• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alex Jones to pay 49.3 million in Sandy Hook civil case.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Though I am sure that he will squeal like a stuck pig this will not even come close to bankrupting him, though I would not mind at all if that was what happened.
This is just the beginning. I'm sure by the time his chickens have come home to roost, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets wiped out. He deserves what's coming. And that's not even to mention charges for his perjury which got exposed at the end of this trial, and who knows what else once the Jan 6 committee investigates him and the DOJ looks at his role in the coop attempt. I wouldn't be surprised he finds himself in prison as well.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
No, he can keep saying what he wants, but if it harms people then the legal system will make him pay.

The odd thing about rights is that it demands the users of rights to be ethical for them to be an asset. Abuse rights and they become a liability.

Let's note that Jones is now claiming that he is broke, and if his listeners want the show to stay on the air they need to buy stuff in big numbers. That is a conman. Sounds a lot like Trump. They have the most gullible and stupid followers.
I could care less about Jones, but extravagant awards in addition to another already settled award just sets a precedent as a legal lever for censorship on whomever people deemed as beimg not likable or hated.

I'll wait for that legal gun to be one day turned back on those that support doing things like that in the future, and then watch them cry foul when it's used on them.

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
I could care less about Jones, but extravagant awards in addition to another already settled award just sets a precedent as a legal lever for censorship on whomever people deemed as beimg not likable or hated.

I'll wait for that legal gun to be one day turned back on those that support doing things like that in the future, and then watch them cry foul when it's used on them.

If, in the future, someone is spreading deliberate lies to make millions of dollars in profits while causing real harm to the individuals they're lying about, then yes, they should expect the same.

Jones is a vile piece of filth that has profited off of the pain and suffering of families who lost their children in a most excruciating way and they've had to live with the torment his lies have fueled.

And thanks to his lawyer inadvertently revealing the texts Jones swore he never made, the court now knows this dirtbag perjured himself. There isn't a small enough violin to play for him. About time he reaped a bit of what he's sown.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
It probably needs another thread, but there is a problem with punitive awards these days.

Some Thoughts on Punitive Damages | Manhattan Institute

The 4 million I'm OK with. That was the verdict made.

Do the crime do the time (or pay out). He had the clout, and platform to spew nonsense to the point of at least one family recieving regular death threats (that does a lot to a person's sense of safety and well-being).

The issues with the justice system in this instance are the least of my concerns and call this "just dessert".

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
So

So the standard going rate is 49.3 million for defamation and slander these days?
Sounds good to me for something so heinous and irresponsible coming from someone with such a sizeable audience and influence.
Real people had to live with the real consequences of his bull****. Actually, considering how bad it got, I would have placed it much higher.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Just a reminder.

Its clear you have absolutely have nothing to say as you now resorted to ad honimins.
Nope. Let's add ad hominems to the concepts that you do not understand. You already made it clear that you have no clue quite a while ago. A factual claim cannot be an ad hom.

All you had to do was to admit your ignorance and I would have politely told you why you were wrong. Until you do there really is not point in trying to explain why you are wrong.