• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alec Baldwin Killed More People Than My Guns Have

We Never Know

No Slack
If they cased the place, they likely tripped one of my cameras. Regardless, they don't likely know the woods like I do.

Another scenario. My 5 year old neice wanders into my bedroom and finds the gun I keep stashed there in case a couple of guys have cased my house and one is able to kick my door in.

Does your niece live with you? If she does you should keep the gun out of her reach, say up on the bedroom closet shelf at all times.

If she doesn't live with you, keep it there when she stays over.

We Never Know

No Slack
The same possibility exists if I had a gun ready, with the increased likelihood of the gun being used in ways other than home defense.

If someone is trying to kill me the last thing I would be worried about is "what if I kill them first".

See my last post about your niece.

We Never Know

No Slack
The same possibility exists if I had a gun ready, with the increased likelihood of the gun being used in ways other than home defense.

And to be clear, if you don't want or like guns, don't get any. Thats your choice and I respect your choice.
Many people have training with them. If not military at least short courses on how to handle a firearm(its better than nothing)

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Does your niece live with you? If she does you should keep the gun out of her reach, say up on the bedroom closet shelf at all times.

If she doesn't live with you, keep it there when she stays over.

Nope. But I do often have other people over, including my niece. What if one is suicidal, or just really likes the gun and decides to check it out? Or I forget to put it away and my neice does find it?

I see your point, but in your scenario there are so many factors not taken into account that simply having a gun at the ready isn't going to solve. What if someone does kick down my door and because they see my gun begins shooting? What are my chances then? What if the outside guy sees me in the window pulling the gun on his buddy and shoots at me through the window?

I am not unarmed, both with lethal and non-lethal options, and have trained in self-defense. But I don't keep a loaded gun unsecured. That's irresponsible and frankly dangerous.

We Never Know

No Slack
And to be clear, if you don't want or like guns, don't get any.
Many people have training with them. If not military at least short courses on how to handle a firearm(its better than nothing)
Nope. But I do often have other people over, including my niece. What if one is suicidal, or just really likes the gun and decides to check it out? Or I forget to put it away and my neice does find it?

I see your point, but in your scenario there are so many factors not taken into account that simply having a gun at the ready isn't going to solve. What if someone does kick down my door and because they see my gun begins shooting? What are my chances then? What if the outside guy sees me in the window pulling the gun on his buddy and shoots at me through the window?

I am not unarmed, both with lethal and non-lethal options, and have trained in self-defense. But I don't keep a loaded gun unsecured. That's irresponsible and frankly dangerous.

"Or I forget to put it away"..
Enough said. If you have company coming/or over and you "forget" to put your guns(s) away. In my opinion you don't need any.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
If someone is trying to kill me the last thing I would be worried about is "what if I kill them first".

See my last post about your niece.

Just because someone kicks in your door, it doesn't necessarily mean they're trying to kill you. What if it's your neighbor trying to warn you about an impending nuclear attack? It could be the cops.

A burglar just trying to steal stuff would most likely watch and wait until you're not home. But a home invasion is something different. Most of the home invasions I hear of around here involve drug gangs, where one gang is robbing a drug house belonging to another gang. The odds seem extremely slim that that sort of thing would happen to the average Joe. I doubt they would just go to any house at random for a home invasion. They'd have to know that there's something valuable inside.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I'm responsible if someone steals my car and runs someone over? How stupid is that logic?
So stupid that it is the law in Germany. Here you are responsible for stuff you own and you have to take reasonable measures that it isn't misused or poses any other danger.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Scenario...

Im in bed, someone kicks in my front or back door doing a home invasion, I grab my pistol thats by my bed,, I can protect my bedroom from anyone coming in.

You're in bed, someone kicks in your front or back door doing a home invasion, you are drilled... How do you protect your bedroom from anyone coming in?
You must be a very unpleasant guy if you regularly **** off people that you have to think about scenarios where people come to your home to hurt or kill you ...

I don't worry much about home invasions and I don't have to worry about home invasions where the assailant(s) are armed with guns. I just call 110 (911) and activate the camera on my phone. With the other hand I grab a stick or whatever is lying around.
And even in the very unlikely scenario of an attacker armed with a gun, my advantage is the 21 feet rule that always applies in the close quarters of a home.

Bodie

My father used to belong to the NRA-- until he saw just how radical and disnhonest they'd become. He got so angry with them that he took his NRA card, cut it up into small pieces, mailed it to the NRA and told them where they could put it [my dad was a WWII vet in the Pacific Theatre under MacArthur, so he was pansy, let me tell ya]. And now all hell has broke loose with them with their scandals, why should anyone now support that corrupt organization that loves guns more than our own people.

This post is a one-and-out as I have no willingness to read the lame excuses supporting the NRA and why guns are supposedly our best friends.

Does you or your fathers opinions of the NRA change the fact that implementing their basest common sense gun safety rules and safety advocacy programs could have saved a life in the Alec Baldwin incident?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I am glad your son survived!

One of my student a few years ago went on Thanksgiving break to a relative's house, found a loaded gun in a drawer and shot himself.

Had they kept that gun locked up, he could still be alive.
So sorry to read this as this also happened on my wife's side of the family whereas a couzen thought she had found a toy gun and killed her brother.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Does you or your fathers opinions of the NRA change the fact that implementing their basest common sense gun safety rules and safety advocacy programs could have saved a life in the Alec Baldwin incident?
As now agreed upon by many who were on the set, there was no need to keep any loaded guns there. The American movie industry decided as of a couple of days ago that no real guns, only plastic ones, should ever be on a movie set.