to have effective ritual there are some guidelines one can follow. That's a matter of learning some foundations, but I have to run, so I can't really detail that at the moment if you'er interested.
Thank you so much for the feedback. I suppose it wasn't to banish but to protect. I really appreciate all your advice and am hoping to become more comfortable and master my own. Thank you tons!