• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alex Jones to pay 49.3 million in Sandy Hook civil case.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
@Twilight Hue , one of the reasons hat punitive damages exist is that paying for the damages is not a deterrent if one is rich. If one makes more money off of causing people misery than it legally costs them to do so they have no incentive to quit. Alex Jones made hundreds of millions of dollars off of his lies. If he is only fined a few million dollars there is no reason for him to stop. He will just pay a few million more sometime in the future while making a hundred million more off of the pain and suffering of others. That is why punitive damages exist. To keep the guilty party from continuing in a destructive behavior.

I worked for a business with the business model of not minding too much when they got fines and fees. They made more off of being fined occasionally since their profits were more than enough to make up for the fines. It was not a nice place to work. They had to be careful because they were always on the verge of more serious punitive penalties being accessed.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Sadly, the most likely outcome will be that he monetizes this "victimization" at the hands of the "deep state."
Taken at face value, given that America is so deranged these days, it's not possible to say with any confidence whether this comment is taking the *** or is serious.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Censorship by economy.

Alex is a nutball but silencing people because they don't like him is authoritarian.
Silenced? He’s got a multimillion dollar platform to spew his nonsense. At least that’s the impression I get. Please correct me if I’m wrong here

You can say what you want. Sure
But I was under the impression that in America, if you yell “fire” in a crowded theatre, you will face consequences? Meaning that even in the US there are limits, legally speaking
Indeed hate speech was supposedly a line drawn in the sand in regards to free speech?
I thought inciting hatred or violence was against US law?
I mean I’m not an American, so forgive my ignorance

Mr Alan “they’re turning the freaking frogs gay” Jones did incite hatred against the families of victims of a school massacre. I’ll reiterate just because that’s beyond despicable, but he allegedly incited hatred towards families who literally lost children in a massive school shooting. That’s just…wow

If you did that in literally any civilised country on earth, which all have freedom of speech on their laws, you’d be sued into oblivion. And that’s the good outcome for you.

Because in a civilised society you are held accountable for your own actions and sometimes your words. That’s called being an adult
Is that not the case in the US?
Geez!
So many “US is so uncivilised” jokes come to mind right now ;)

Last edited:

Clara Tea

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/alex-jones-damages-sandy-hook-shooting-1.6542279

First it was 4.1 million in compensatory damages and just now another 45.2 million in punitive damages.

This amount may yet change, but there are still other cases to come.

“Alex Jones has learned that 'speech is free, but lies you have to pay for,' says lawyer”

Jury awards parents of Sandy Hook shooting victim $4.1 million in defamation case against Alex Jones

This is a good website about Jones telling lies about the Sandy Hook shooting.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Censorship by economy.

Alex is a nutball but silencing people because they don't like him is authoritarian.
There is a difference, I think, between censorship and punishment for lies that do harm to others. If you don't think harming others deliberately is wrong, why do you disagree with murder and rape?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
What exactly does that damage entail?
He accused the family of a murdered child of concocting the whole story. If that were true -- or deemed to be true -- do you think that would not damage the social and moral reputation of those parents?

Let me put it another way -- let's say Alex Jones went on his podcast and claimed, falsely, that Chuck Schumer raped his sister. Do you think that might have a tendency to do some damage to Schumer, if believed?

I do not believe there is the slightest whiff of difference between the two scenarios.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I'm not sure I like financially punishing a comedian for their act.

"Sandy Hook is a synthetic completely fake with actors, in my view, manufactured. I couldn’t believe it at first. I knew they had actors there, clearly, but I thought they killed some real kids. And it just shows how bold they are, that they clearly used actors. I mean they even ended up using photos of kids killed in mass shootings here in a fake mass shooting in Turkey -- so yeah, or Pakistan. The sky is now the limit."

PolitiFact - Alex Jones said Sandy Hook slayings 'pretty much didn't happen'

Funny stuff.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You already made it clear that you have no clue quite a while ago. A factual claim cannot be an ad hom.
To claim factuality is no defense for a personal attack.
(Oh, the horrid things I could say to posters here if
being correct were license to violate the forum spirit.)
The definition of "ad hominem" applies even if one
is accurate.
Let's stick to the issues, & not attack each other, eh.
Otherwise mods might weigh in. We don't want that.
Ref...
Ad hominem - Wikipedia

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
There is a difference, I think, between censorship and punishment for lies that do harm to others. If you don't think harming others deliberately is wrong, why do you disagree with murder and rape?
He was punished. 4 million compensation, so Justice was served.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
But I was under the impression that in America, if you yell “fire” in a crowded theatre, you will face consequences? Meaning that even in the US there are limits, legally speaking.
Actually it's legal to yell fire in a theater. If there is a fire.

Jones was justifiably punished with 4 million payed to the families.

So when did additional punitive measures become to the point in society to where its essentially now 12 times on top of an orginal award?

Punitive Damages and the Eighth Amendment: An Analytical Framework for Determining Excessiveness on JSTOR

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Actually it's legal to yell fire in a theater. If there is a fire.

Well I assumed the context was yelling “fire” in a crowded theatre when there was none.
But thank you for the clarification nonetheless

Jones was justifiably punished with 4 million payed to the families.
Only 4 million?
I’ve seen what these talking heads allegedly make. That’s like fining Disney 10 million dollars. Would they even notice?
That’s like 5 bucks to Gay frogs guy, I’d imagine lol
Could be wrong but that’s just my impression

So when did additional punitive measures become to the point in society to where its essentially now 12 times on top of an orginal award?
That’s for your courts to decide. Like I said, I’m not an American, so I don’t know what your punitive legal measures are.
You tell me.