• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Aliens? Lasers? Water? What Caused the Al Naslaa Rock to Split So Precisely?

We Never Know

No Slack
What do you think caused it?

"Theories abound about the origin of the Al Naslaa rock formation, but the genesis of this massive geological phenomenon is likely to remain a mystery.

Located in Saudi Arabia's Tayma Oasis — the site of Saudi Arabia's oldest human settlement — Al Naslaa is comprised of twin sandstone rocks, balanced atop naturally formed pedestals — with a smooth gap running vertically between them, so precise it looks as if it was carved with a laser beam.

Scientists can't explain exactly how the 4,000-year-old geological formation was split down the middle, but the side-by-side boulders — each 20 feet (6 meters) tall — have the additional lure of visible petroglyphs that are thousands of years old. One of the most notable glyphs carved into the sandstone is an image of a person leading a horse that resembles an Arabian, one of the world's oldest horse breeds still in existence whose origins can be traced to Saudi Arabia in the seventh century, well before Al Naslaa was carved by human hands.

Ancient Gods, Aliens, Lasers or Just Water?
These perfectly balanced boulders have been the subject of many an origin story, with perhaps the most bizarre being space aliens. Social media users, including news aggregate Acerca del Mundo on its Facebook page, have pondered whether the precise cut could have been made by alien visitors possessing advanced technology.

"Some believe that this is the creation of the ancient gods or aliens. Considering that the formation looks as if it had been cut by a well-aimed laser, some believe that an alien descended into the Tayma Oasis and shattered the rock with advanced technology not available to humans in the formation of it," Acerca del Mundo posted.

Others believe the rock sits upon a fault line. This theory posits that the split in the rock was created when a weak spot was affected by a shift in tectonic plates.

Another theory posits that a "joint" within the rock may have split. A joint is an area within a rock, in this case sandstone, that becomes worn away and then separates the larger formation. Notably, joints found within sandstone rocks like Al Naslaa are more likely to exhibit vertical separations.

A freeze-thaw weather cycle could be credited with the Al Nalsaa formation, according to a third theory. If water seeped into the ancient boulder when it was still in one piece, then froze and expanded and later thawed, a crack would have formed and eventually divided the boulder.

Another interesting suggestion is that ancient humans are responsible for the awe-inspiring crack. Evidence remains that an unknown ancient civilization carved images into the rock, so it is possible these same people may have used tools to divide the rock into two large pieces, perhaps as artistic expression.

Whatever the cause of the split, the incredibly smooth edges were probably once jagged, then worn down and polished by thousands of years of blowing sand. Nature may be the most creative artist of all.

Aliens? Lasers? Water? What Caused the Al Naslaa Rock to Split So Precisely?

IMG_20220827_223330.jpg

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
All it takes is an education of how atoms bond and the manner by which those bond break that creates such phenomenon.

Man-made or through natural means.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Sounds like a good way for someone with a big saw to get tourists to visit the area and come in to his coffee shop.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Is there any proof that the rock has actually been cleaved in two, given that some of the markings don't seem to align properly, and that the faces might have been 'worked upon' in some manner?

HonestJoe

I don't know, but I also don't know why "I don't know" so often leads some people to leap to extreme theories like aliens with some kind of advanced technology without any evidence such things even exist.

There are plenty of natural processes and/or human interventions which could have created this, even given the coincidence of it's apparent perfection. Given all of those natural processes are known to be generally possible, having been seen to occur and studied elsewhere, it seems irrational to dismiss all of those out of hand just because we don't know exactly which one (or ones) were involved.

Also, the very last line of this article presents a major issue for lot of the wilder ideas and the false assumptions that are intentionally pushed when it is said it looks like it was cut with a laser; "Whatever the cause of the split, the incredibly smooth edges were probably once jagged, then worn down and polished by thousands of years of blowing sand."

I appreciate this is boring and isn't going to sell any books or TV shows but it's still true.

Nimos

It's sandstone, right?

So in that case I think they have simply sawn it like all the other rocks, but for some reason, they might not have needed this one.

Sandstone is quite soft compared to other rocks, so I guess they could pretty much have done it using a piece of wood and simply dragged it back and forth on top of grains of sand, maybe mixed with a bit of water so it would work like a saw. They also had access to copper so could have made tools from that as well.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
First one large boulder sat upon two pedestals for a long time enduring hot and cold cycles. Rather than cracking quickly, it cracked many many times precisely along that vertical cut. That is my genius intuition, so you know it is what really happened.

Ok so now you know how the crack was made, but how did it get so perfectly spaced? Every year ice would form and freeze right in the crack (on the underside of the boulder), breaking the rock a little at a time. The reason that the spacing is perfect is that 1. the freezing, contraction and expansion happened the same amount every season or year. 2. The crystalline structure of the rock is relatively large making it crumbly.

Lets publish this in Nature.

Brian2

Veteran Member
So did an alien provide that saw 4,000 years ago :p

I don't know where the saw would have come from but I don't think anyone knows how long the split has been there, so it could have come from the local hardware store or fallen off the back of a truck.

Brian2

Veteran Member
It's sandstone, right?

So in that case I think they have simply sawn it like all the other rocks, but for some reason, they might not have needed this one.

Sandstone is quite soft compared to other rocks, so I guess they could pretty much have done it using a piece of wood and simply dragged it back and forth on top of grains of sand, maybe mixed with a bit of water so it would work like a saw. They also had access to copper so could have made tools from that as well.

Good answer. Harder stone also could have been used to cut the softer stone.