• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"All Notions of Deity are Necessarily False"

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Do you believe that "all notions of deity are necessarily false"? Why or why not?

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
Ah. Well, i am one to disagree with the statement.

Liu

I disagree as well. While most notions probably are false (if only because many contradict each other) I don't see any reason why not at least one may be correct. I don't know which one - I believe in the one which currently makes most sense to me.
The only argument for your thesis which I could think of would be to assume that divinity is incomprehensible anyway, which would make any try to have a notion of it futile. But that assumption doesn't seem proven to me. And even if it were the case that the divine is incomprehensible then nevertheless notions of it may at least hold true for aspects of it.

Liu

@LuisDantas: Just for the record, may you provide one such example you deem typical?

Another argument against the thesis of this thread: There are notions of deity that are true by definition. To take one not too far from reality: If I define as a deity a concept that I venerate, without there being a need for that concept to exist anywhere but in my own mind, then my notion of that deity/concept would be necessarily true as long as I have it and venerate it.
One could however argue that this definition of deity (and by extension also the concept related to it) could be considered false if there are actual deities outside of oneself. But then this is merely semantics.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Do you believe that "all notions of deity are necessarily false"? Why or why not?
It seems to me that there exists two options:
  • There is no deity, therefore "all notions of deity are necessarily false".
  • Otherwise, at the very least one can view deity as ineffable.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
@LuisDantas: Just for the record, may you provide one such example you deem typical?

I tend to expect pretty much all non-Abrahamic beliefs not to obsess about whether their deities are true or false.

As I understand typical religious practice, it is not nearly so much worth considering whether the deity is real as it is whether it has an use in one's personal practice. Any deities are by definition real for those who believe in them.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
In the sense that the maps ("notions") humans come up with of the territory are not the territory, there is some truth to the statement, but to call the maps "necessarily false" is as misleading as mistaking the map for the territory.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
In order to view something like a dieity as being true, I'd certainly would like to see just exactly what it is that actually makes it true.

Otherwise all such notions most certainly are false without doubt until something happens that puts the matter to rest.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
There's no argument. I'm tossing the proposition out for discussion without necessarily arguing for or against it. I'm curious what people make of it.
Alright. Then without bringing what I believe into it, what I make of it is more about its author than about it. So I'll refrain.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
How would being a theist require one to believe at least some notions of deity are true? Is it possible to be a theist yet believe deity is ineffable?
Can't a deity be ineffable and true?

Edit: I suppose this might be off-topic, as it turns toward what "true" is (i.e. not necessarily an "eff.") So nevermind.