• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All members! Attention please.....about abortion, capital punishment, and other hot-button topics

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
We have noticed recently a surge of very sensitive debate topics lately on the boards. It's imperative that all of our members maintain outstanding civility, grace, and integrity despite the emotions that can be triggered from discussing abortion or capital punishment (although abortion has now been the hot-button topic du jour, but the same can be said for homosexual marriage, or political platforms, or the war in Iraq, and on and on and on).

It is perfectly understandable that anyone can find themselves angered toward a position........but please refrain from directing that hostility toward people.

I understand that recognizing this anger displacement is far easier said than done. However, in order to maintain the mission statement of RF, the staff urges all members to find a way to rise to the occasion, to post and to respond within the rules, to keep emotions in check, to learn how to walk away from time to time to cool off - and to remember when you hit that "submit" button on your post, there is a human being on the other side reading your words.

Remember that you could be angry with another member's point of view. Take a breath.

Remember that someone else could be angry with your point of view. Take another breath.

And because I'm such a good nag (ask my husband), I personally recommend for everyone who participates in the hot-button threads to refresh yourself from time to time with the forum rules and mission statement found here.

Love y'all. :hugehug:

Last edited by a moderator:
It is perfectly reasonable to hold a respectful debate without disrespecting or negatively criticizing anyone.
All one has to do is acknowledge and respect the fact that EVERYONE (regardless of their background and other individual differences) is completely entitled to their own personal opinion. If all one can show is ignorance and hostility, then it is most probable that nobody will respect their opinions as well... even if their point of view may have outstanding merit.
Just remember that a clear head and an open mind will put you on the fast track to enlightenment!
(^_^)

joea

Oshoyoi
Remember that you could be angry with another member's point of view. Take a breath.
Remember that someone else could be angry with your point of view. Take another breath.
:hugehug:
I totally agree....you could also block your right nostril and breath through your left nostril. Breathing through the left side nostril is the passive side of you.....don't believe me?. TRY IT.

Last edited:

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
What if the idiot on the other end is wrong?

I made that announcement when I was admin. I'm retired now and would rather throw a shoe at 'em.

But see now you'll have to deal with guys like Quagmire as admin. And depending on how much he's had to drink.....well.....let's just say that I'm impressed he hasn't banned himself accidentally. :D

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
What if the idiot on the other end is wrong?
even worse, what if not only is the idiot wrong, but they repeatedly post articles and links to articles that show just how wrong they are, but insist that the articles prove they are right?

Tiapan

Grumpy Old Man
If an even handed approach is used, fair enough, but some groups here seem more protected than others. I suppose if you didn't protect them preferentially they would not come to the site so we would miss out on their rather different viewpoint interpretations. Unfortunately I cannot cite examples as I would be in breach of the rules of this forum. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Cheers.

Last edited:

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
If an even handed approach is used, fair enough, but some groups here seem more protected than others. I suppose if you didn't protect them preferentially they would not come to the site so we would miss out on their rather different viewpoint interpretations. Unfortunately I cannot cite examples as I would be in breach of the rules of this forum. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Cheers.
Make a post in site feed back.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Make a post in site feed back.

There isn't a side, faction, political party, group, or special interest on RF that does not feel we treat the "other guys" better than we treat them. We get that same accusation from all sides, so I reckon we're doing something right.

Iti oj

Premium Member
There isn't a side, faction, political party, group, or special interest on RF that does not feel we treat the "other guys" better than we treat them. We get that same accusation from all sides, so I reckon we're doing something right.
Well i feel the staff is truly unbiased.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Well i feel the staff is truly unbiased.

I think all humans are biased to some extent, but the staff here tends to counter those biases by requiring a consensus of at least three staff members in order to take action.

Iti oj

Premium Member
and i think any one who feels differently has not read the rules or mission statement.