1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured ALL RELIGIONS: How do you justify meat eating?

Discussion in 'Interfaith Discussion' started by ronki23, May 23, 2019.

1. The Anointed

The Anointed Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169
    Religion:
    biblical believer
    Cain was a vegetarian, and gave some of his harvest as an offering to God, which offering was rejected, while Abel slaughtered the first born lamb of one of the sheep of his flock and gave the best parts of it as an offering to the Lord, and the Lord was pleased with the offering of Abel. That's good enough for me. I love a nice roasted leg of lamb, with baked potatoes, pumpkin and beans, with gravy and mint capers, yummy, yummy.

2. Road Less Traveled

Road Less Traveled Active Member

Ratings:
    +109
    Some have said that the creature didn’t physically die in vain, or also that it’s better off to no longer have to suffer, battle harsh conditions to survive, run around in circles just doing what it was programmed to do. Or some have said the animal, without choice, made a selfless sacrifice to nourish.

What I cannot justify is the food chain in general. Such a farm factory, and always at the expense of something else. Personally, I’d rather not have to eat. Unfortunately this biological machine has chompers and needs satiated.

If the practice of others is due to texts, perhaps meat can refer to what is being consumed by one’s mind.

I personally don’t judge others by what they eat in a literal sense, as someone else mentioned that a lot of things vegetarians eat were also once living. And even without the food consumption... there are an array of products we use that most are even oblivious to that use the contents of animals.

3. Aupmanyav

Aupmanyav Be your own guru

Ratings:
    +7,718
    Religion:
    I am an advaitist Hindu pagan and a strong atheist.
    "Jeevo jeevasya Bhojanam" (One life form is food for another life form).

"Ahastāni sahastānām, apadāni catuṣ-padām;
    phalgūni tatra mahatāṁ, jīvo jīvasya jīvanam."
    Srimad Bhagawatham 1.13.47

(Those who are devoid of hands are prey for those who have hands; those devoid of legs are prey for the four-legged. The weak are the subsistence of the strong, and the general rule holds that one living being is food for another.)

#103 Aupmanyav, Jun 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. sooda

sooda Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +3,085
    Religion:
    Christian
    My family has always eaten small portions of meat and lots of veggies. For us its about moderation and balance.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Vinayaka

Vinayaka devotee
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12,255
    Religion:
    Saivite Hindu
    God on you for mentioning this.

The mental diet consists of TV we watch, books we read, discussion we enter. If an individual constantly watches violent TV, reads similar books, and enters discussion with like minded hateful individuals, surely he's to be avoided more than some random meat eater.

And yet we have as much self control regarding what enters the mind as what enters the mouth.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Road Less Traveled

Road Less Traveled Active Member

Ratings:
    +109
    If that awareness, self control, and sound compass is developed... I’d agree that such is true.

7. Vinayaka

Vinayaka devotee
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12,255
    Religion:
    Saivite Hindu
    Some people have no self-control with either the mouth or the mind. Others have a great deal of self-control over both.

8. metis

metis aged ecumenical anthropologist

Ratings:
    +12,091
    Religion:
    Catholic-- liberal & ecumenical
    Yep, and that's great, imo.

I actually prefer going avo-lacto vegetarian, and have done so periodically, but my wife has trouble with this because when she has done it with me for an extended period of time, it seems to weaken her immunity system. So, our compromise is to do what you're doing.

9. Goodman John

Goodman John Member

Ratings:
    +119
    Religion:
    Cathar
    I eat meat regularly and I feel there is no need to justify the act. Food is food, period. If one wants to limit themselves as a personal choice (and yes, following one's religious tenets is a personal choice) that's their business.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Wandering Monk

Wandering Monk Active Member

Ratings:
    +510
    Religion:
    agnostic
    Wonder how other carnivores justify eating meat?

Humans have canine teeth for tearing things. We evolved to be omnivores.

11. Saint Frankenstein

Saint Frankenstein ᛘᛁᛏᚾᛁᚴᚼᛏ᛫ᛋᚢᚾ
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +13,632
    Religion:
    Germanic Folk Revival
    No need to justify it as we are animals and meat eating is part of nature. Humans are not above nature. All lifeforms must feed on other lifeforms to survive. I believe scientific research has shown that our meat eating habits helped our brains to grow so large. Vedic Hinduism wasn't vegetarian, either. They sacrificed animals like all Indo-European peoples did, as the Proto-Indo-Europeans were pastoralists who raised cattle for trade and sustenance. The popularity of vegetarianism in India seems to be a later occurance due to the influence of Buddhism and Jainism.

#111 Saint Frankenstein, Jul 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  12. The Reverend Bob

The Reverend Bob Fart Machine and Beastmaster

Ratings:
    +1,742
    Religion:
    Non-realist
    I don't believe in karma

• Like Like x 1
  13. Saint Frankenstein

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +13,632
    Religion:
    Germanic Folk Revival
    I assume this God created nature, right? So he created animals to eat each other. Take it up with him. Sometimes humans are eaten, too.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Saint Frankenstein

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +13,632
    Religion:
    Germanic Folk Revival
    You don't spend much time around trees, do you? Some trees are thousands of years old. True ancients, but you belittle them.

15. Saint Frankenstein

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +13,632
    Religion:
    Germanic Folk Revival
    It's already hard enough to get nutritious food, yet you want to punish poor people more. It's like how raising the cost of cigs is just punishing poor and working class people more. Upper class people can still afford those things and often pay more for higher quality products anyway. Fish, lean meat and chicken are very good for you so trying to punish people for eating it is unconscionable and extreme.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Saint Frankenstein

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +13,632
    Religion:
    Germanic Folk Revival
    You're wrong about the appendix: Your Appendix Might Serve an Important Biological Function After All

As for cannibalism, much of that was more likely eating of dead bodies and not actually killing people to eat them. It's hard to find accurate information about this since a lot of it comes from atrocity propaganda from colonialism or by some other enemy discussing a group.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Aupmanyav

Ratings:
    +7,718
    Religion:
    It is also a matter of tradition. If my community is non-veg., then being non-veg. is no harm to me. Going any further than that is a personal choice. I would say it is good, if you can manage it. But I won't force myself to it.
    And even that is limited to 30% Hindus. 70% are non-vegetarians.
    You mean you believe your actions have no consequences? If they have, then it is 'karma'. :)
    If the Buddhists think that way, they need to revise their thinking.
    All the time and I am sure of that. The electrons, neutrons and protons in Sodium and Chlorine part of salt have always been whirring just like they do in a human body. 'All this here is Brahman' (Sarvam Khalu Idam Brahma).

#117 Aupmanyav, Jul 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  18. Aupmanyav

Ratings:
    +7,718
    Religion:
    There are life forms which you cannot put clearly in either vegetable kingdom or in Animal kingdom.
    Is it a plant? Is it an animal? Meet the organisms who don't like labels
    https://www.google.com/search?q=life+forms+which+are+nither+vegetation+nor+animals
    Ah, like the mango tree from which I got the mangoes. Just like the cow from which I got the milk for my tea. Best of both worlds.
    "Murgā bhi nahin marā, aur khāne wāle ko bhi mazā āyā"
    (The cock also was not killed, and the eater also got his pleasure). :D

#118 Aupmanyav, Jul 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  19. ajay0

ajay0 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,039
    Well, I have seen people who have had appendix operations, years back, and they seem fine to me.

Laparoscopic Appendix Removal (Appendectomy) Surgery Patient Information

20. Saint Frankenstein

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +13,632
    Religion:
    Germanic Folk Revival
    • Winner Winner x 1