• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Algebra Question for Fun (as Requested!)

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Okay, I'll go with an algebra question today per the vote here!

A person weighing 450 lbs has been losing 2.56% of their weight each month due to a diet and workout regimen. What will the person weigh after 15 months of losing weight on the regimen, i.e., after 16 months from now?

For the sake of clarity, go with 15 months as the duration for your calculations.

Also, for further clarity: the 2.56% weight loss applies to the 450 lbs only in the first month of weight loss and then to each new weight every month after, not to the original 450 lbs.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Okay, I'll go with an algebra question today per the vote here!

A person weighing 450 lbs has been losing 2.56% of their weight each month due to a diet and workout regimen. What will the person weigh after 15 months of losing weight on the regimen, i.e., after 16 months from now?

For the sake of clarity, go with 15 months as the duration for your calculations.
Is this 2.56% based on initial weight or the weight of each month?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
One month of losing 2.56% is the same as multiplying by (1-.0256) = .9744. Therefore if we do this 15 times it is the original weight times .9744 raised to the 15th power.
450 Lb x pow(.9744, 15) = 304.98 Lb

Misunderstood

Weight in spoiler.

However, I say there are to many undefined variables. Like are they male or female? Are they highly self conscious of their weight, or slightly self conscious? etc. The answers to these questions would bring us to a probably question. What is the likelihood the 450 pounds stated in the OP is the actual weight? Then we would need to determine the actual weight differential based on these other factors.

But instead of figuring the answer, from their beginning weight, we could ask their final weight. In which case the answer would be 110 pounds. After 15 months of continual weight loss, anyone would want it to be an ideal weight.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Well it's become apparent to me that my go-to strategy is to hack a little code. But I'm resisting the urge to code, to see if I can figure out some algebra...

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
One month of losing 2.56% is the same as multiplying by (1-.0256) = .9744. Therefore if we do this 15 times it is the original weight times .9744 raised to the 15th power.
450 Lb x pow(.9744, 15) = 304.98 Lb
Yup. This one I totally forgot how to work out algebraicly and couldn't think it through.