• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All Dogs Go to Heaven

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Those of you that thought that I wanted entertain a debate about the Disney movie are probably going to be disappointed. Sorry to burst anyone's bubble.

I've referenced a couple of times on this forum the principle reason for my departure from Catholicism and ultimately Christianity. But for the purpose of this thread, I'll reiterate it here:

When I was a wee lad, I attended CCD. During one of the classes, we were discussing what happens to people when they die. When the nun discussed the concept of Heaven, she only mentioned people. I had a nagging question on my mind so I raised my hand. When called upon, I asked, "Do animals go to Heaven, too?"

Mind you I've felt a connection with animals and nature from a very young age. Imagine my dismay with I was met with the response, "No, only people go to heaven. Animals do not have souls." Ultimately I argued my viewpoint, but was promptly shut down.

This drove a wedge between me and Catholicism, and thus began my journey seeking paths that accepted what I knew deep down to be true.

So here is my question:

What does your religion teach you about those beings other than humans and the afterlife? Do you accept these teachings, or feel they're not quite right but you follow them anyway because it is a part of your belief structure?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Those of you that thought that I wanted entertain a debate about the Disney movie are probably going to be disappointed. Sorry to burst anyone's bubble.

I've referenced a couple of times on this forum the principle reason for my departure from Catholicism and ultimately Christianity. But for the purpose of this thread, I'll reiterate it here:

When I was a wee lad, I attended CCD. During one of the classes, we were discussing what happens to people when they die. When the nun discussed the concept of Heaven, she only mentioned people. I had a nagging question on my mind so I raised my hand. When called upon, I asked, "Do animals go to Heaven, too?"

Mind you I've felt a connection with animals and nature from a very young age. Imagine my dismay with I was met with the response, "No, only people go to heaven. Animals do not have souls." Ultimately I argued my viewpoint, but was promptly shut down.

This drove a wedge between me and Catholicism, and thus began my journey seeking paths that accepted what I knew deep down to be true.

So here is my question:

What does your religion teach you about those beings other than humans and the afterlife? Do you accept these teachings, or feel they're not quite right but you follow them anyway because it is a part of your belief structure?

I don't have a connection with animals because of my childhood experiences. Though, I believe everything, body, and animal living has a spirit or soul. They all have spirit-breathe of life. They all have a soul-the character of their nature. I am a pantheist and animist; so, that's what I believe since I don't know when. I have a deep connection with nature.

I can only think of one Buddhist sect that believes in souls in animals and plants is the TenTai sect if I'm not mistaken.

As for heaven, what your teacher said was inappropriate. The bible doesn't speak of animals going to heaven or hell. It says that every animal and person has given the breathe of god (Genesis). We go through a cycle in life and we see it all the time in the weather, the planet, and so forth. We do the same. So, if you have pets, your pet's spirit does not become non existent because once the breathe of life is given it doesn't disappear. You may not know the pet as you know your loved one physically but the breathe once given it's "everyone's." It's shared. It always exists.

We choose to call this breathe the actual person because we have souls which are the characters that define our spirit and mind/body. So, if our souls do not die and our life/breathe does not die, why would pets and animals cease to exist because they change form?

In Catholicism, no. Animals can't take the Eucharist of course ;) but they have the breathe of life just as god gave it to them. I wouldn't put too much stock into CCD. I heard so much things about it that I'm glad I had came in as an adult. Heaven is union with god and hell is separation from god. When an animal dies, his flesh, like humans, die. The breathe goes back to god which it came (in the bible).

The difference is animals don't have a relationship with christ. So their union with god is based purely on the same state they were in in the beginning. It was humans that s/uped. up. Animals are innocent.

I can see why your teacher says they don't go to heaven since they don't believe in christ. But I would have phrased it that they die and their soul goes back to god which is different than a human who has a relationship with god. They both are good just the nature of the relationships are different.

Last edited:

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN

So here is my question:

If I were a believer in heaven, - I'd have to agree with you.

Mister Silver

Faith's Nightmare
I'm no physics major, but wouldn't the density of the life form increase or decrease the rate of decay or burn, thus making them not burn or rot equally?

Good question. The word "equal" has varying meanings.

having adequate powers, ability, or means

Fire is equal to the task of burning all life just as burial is equal to the task of rotting all life.

DavidFirth

So here is my question:

No. The Bible is the absolute word of God. I have no doubt about it. I accept God's word and am thankful for it.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
No. The Bible is the absolute word of God. I have no doubt about it. I accept God's word and am thankful for it.

The Bible is the written words of MEN. This is obvious by the things men want to do, - THAT IT ALLOWS. Multiple wives, owning women, slaves, sex slaves concubines, killing those whom don't agree with you, killing those whom are different, acts of revenge against the women and children associated with your enemy- rather then the enemy himself, etc.

DavidFirth

The Bible is the written words of MEN. This is obvious by the things men want to do, - THAT IT ALLOWS. Multiple wives, owning women, slaves, sex slaves concubines, killing those whom don't agree with you, killing those whom are different, acts of revenge against the women and children associated with your enemy- rather then the enemy himself, etc.

Due to your obvious bias against the Bible I will not discuss it with you. The fact that you think the Bible is such a horrible book is well known to me.

DavidFirth

In my religion animals don't have souls but since I'm liberal it wouldn't be an issue for me to have someone believe they do have souls as part of my congregation.

Well, that just makes all kinds of good sense. In other words it's okay for adherents of your religion to just ignore it's teachings in favor of their own. Be careful, your congregation might just turn into a free for all.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Due to your obvious bias against the Bible I will not discuss it with you. The fact that you think the Bible is such a horrible book is well known to me.

Answer me honest, though.

When I read Edgar Allan Poe's poem, The Raven, I hear of (if I remember) a man torn within himself of suicide and depression. He personifies this as someone "knocking at his door" but the poem is very moving and it touches me so. It's about death, suicide, depression, and a raven...and it's a good poem. Oxymon for some but not for me.

The bible does have killing, murder, rape, human sacrifice, and so forth. You would have to be blind not to notice it written. But I'm not talking about the murder itself. If it happened it did, if not like The Raven, so be.

But, my question is, where do you get the inspiration from these writings in the bible? When Abraham offered his son, to me if I were a mother I'd be horrified, yet Christians worship god regardless of this. Whether it's true, false, bad, or good is not my point. Where do you find the inspiration in this story, lesson, or moral?​

If someone asked me how I got inspiration from watching Amadeus (good movie by the way), I would tell them. It was so beautifully done that from all the torment the main character had in his heart and what he did made me see why he did it and I didn't congratulate him on his deed. I am against it fully. That's not why I like the movie.

So, I assume you don't like The Bible if it were specifically about killing. Since it does have killing in it, what inspires you about it to overlook what's written for what you are inspired by?​

-

I'll end with what I remember @Deeje saying to me once. "Regardless if Catholicism brings people to christ and they do good things, why would a christian want to believe in anything with pagan elements in it?"

So, I ask... regardless of how the bible inspires you, why would you believe something that has crime in it-especially death by means of salvation?

(Deeje you can answer too if you like)

DavidFirth

Answer me honest, though.

When I read Edgar Allan Poe's poem, The Raven, I hear of (if I remember) a man torn within himself of suicide and depression. He personifies this as someone "knocking at his door" but the poem is very moving and it touches me so. It's about death, suicide, depression, and a raven...and it's a good poem. Oxymon for some but not for me.

The bible does have killing, murder, rape, human sacrifice, and so forth. You would have to be blind not to notice it written. But I'm not talking about the murder itself. If it happened it did, if not like The Raven, so be.

But, my question is, where do you get the inspiration from these writings in the bible? When Abraham offered his son, to me if I were a mother I'd be horrified, yet Christians worship god regardless of this. Whether it's true, false, bad, or good is not my point. Where do you find the inspiration in this story, lesson, or moral?​

If someone asked me how I got inspiration from watching Amadeus (good movie by the way), I would tell them. It was so beautifully done that from all the torment the main character had in his heart and what he did made me see why he did it and I didn't congratulate him on his deed. I am against it fully. That's not why I like the movie.

So, I assume you don't like The Bible if it were specifically about killing. Since it does have killing in it, what inspires you about it to overlook what's written for what you are inspired by?​

-

I'll end with what I remember @Deeje saying to me once. "Regardless if Catholicism brings people to christ and they do good things, why would a christian want to believe in anything with pagan elements in it?"

So, I ask... regardless of how the bible inspires you, why would you believe something that has crime in it-especially death by means of salvation?

(Deeje you can answer too if you like)

Satan deceives people and has been since he deceived Eve in the garden. He keeps using the same lies and they just keep on working. He questioned Eve by outright lying and then deceived her about the only command God gave her. When will people learn to trust in God and Him only?

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

So here is my question:

Hinduism talks about reincarnation. Thus all dogs, cats, squirrels and rats pass through many lives in many different life forms till they achieve liberation and becomes one with Brahman.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
I thank God for His revelations to me. I do not share your opinions so this discussion is over.

I don't have to discuss it. All I have to do is post the verses as proof.

And of course we can go into the ridiculous as well. - talking snakes, talking donkeys, birds providing care for people, three days in a big fish under the ocean - and surviving, dead people crawling out of the ground when Jesus died and touring the city, etc.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Satan deceives people and has been since he deceived Eve in the garden. He keeps using the same lies and they just keep on working. He questioned Eve by outright lying and then deceived her about the only command God gave her. When will people learn to trust in God and Him only?

There is no mention of Satan in the garden of Eden. Later Christians decide that.

BSM1

What? Me worry?

So here is my question:

Excuse me if I disagree with your initial premise; this is truly Disneyism at it's finest. Do you actually believe you will possess the same-or any- physical body in a spiritually transcendent dimension such as "Heaven"? If not, why would you believe there will be "animals" trodding the "...streets of gold.."? If this is you belief, then God Bless you, but I have a serious problem with the idea that some hound is going to cock his leg and pee on the "Pearly Gates".