• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alien reptile cult murder

QuestioningMind

Only adjudicated mental illness. They'd have to do something requiring legal action. Since there is no test, any wacko can vote....which apparently they did in the last several elections. :D

A firearm is just a tool. An inert piece of metal like a car or a shovel. It requires a human being to use it. Ergo, the guns aren't the problem. We could have guns lying all about the streets and they'd never do anyone any harm unless someone tripped over them. A better mental health care system and the legislation to back it up means you'd get what you desire: separating the mentally ill from guns...and also cars, shovels, hammers, axes, etc. Most mentally ill are more of a threat to themselves than others, hence why we have over 44,000 suicides each year but less than half of that murders, about 17,000.

A better mental health care system and the legislation to back it up means you'd get what you desire: separating the mentally ill from guns...

And we're back to my original post. I'd LOVE for out government to get its act together and deal with the mental health issues in the country. But UNTIL that happens, the least we can do is implement universal background checks so mentally deranged people can't get guns.

Oh, and YES, a gun is just a tool, Guns don't kill people, people kill people. BUT a person with a GUN can kill people FAR easier and more efficiently that a person WITHOUT a gun. Personally, if a mentally deranged person is going to go on a killing spree, I'm prefer to make it as difficult for them as possible. Let's force them to make an effort and use a knife or a baseball bat... let's NOT make it as easy as possible for them to obtain deadly firearms.

Audie

Veteran Member
A better mental health care system and the legislation to back it up means you'd get what you desire: separating the mentally ill from guns...

And we're back to my original post. I'd LOVE for out government to get its act together and deal with the mental health issues in the country. But UNTIL that happens, the least we can do is implement universal background checks so mentally deranged people can't get guns.

Oh, and YES, a gun is just a tool, Guns don't kill people, people kill people. BUT a person with a GUN can kill people FAR easier and more efficiently that a person WITHOUT a gun. Personally, if a mentally deranged person is going to go on a killing spree, I'm prefer to make it as difficult for them as possible. Let's force them to make an effort and use a knife or a baseball bat... let's NOT make it as easy as possible for them to obtain deadly firearms.

It is well to think in terms of the "law of unintended consequences".

If you have people determined to kill as many
as they can, it may be that depriving them of a
gun may result in their turning to far more deadly
things.

QuestioningMind

It is well to think in terms of the "law of unintended consequences".

If you have people determined to kill as many
as they can, it may be that depriving them of a
gun may result in their turning to far more deadly
things.

You would have a point, if far more deadly things were as easy to obtain as firearms are. But generally that's not the case. If it was then countries that have strict gun control laws would be reporting far more mass bombings and such. It simply hasn't happened elsewhere.

Audie

Veteran Member
You would have a point, if far more deadly things were as easy to obtain as firearms are. But generally that's not the case. If it was then countries that have strict gun control laws would be reporting far more mass bombings and such. It simply hasn't happened elsewhere.

I am going to make no suggestions, but you are
quite mistaken about availability.

QuestioningMind

I am going to make no suggestions, but you are
quite mistaken about availability.

If you say so. Is this something you're not going to mention not available in countries with strict gun control laws? If it is, do these countries have a large issue with this something being used for mass killings?

Audie

Veteran Member
If you say so. Is this something you're not going to mention not available in countries with strict gun control laws? If it is, do these countries have a large issue with this something being used for mass killings?

I dont care to play 20 questions.
Or argue.
What I said about unintended consequences
is valid.
I am not a sociologist who knows why
people do what they do, or how where they
are affects it.

QuestioningMind

I dont care to play 20 questions.
Or argue.
What I said about unintended consequences
is valid.
I am not a sociologist who knows why
people do what they do, or how where they
are affects it.

Not intending to argue or play 20 questions with you. Just wondering if these unintended consequences have actually happened in nations where people don't have easy access to guns. If the answer is yes, then it should be discussed. If the answer is no, then it probably won't be an issue here either.

Road Warrior

Seeking the middle path..

Dude, you don't get it. You're putting the cart before the horse. James Hodgkinson, James Holmes and Stephen Paddock, among others, acquired their firearms legally and with a background check. Even Dylann Roof acquired his handgun legally even though the FBI admitted they dropped the ball on allowing the sale.

Fix the mental health care system and supporting legislation. That goes a long ways toward stopping both suicides and murders.

QuestioningMind

Dude, you don't get it. You're putting the cart before the horse. James Hodgkinson, James Holmes and Stephen Paddock, among others, acquired their firearms legally and with a background check. Even Dylann Roof acquired his handgun legally even though the FBI admitted they dropped the ball on allowing the sale.

Fix the mental health care system and supporting legislation. That goes a long ways toward stopping both suicides and murders.

Why are you so opposed to taking steps to keep guns out of the hands of mentally unstable people? The only reason I can think of is because you know you'd fail a background check.

Road Warrior

Why are you so opposed to taking steps to keep guns out of the hands of mentally unstable people? The only reason I can think of is because you know you'd fail a background check.
I’m not. Why are you so anxious to treat lawful gun owners as criminals instead of trying to save lives?

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
Great Britain has some pretty strict gun control and they are experiencing a rash of knife crimes. People will find a way.

QuestioningMind

Great Britain has some pretty strict gun control and they are experiencing a rash of knife crimes. People will find a way.

Of course they will. But as I stated in a previous post, I'd MUCH rather have someone going on a murderous rampage with a knife than with a gun. At least then they have to work up a sweat, instead of killing people with as little effort as it takes to change the TV channel with a remote.

Road Warrior

How exactly do you imagine that lawful gun owners will be treated as 'criminals'?
Further restricting rights without due process. Banning private sales. Under your proposal, as in California, a father can't give his 12 year old son a single shot .22 rifle for Christmas without traipsing down to the Ministry of Truth to give the kid a background check to see if he's a drug addict, sexual offender or some other form of criminal.

QuestioningMind

Further restricting rights without due process. Banning private sales. Under your proposal, as in California, a father can't give his 12 year old son a single shot .22 rifle for Christmas without traipsing down to the Ministry of Truth to give the kid a background check to see if he's a drug addict, sexual offender or some other form of criminal.

Gosh... I bet you felt like a 'criminal' when the government forced you to go down to the DMV to get a license to drive your car, huh? And as a father, it must be devastating that you're forced to make your sixteen year old prove he's competent enough to drive before he's issued a license. Such HORRIBLE violations you must suffer! OR it's just all a part of living in a civil society where people have the right to expect that people driving cars have at least the minimal requirements to use a car safely.