• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alcoholism

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I admit to being an alcoholic and a mind given to addiction to other substances (like tobacco). It is ruining my life, helping to ruin a friendship due to my angry outbursts while drunk and other regretful behavior, as well as undoubtably damaging my liver.

I do want to overcome this and I know I need God's help to do it. So if you could please keep me in your prayers, that would be appreciated. You can also post prayers and stories of Christians overcoming their battle with alcoholism or even addiction in general.

Here is a prayer I found:
"Dear Lord Jesus, we come to You in deep pain and sadness for those we know who are suffering in one way of another due to alcohol abuse. Both those that have been ensnared in their own excessive alcohol addiction and also those that are badly affected by the alcoholic abuse of someone else, a spouse, a parent, a child or a friend.

We know that You love and care for each and every addict and desire that they break free from their addiction. Remind them that Jesus died and rose again so that the power of sin and bondage to all forms of addiction might become ineffective in the life that is focused on the Lord Jesus.

We lift up all those we know who are suffering in any way, due to alcoholic abuse and addiction, especially those that we know personally, and pray that in Your grace and mercy You would do a great work in their lives, enabling those in bondage to break free of their debilitating addiction and those affected by the alcoholism of others to be kept our of harms way. May all come to a saving faith in Jesus and begin to enjoy a close walk with Him. In Jesus' name,

Amen."

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ!” - 1 Corinthians 15:57

Prayer for Alcoholics

Thank you, and God bless you all.

Deidre

Beautiful prayer, and I'll hold you in mine, as well. I do believe when we admit our flaws, and carry our cross to follow Jesus, the healing will come. It might always be a trigger for you, but you won't go it alone. There is no dark room that we encounter, that Jesus didn't encounter first. (he was sinless, but he encountered pain and suffering on a human level, to share in ours)

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Beautiful prayer, and I'll hold you in mine, as well. I do believe when we admit our flaws, and carry our cross to follow Jesus, the healing will come. It might always be a trigger for you, but you won't go it alone. There is no dark room that we encounter, that Jesus didn't encounter first. (he was sinless, but he encountered pain and suffering on a human level, to share in ours)
Thank you, dear Deidre. Lovely thoughts. It is very important to remember that the Lord always walks beside us in our trials. That's a great comfort to me in these very tough times in my life.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
You’re in my prayer.

Remember though...pray to the Father, through Jesus. John 14:6; Matthew 6:6-9.

Wish you the best, my cousin.

Prim969

I admit to being an alcoholic and a mind given to addiction to other substances (like tobacco). It is ruining my life, helping to ruin a friendship due to my angry outbursts while drunk and other regretful behavior, as well as undoubtably damaging my liver.

I do want to overcome this and I know I need God's help to do it. So if you could please keep me in your prayers, that would be appreciated. You can also post prayers and stories of Christians overcoming their battle with alcoholism or even addiction in general.

"Dear Lord Jesus, we come to You in deep pain and sadness for those we know who are suffering in one way of another due to alcohol abuse. Both those that have been ensnared in their own excessive alcohol addiction and also those that are badly affected by the alcoholic abuse of someone else, a spouse, a parent, a child or a friend.

We know that You love and care for each and every addict and desire that they break free from their addiction. Remind them that Jesus died and rose again so that the power of sin and bondage to all forms of addiction might become ineffective in the life that is focused on the Lord Jesus.

We lift up all those we know who are suffering in any way, due to alcoholic abuse and addiction, especially those that we know personally, and pray that in Your grace and mercy You would do a great work in their lives, enabling those in bondage to break free of their debilitating addiction and those affected by the alcoholism of others to be kept our of harms way. May all come to a saving faith in Jesus and begin to enjoy a close walk with Him. In Jesus' name,

Amen."

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ!” - 1 Corinthians 15:57

Prayer for Alcoholics

Saint Frankenstein the prayer is some comforting but maybe all the Lord ever wanted was just your meaningful words and your relationship with him. I guess I’m never much into reciting long prayers. As to the smoke I always saw it as something that men do enjoy when they want to relax or are deep in thought I never realised it was a sin. But if you think you must give up than I’m sure Lord will do. Everything in his time ❤️

PureX

Veteran Member
Addiction is defined by the loss of control over the addictive behavior. So by definition, the addict is incapable of stopping the behavior on their own. And given the fact that most alcoholics will die as active alcoholics (nearly 85%) the need for external help becomes even more urgent. Prayer may work for some, but not many. Prayer may work for you, but it's not likely. So that if it does not, please keep in mind that Alcoholics Anonymous has the best track record at helping alcoholics get sober and stay that way (about 50% of those who seek help get and stay sober past one year). There are some Christian recovery groups, but their success rate is not very good, and they are few and far between.

I was an active alcoholic for over 20 years. When I finally 'hit bottom' at age 35, and had nowhere else to turn, I went to AA for help. I couldn't afford any fancy recovery and AA asked nothing of me but that I keep showing up. So I did. I had no hope of ever having a normal life, and I didn't really even believe I could stay sober, but I kept going to the meetings, every evening, instead of drinking.

I have now been sober for 27 years. And I would not trade my worst day sober for my best day drunk. Once I stopped trying to "control my drinking", and just gave up and surrendered my will to the program and the people of recovery (to God's help in real life): to people who knew how to do what I didn't, I somehow became able not to drink. ... One day at a time. And after my head cleared a bit, I slowly began to learn how to live life without it. How to be a sober 'me'.

So if you find that prayer alone doesn't work for you, remember that God has put a group of people in the world, and has made them available to you simply for showing up, to help you do what you probably cannot do by yourself. They are just people like yourself, but who have already begun that road to recovery, and so can help you to do the same.

Last edited:

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

Amen."

Prayer for Alcoholics

Beautiful.. know that I add my agreement to your prayer!

As an encouraging word for you:

Phil 1:6 being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. - you are a good work not a bad work

Rom 8:1 Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, - God does not condemn you, we do not condemn you... be free from any self-condemnation

Rom 8: 35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? - God still loves you and you are loved

1 John 5:4 for everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith. - you are an overcomer and your faith (God given) is your strength

Mark 11: 24 Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. 25 And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive them, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins.” - Pray, then thank God for the finished work as you forgive others and forgive yourself.

Do hope this encourages you... I am praying.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Saint Frankenstein the prayer is some comforting but maybe all the Lord ever wanted was just your meaningful words and your relationship with him. I guess I’m never much into reciting long prayers. As to the smoke I always saw it as something that men do enjoy when they want to relax or are deep in thought I never realised it was a sin. But if you think you must give up than I’m sure Lord will do. Everything in his time ❤️
I don't know if smoking tobacco qualifies as a sin or not. It is quite harmful to your body and your health, so it is something we're all better off without. It also stinks, is generally disgusting and makes you nauseous. I wish I hadn't started again, especially since since I tend to smoke quite harsh and strong brands like Djarum Black cigars and American Spirit. They're quite stronger than a Marlboro, for instance.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Addiction is defined by the loss of control over the addictive behavior. So by definition, the addict is incapable of stopping the behavior on their own. And given the fact that most alcoholics will die as active alcoholics (nearly 85%) the need for external help becomes even more urgent. Prayer may work for some, but not many. Prayer may work for you, but it's not likely. So that if it does not, please keep in mind that Alcoholics Anonymous has the best track record at helping alcoholics get sober and stay that way (about 50% of those who seek help get and stay sober past one year). There are some Christian recovery groups, but their success rate is not very good, and they are few and far between.

I was an active alcoholic for over 20 years. When I finally 'hit bottom' at age 35, and had nowhere else to turn, I went to AA for help. I couldn't afford any fancy recovery and AA asked nothing of me but that I keep showing up. So I did. I had no hope of ever having a normal life, and I didn't really even believe I could stay sober, but I kept going to the meetings, every evening, instead of drinking.

I have now been sober for 27 years. And I would not trade my worst day sober for my best day drunk. Once I stopped trying to "control my drinking", and just gave up and surrendered my will to the program and the people of recovery (to God's help in real life): to people who knew how to do what I didn't, I somehow became able not to drink. ... One day at a time. And after my head cleared a bit, I slowly began to learn how to live life without it. How to be a sober 'me'.

So if you find that prayer alone doesn't work for you, remember that God has put a group of people in the world, and has made them available to you simply for showing up, to help you do what you probably cannot do by yourself. They are just people like yourself, but who have already begun that road to recovery, and so can help you to do the same.
Oh, I certainly know that I will need more than prayer alone to kick alcohol. But it certainly doesn't hurt. I have been to AA meetings before as a supporter for others. Honestly, I wasn't a fan of their approach of viewing themselves as powerless and didn't care for the faith-based approach at that times. But the more I consider it, the more merit it seems to have. I have tried multiple times to just stop drinking and that hasn't worked. It also doesn't help that I have no support system in my life to be accountable to and to check on me and encourage me. So a sponsor would likely help.

PureX

Veteran Member
Oh, I certainly know that I will need more than prayer alone to kick alcohol. But it certainly doesn't hurt. I have been to AA meetings before as a supporter for others. Honestly, I wasn't a fan of their approach of viewing themselves as powerless and didn't care for the faith-based approach at that times. But the more I consider it, the more merit it seems to have. I have tried multiple times to just stop drinking and that hasn't worked. It also doesn't help that I have no support system in my life to be accountable to and to check on me and encourage me. So a sponsor would likely help.
That surrender, though, is the key. Think of it as surrendering to the reality of an addiction. To the fact that it cannot be controlled by self-will. And to the external help that, by the grace of God, is available to those who need it. And too, keep in mind that it's not about what we want, it's about what we need, to live. Alcohol addiction is like having terminal cancer. It WILL kill us, slowly. And it will take away everything we love and care about along the way. It's a horrific disease. And there is no cure.